Author Topic: The Wages of War without Strategy, Part I: Clausewitz, Vietnam, and the Roots of Strategic Confusion  (Read 360 times)

rangerrebew

The Wages of War without Strategy, Part I: Clausewitz, Vietnam, and the Roots of Strategic Confusion
Robert Cassidy and Jacqueline Tame
January 5, 2017

hue-walls
For special access to experts and other members of the national security community, check out the new War on the Rocks membership.
Print Friendly

Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn

It is important to remember, in the discussions on which we are about to embark, that they ultimately concern violence, and that our moral and practical decisions have real consequences in the use of force, and all that the use of force entails for suffering and death.

Philip Bobbit, The Shield of Achilles

In a matter of weeks, this country will see a change in presidential administrations.  President-elect Donald Trump will inherit a country that has been committed in overseas wars directly or indirectly during every decade from Vietnam until the present.  This is a country that will be seeking strategic definition and direction.  Those who follow national and international security issues closely will be seeking a rationale for the way ahead that will allay concerns about the state of the world and their place in it.  A question that persists is, with unmatched wealth and military prowess, why has America seen such poor outcomes in many of its wars from Vietnam to today?

https://warontherocks.com/2017/01/the-wages-of-war-without-strategy-part-i-clausewitz-vietnam-and-the-roots-of-strategic-confusion/
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 12:22:11 pm by rangerrebew »