Author Topic: Berkeley Deletes 20,000 Free Online Videos to Comply with Insane Department of Justice Ruling  (Read 451 times)

rangerrebew

Berkeley Deletes 200,000 Free Online Videos to Comply with Insane Department of Justice Ruling
In the name of equality, destroy your valuable public resource

Robby Soave|Mar. 7, 2017 8:31 am

BerkeleyPublic DomainThe handicappers general in the Department of Justice strike again: the University of California, Berkeley, is deleting a massive amount of free, online content in order to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Berkeley previously housed an online library consisting of more than 200,000 videos of lectures. These videos were free and accessible to the public. But they are free no longer: next week, administrators will withdraw access to anyone who isn't a Berkeley student or professor.

Why? Because the federal government left them no other choice.

http://reason.com/blog/2017/03/07/berkeley-deletes-200000-free-online-vide

Title edited. See note.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 06:49:57 pm by Mod2 »

Offline Suppressed

Two employees of Gallaudet University—a school for the deaf in Washington, D.C.—filed a complaint with DOJ alleging that Berkeley's online content was inaccessible to the hearing-disabled community.

Many activists for the hearing impaired are some of the most awful people I've known.

Note:
Updated: The number of videos Berkeley must remove from public access has been corrected: it's 20,000, not 200,000. I regret the error.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline starstruck

• Hoping 2018 is a good year
Many activists for the hearing impaired are some of the most awful people I've known.

Note:
Years ago my daughter was dating this guy when she got a call from someone who was interpreting for the deaf. Turns out the deaf ex-girlfriend was using this person to unload her beef against the guy on my daughter. It was embarrassing to both the interpreter and my daughter. The interpreter told my daughter that she was required to do this as it was her job. After a number of these calls my daughter decided the guy wasn't worth the hassle.
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people�s liberty teeth and keystone under independence. � George Washington

Offline Mod2

Moved to Opinion (when the title calls something or someone insane, it's probably an opinion piece).

Offline starstruck

• Hoping 2018 is a good year
Moved to Opinion (when the title calls something or someone insane, it's probably an opinion piece).

Are you insane?
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people�s liberty teeth and keystone under independence. � George Washington

Offline Polly Ticks

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Mod2

As the article has been updated with the correct figure of 20,000, not 200,000, I have edited the title to correct this.