Author Topic: Seventh National Security Cutter is Christened  (Read 546 times)

rangerrebew

Seventh National Security Cutter is Christened
« on: March 08, 2017, 12:03:56 pm »
Posted: March 6, 2017 9:57 AM
Seventh National Security Cutter is Christened

PASCAGOULA, Miss. — Huntington Ingalls Industries’ Ingalls Shipbuilding division christened the seventh Legend-class National Security Cutter, Kimball (WMSL 756), March 4 in front of approximately 1,000 guests.

“We wouldn’t be able to bring this ship to life without the great work that we see here at Huntington Ingalls shipyard,” said U.S. Coast Guard Commandant Adm. Paul F. Zukunft, who was the ceremony’s keynote speaker. “I am moved every time I come onto this facility and I see ‘What you do today matters.’ And the reason why it matters so much is that in the year 2060, this ship will still be serving with a whole new generation as its crew. Many other nations around the world model themselves after the United States Coast Guard. We are the premier Coast Guard in the world. We would not be that without these magnificent ships being built in Pascagoula today.”

The ship is named in honor of Sumner I. Kimball, who organized and directed the U.S. Life-Saving Service and was a pioneer in organizing all of the different facilities associated with the service into what eventually would become toady’s U.S. Coast Guard.

http://seapowermagazine.org/stories/20170306-kimball.html
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 12:04:36 pm by rangerrebew »