Author Topic: First Aid  (Read 592 times)

rangerrebew

First Aid
« on: March 07, 2017, 11:22:53 am »
First Aid
Email this page to a friend Print Facebook Twitter Google+ Subscribe to RSS
On this page
Basics

Summary
    Start Here

Learn More

Related Issues
    Specifics

See, Play and Learn

Images

Research

Statistics and Research
    Clinical Trials
    Journal Articles

Resources

Find an Expert

For You

Children
    Patient Handouts

Summary

Accidents happen. Someone chokes on an ice cube or gets stung by a bee. It is important to know when to call 9-1-1 -- it is for life-threatening emergencies. While waiting for help to arrive, you may be able to save someone's life. Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) is for people whose hearts or breathing has stopped and the Heimlich maneuver is for people who are choking.

You can also learn to handle common injuries and wounds. Cuts and scrapes, for example, should be rinsed with cool water. To stop bleeding, apply firm but gentle pressure, using gauze. If blood soaks through, add more gauze, keeping the first layer in place. Continue to apply pressure.

It is important to have a first aid kit available. Keep one at home and one in your car. It should include a first-aid guide. Read the guide to learn how to use the items, so you are ready in case an emergency happens.

https://medlineplus.gov/firstaid.html
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 11:23:42 am by rangerrebew »

Offline thackney

Re: First Aid
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 04:27:23 pm »
BTTT

I'm amazed at the number of people with kids in activities where injuries are "common" and don't bother to have $10 First Aid kit, but spends thousands, even tens of thousands of dollars to be there.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 04:54:11 pm »
Rub some dirt on it and walk it off! What else do I need to know. Just kidding of course.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 05:01:45 pm »
BTTT

I'm amazed at the number of people with kids in activities where injuries are "common" and don't bother to have $10 First Aid kit, but spends thousands, even tens of thousands of dollars to be there.
When my son played Little League ball, I could not understand that there was usually no first aid available for the kids. So I made sure I always had first aid available for the kids. And always adequate drinking water too.

Offline thackney

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 05:23:39 pm »
When my son played Little League ball, I could not understand that there was usually no first aid available for the kids. So I made sure I always had first aid available for the kids. And always adequate drinking water too.

Youth rodeos for us.  I'm not sure I've been to one yet that didn't involve some blood, and all too often an ambulance or even life-flight.

All our friends know where to find a decent first aid kit, in our trailer.  Last month I was amazed when a father was asking if anyone had a first aid kit because I knew he was an EMT.  (I brought it to him without comment, but he made the comment himself that he couldn't believe he was here without one)
Life is fragile, handle with prayer