Author Topic: Maladjusted, Part I: 21st-Century Attack  (Read 331 times)

rangerrebew

Maladjusted, Part I: 21st-Century Attack
« on: March 08, 2017, 12:16:49 pm »
Maladjusted, Part I: 21st-Century Attack
Mike Pietrucha
February 13, 2017

a7d-corsair-Garzelnick
For special access to experts and other members of the national security community, check out the new War on the Rocks membership.
Print Friendly

Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn

Once upon a time, the Air Force was flush with attack aircraft. Late in the 20th century, the Air Force maintained large numbers of attack aircraft, peaking in 1983 with a total inventory of 1,115 attack aircraft in three different models. Today, most mentions of the attack aircraft relate only to the A-10 Warthog, and underappreciated aircraft perennially in danger of retirement. Even among Air Force officers who should know better, the A-10 is referred to as a close air support (CAS) aircraft, discounting the myriad other roles that the aircraft has performed. Attack aircraft are the elderly second cousin at the Air Force dinner table, rarely spoken of and relegated to the status of historical relic, banished even from the official Joint Dictionary. This unfortunate condition makes it exceedingly difficult to discuss the utility, role, and historical contribution of attack aircraft to combat airpower. And it makes it especially difficult to discuss the most critical aspect of all — the Air Force needs to bring them back.

History

https://warontherocks.com/2017/02/maladjusted-part-i-21st-century-attack/
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 12:17:28 pm by rangerrebew »