Author Topic: How Has Stephen Hawking Lived Past 70 with ALS?  (Read 590 times)

rangerrebew

How Has Stephen Hawking Lived Past 70 with ALS?
« on: March 09, 2017, 12:27:01 pm »
How Has Stephen Hawking Lived Past 70 with ALS?

An expert on Lou Gehrig's disease explains what we know about this debilitating condition and how Hawking has beaten the odds

By Katherine Harmon on January 7, 2012 56

Credit: Wikimedia Commons/rubberpaw

Stephen Hawking turns 70 on Sunday, beating the odds of a daunting diagnosis by nearly half a century.

The famous theoretical physicist has helped to bring his ideas about black holes and quantum gravity to a broad public audience. For much of his time in the public eye, though, he has been confined to a wheelchair by a form of the motor-neuron disease amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). And since 1985 he has had to speak through his trademark computer system—which he operates with his cheek—and have around-the-clock care.

But his disease seems hardly to have slowed him down. Hawking spent 30 years as a full professor of mathematics at the University of Cambridge. And he is currently the director of research at the school's Center for Theoretical Cosmology.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/stephen-hawking-als/
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 12:27:44 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: How Has Stephen Hawking Lived Past 70 with ALS?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 12:32:56 pm »
I think we are lucky or blessed that he's alive, the man is a genius, and contributed so much to science.

He's also an inspiration to me.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: How Has Stephen Hawking Lived Past 70 with ALS?
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 01:32:29 pm »
Not saying anything bad about Dr. Hawking, but he does get better medical care than the average person gets from the Podunk bar, grille, and ER/clinic.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis