Author Topic: Texas' growing Latino population underscores need to focus on education  (Read 1830 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Texas' growing Latino population underscores need to focus on education
By Mercedes Oliviera

Once again, Texas legislators were reminded this week of the need to educate the state's fastest-growing population — Latinos.

Speaking to the state House Committee on County Affairs, former state demographer Steve Murdock pointed out the demographic shift that continues to take shape in Texas.

The 2010 census showed that the state's population was less than 50 percent non-Hispanic white, and this population is growing relatively slowly. But ethnic populations — especially Hispanics — continue to grow rapidly.

Continued: http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-column/2017/02/24/texas-growing-latino-population-underscores-need-focus-education

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The census numbers also includes illegal aliens.

"If we want Texas to be greater, we have to raise the income and the education that goes with that for our minority populations," Murdock told the committee.

No. we need to deport the illegal aliens and their "Birthright Citizenship" children.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The first thing I would do is educate them to speak English.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

The first thing I would do is educate them to speak English.

Having the ability to speak Spanish (map) is not an indicator of inability to speak English.  I do agree all government type communication needs to be in English.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Having the ability to speak Spanish (map) is not an indicator of inability to speak English.  I do agree all government type communication needs to be in English.
That map indicates the % of Spanish Speakers in the home.

I never said they could not speak English.  I said they need education in order to speak it.  If the household does not typically speak it, chances are they need more education to speak it properly.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
That map indicates the % of Spanish Speakers in the home.

I never said they could not speak English.  I said they need education in order to speak it.  If the household does not typically speak it, chances are they need more education to speak it properly.

Education has nothing to do with their not speaking English. They have no motivation or desire to speak it . They have no desire to assimilate. You cannot force them to learn. It is not an education issue. And you want them  to speak proper English? I bet the majority of them cannot even speak Proper Spanish.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Education has nothing to do with their not speaking English. They have no motivation or desire to speak it . They have no desire to assimilate. You cannot force them to learn. It is not an education issue. And you want them  to speak proper English? I bet the majority of them cannot even speak Proper Spanish.
Do you simply lump all speakers of Spanish together?

For instance, does that include Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio and GW Bush ??

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Do you simply lump all speakers of Spanish together?

For instance, does that include Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio and GW Bush ??
I am referring the Spanish speakers that refuse to assimilate  and refuse to learn English. From that I formed the assumption that they are typically uneducated. And if they are uneducated then most likely they didn't even learn the proper nuances of their own language.

I think we are speaking the same, just different on semantics.
One reason people refuse to assimilate is that there is a language barrier caused by not learning a language well enough to use it in ordinary communication.  When we have the legal signs, the voting booth and lots of other things in languages other than English, they retire back to their 'comfortable language'.

Education of these people in basic civics taught in English, and the cessation of dual-language in our Society will entice or force these people to use English more and do what you wish them to do, assimilate.

Diversity is a bunch of crap, and never helped a Society to become better.  It weakens them.