Author Topic: Here’s Why ‘The Walking Dead’ Creator Didn’t Want Negan in the TV Show  (Read 693 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
obert Kirkman has done the creative team at The Walking Dead an enormous accidental favor.

While interest in the zombie television series has waned this season, it’s worth noting that recent episodes of The Walking Dead have featured some of the most exciting, enormous ideas and characters from the show’s history – which has no doubt gone some way to combatting the slump in attention the newest season has been enduring.

Chief among these specular concepts are the characters of Shiva and Negan; a live tiger and a particularly bloodthirsty maniac, respectively.

But according to Robert Kirkman, the writer of The Walking Dead comic series that the show is based upon, he designed both of these over-the-top characters as a direct attempt to create ideas that the TV series wouldn’t be able to adapt in live action:

“A lot of the things that are adapted into the show now are things that happened to come in after the existence of the show, and I can’t help but notice that there is some kind of difference. Now you’ve got Ezekiel walking around, acting like a lunatic. Negan’s walking around — in the comic, he’s dropping the f-word every two seconds, and that’s something you can’t do on the show. We’ve got a freakin’ tiger that’s in the show now.

“That was clearly me going, ‘They’re never going to get to this stuff, and if they do get to this stuff, they’re never going to be able to adapt it, so I’m just going hog wild. I had to prove to myself internally that I was not changing what I was planning to do with a mind towards how we were going to adapt it when we got there on the show. I went so overboard that I think it did change in the comic in some way — but I feel like it made it more awesome.”

It's fun to think that Robert Kirkman’s most powerful, exciting ideas have made their way into the show, despite his attempts to makes things far too overblown to work on a TV budget. It’s also great to hear that the comic creator is so impressed with the way his ideas have been implemented on the big screen.

More: http://www.obsev.com/entertainment/heres-why-walking-dead-creator-didnt-want-negan-tv-show.html

I don't watch it, but posting for those who do enjoy it.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink