Author Topic: How Much Is Enough?  (Read 7400 times)

Offline thackney

Re: How Much Is Enough?
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2017, 05:42:12 pm »
I don't see anything like I used too. But I can't see putting and optic on a lever action. To me it just takes away the handiness of the gun. And my Rem760 isn't tapped for a scope.
I haven't hunted for years with any of my unscoped weapons. Next time I go to the range I'm going to shoot the 45/70. I just looked thru it and I can focus good on the target and the front sight. You're not supposed to focus on the aperture so I don't think my crappy near vision would be an issue. If I can't shoot durn with it, I'll give it to one of my sons. I'll never scope it.

I have similar thoughts.  I've got my bolt action for a good scope and the ability to reach out farther than I can reasonably see.  I enjoy the levers for other uses.  I'm thinking of mounting a leather scabbard on the tractor for one.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2017, 05:43:13 pm »
I might have to buy in bulk sooner than I thought. 

Came home...range bag was gone...so was my 1911 AND the new Ruger SP 101 and a note saying "gone to the range".
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2017, 05:50:57 pm »
I still have the one for .30-06. When I got my first one, I thought the RCBS Rockchucker press was a gift from heaven!
I went from the Lee Loaders up to the RCBS Jr and a Knee Bench. You'd set it on the floor and hold it down with your knee. I used it for all my reloading while I was in the Navy. Lately I've been using Wilson dies and an arbor press. My son has a Dillon  with a lot of pre set plates.

I was stationed on the Lexington and once we pulled into Galveston. My folks had split up and Mom was moving. I grabbed all my reloading stuff, brought it on-board and stowed it in my bunk. On the way back to Pensacola we had a bunk inspection. Master Chief about fell out when he saw all the powder, primers, bullets, and even Grandpa's blackjack and brass knuckles(he was a prison warden). No loaded ammo though. Chief just said to get it all off the ship.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2017, 06:41:01 pm »
I don't see anything like I used too. But I can't see putting and optic on a lever action. To me it just takes away the handiness of the gun. And my Rem760 isn't tapped for a scope.
I haven't hunted for years with any of my unscoped weapons. Next time I go to the range I'm going to shoot the 45/70. I just looked thru it and I can focus good on the target and the front sight. You're not supposed to focus on the aperture so I don't think my crappy near vision would be an issue. If I can't shoot durn with it, I'll give it to one of my sons. I'll never scope it.
I agree about a scope on a lever action, but then, my lever rifles are pretty well reserved for ranges close enough I can sight and see well enough with iron sights, and usually either used for plinking (.22) or hunting in brush and tighter confines.
To me, the beauty of the scope is that I can aim small and 'miss small' over longer distances when I'm out on the prairie or 'up on top' in the breaks, where the shots are longer. (That and having the option of seeing in the dark.)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2017, 06:47:35 pm »
I went from the Lee Loaders up to the RCBS Jr and a Knee Bench. You'd set it on the floor and hold it down with your knee. I used it for all my reloading while I was in the Navy. Lately I've been using Wilson dies and an arbor press. My son has a Dillon  with a lot of pre set plates.

I was stationed on the Lexington and once we pulled into Galveston. My folks had split up and Mom was moving. I grabbed all my reloading stuff, brought it on-board and stowed it in my bunk. On the way back to Pensacola we had a bunk inspection. Master Chief about fell out when he saw all the powder, primers, bullets, and even Grandpa's blackjack and brass knuckles(he was a prison warden). No loaded ammo though. Chief just said to get it all off the ship.
I had a Lee press, mounted to an old kitchen slide-out counter section (those cabinets were gone, that was the surviving bit), and I'd clamp it to the dining room table.

A group of us would get around one of those old spools with three rockchuckers and pass the cases around the table until we had enough to go shooting, and then go heat up the rifles. Those were good times.
I wanted to get a Dillon, but by the time I could afford it didn't have the room and when I had the space, didn't have the money (spent it on guns or optics or ammo  :shrug:). Anyway, excuses aside, that hasn't happened yet. As far as anyone griping about anything firearm, well, not in my house :laugh: Mrs. Joe likes to shoot as much as I do, and she's a crack shot to boot. :laugh:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 06:48:33 pm by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2017, 06:53:11 pm »
I agree about a scope on a lever action, but then, my lever rifles are pretty well reserved for ranges close enough I can sight and see well enough with iron sights, and usually either used for plinking (.22) or hunting in brush and tighter confines.
To me, the beauty of the scope is that I can aim small and 'miss small' over longer distances when I'm out on the prairie or 'up on top' in the breaks, where the shots are longer. (That and having the option of seeing in the dark.)
To see in the dark, I picked up an Armasight Spark CORE night vision monocular. I use it on a skull crusher mount, to use with an IR laser sight.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2017, 06:58:11 pm »
To see in the dark, I picked up an Armasight Spark CORE night vision monocular. I use it on a skull crusher mount, to use with an IR laser sight.
What laser sights would you recommend, or have you had good performance from?
I have had a few cheap ones and the ones someone didn't rip off to play with their cat usually failed pretty quickly.

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2017, 07:13:07 pm »
What laser sights would you recommend, or have you had good performance from?
I have had a few cheap ones and the ones someone didn't rip off to play with their cat usually failed pretty quickly.
I've gone thru some junky lasers too.  My latest laser sight is the Vector Optics SCGL-04  Viper Wolf Tactical Green Laser IR Laser Combo Sight for Night Vision.
Being a dual IR/Green its kinda klunky, but it seems pretty good to me so far. I forget who I bought it from but I now see that Amazon carries it(what don't they carry now)
https://www.amazon.com/Vector-Optics-Viper-Tactical-Vision/dp/B00LWRH79W

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2017, 08:13:22 pm »
I've gone thru some junky lasers too.  My latest laser sight is the Vector Optics SCGL-04  Viper Wolf Tactical Green Laser IR Laser Combo Sight for Night Vision.
Being a dual IR/Green its kinda klunky, but it seems pretty good to me so far. I forget who I bought it from but I now see that Amazon carries it(what don't they carry now)
https://www.amazon.com/Vector-Optics-Viper-Tactical-Vision/dp/B00LWRH79W
Thanks! I'll check that out. I notice it says CR-2 batteries not the CR123A (which I have a few of)...Is the size different?

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2017, 08:46:19 pm »
Thanks! I'll check that out. I notice it says CR-2 batteries not the CR123A (which I have a few of)...Is the size different?
123 is bigger. Wont fit.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2017, 11:09:48 pm »
123 is bigger. Wont fit.
Rats. Oh well, I'll find a use for them.

C S Lewis