Author Topic: How Much Is Enough?  (Read 7401 times)

Offline thackney

Re: How Much Is Enough?
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2017, 07:06:03 pm »
Anyone here have experience buying or shooting ammo from Parabellum Research?

https://www.pbrammo.com/what-pbr

In addition to great pricing, they offer my hard to find 44 Special in 7 different flavors.

https://www.pbrammo.com/catalog/ammunition-caliber/44-special

Linked from http://www.gunbot.net/ via Elderberry

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2017, 09:45:08 pm »
Your link makes me sad, they don't even list 44 mag, let alone the special.

That is precisely why I let my .44 go, and went to .45ACP as my primary. It's way cheaper, and way more available.

Offline thackney

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2017, 10:24:07 pm »
That is precisely why I let my .44 go, and went to .45ACP as my primary. It's way cheaper, and way more available.

No doubt, it is just a toy, and hopefully one day a slayer of a feral hog.  Certainly never my primary for any use.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2017, 10:43:35 pm »
No doubt, it is just a toy, and hopefully one day a slayer of a feral hog.  Certainly never my primary for any use.
Well I have my lever action .44 easy to grab in case of a home break in etc. I have a friend who reloads who helps me keep enough on hand to practice with, but I really need to get a lever action .22 so I can get more range time. 
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2017, 10:48:27 pm »
Well I have my lever action .44 easy to grab in case of a home break in etc. I have a friend who reloads who helps me keep enough on hand to practice with, but I really need to get a lever action .22 so I can get more range time.
One of my Navy shooting buddies had the Browning BL-22. I sure loved that lever action. I couldn't out shoot him with my Remington 512.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2017, 12:58:17 am »
My lever actions have a steel butt-plate.  I find with my set-up, I just don't shoot very many 44 mags.  I've loaded the tube full, and ended up levering a few rounds out more than once.  A bad stance / loose shoulder fit on a shot or two and I get done in a hurry.
I had some hot loads for the Super Blackhawk which were too much for the Marlin (they'd jack the action open). While fine for the pistol, that's no good for the rifle. I worked up a load using 4227 http://www.reloadammo.com/44loads.htm (data is close) which was much milder and more predictable, and found I liked it better than the previous loads in both firearms. It's a mite more forgiving (I have a steel butt plate on the Marlin, too.) . I really like the Marlin back in the breaks as a brush gun, with 240 gr jacketed hollow points for deer (whitetail). It isn't a 300+ yard load, but you are commonly dealing with distances under 150, sometimes much less, so it suits the application just fine.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2017, 12:59:57 am »
My wife has a Henry she likes.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2017, 01:37:06 am »

My 357 lever has a shorter barrel and easier to swing in close quarters.  I got the 44 with a 20 inch barrel hoping the extra weight would help a  little on recoil, as well as make it easier to tell them apart.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2017, 01:51:06 am »
My 357 lever has a shorter barrel and easier to swing in close quarters.  I got the 44 with a 20 inch barrel hoping the extra weight would help a  little on recoil, as well as make it easier to tell them apart.
My lever gun is a 45-70 Marlin and recoil is not an issue, but I load 300gr Hornady hollowpoints for deer, not the heavy stuff.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2017, 04:35:22 am »
My lever gun is a 45-70 Marlin and recoil is not an issue, but I load 300gr Hornady hollowpoints for deer, not the heavy stuff.

Yep.

Although, I am tall, and long in the arm, so I generally have a 2" pad on any rifle I have. Makes that 45/70  a whole lot easier...
And, since mine's the short one, I've got the feed tube off the long one, and got it machined down to fit mine... Gives two more rounds, one of which is the merc balancer at the top. It's beginning to be about like shooting a 30/30, even with big loads.

Nice gun.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2017, 05:10:15 am »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2017, 01:22:16 pm »
Yep.

Although, I am tall, and long in the arm, so I generally have a 2" pad on any rifle I have. Makes that 45/70  a whole lot easier...
And, since mine's the short one, I've got the feed tube off the long one, and got it machined down to fit mine... Gives two more rounds, one of which is the merc balancer at the top. It's beginning to be about like shooting a 30/30, even with big loads.

Nice gun.
@roamer_1

What I would really love is the Marlin 1895 chambered in .45 Silhouette.   It is the 45-70 case cut down from 2.1 inches to 1.5 inches. As the 45-70 was designed back in black powder days, using modern smokeless powder, the case length is excessive for the power that I load to. That way more rounds will fit in the magazine.

https://books.google.com/books?id=wocFDQAAQBAJ&pg=PA309&lpg=PA309&dq=45+silhouette&source=bl&ots=LsCvNOtnXP&sig=rSb5rmqhdf12tfCrOixHubacaOc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj5k_bw_cbSAhUE7IMKHUNlD6Y4ChDoAQg1MAY#v=onepage&q=45%20silhouette&f=false

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2017, 02:16:23 pm »
@roamer_1

What I would really love is the Marlin 1895 chambered in .45 Silhouette.   It is the 45-70 case cut down from 2.1 inches to 1.5 inches. As the 45-70 was designed back in black powder days, using modern smokeless powder, the case length is excessive for the power that I load to. That way more rounds will fit in the magazine.

https://books.google.com/books?id=wocFDQAAQBAJ&pg=PA309&lpg=PA309&dq=45+silhouette&source=bl&ots=LsCvNOtnXP&sig=rSb5rmqhdf12tfCrOixHubacaOc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj5k_bw_cbSAhUE7IMKHUNlD6Y4ChDoAQg1MAY#v=onepage&q=45%20silhouette&f=false
What about: https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever-action/model-1894/model-1894-45-colt
 It's .45 long colt, 10 shot magazine.
Unreal how prices have gone up. I bought my 1894 for $180.00, brand new...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 02:18:43 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2017, 02:25:56 pm »

@Elderberry

Great idea, but i'll keep my big loads for most of the time... The reason I stepped my brush gun up from a 30/30 is primarily for griz and moose (cougar, and now wolf). Since my illness, I get along, but I cannot run by any means... Nor haul myself up a tree, even with moose snot all over my back. Lacking those fairly critical features, I decided to embrace the Big Bang Theory. And that 45/70 does that with bells on. Not to mention shooting true without nearly any regard for brush density whatsoever...

However, my Remington 700 300WinMag might just get a .458 overhaul... It has crossed my mind...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 02:29:07 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2017, 02:30:05 pm »
What about: https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever-action/model-1894/model-1894-45-colt
 It's .45 long colt, 10 shot magazine.
Unreal how prices have gone up. I bought my 1894 for $180.00, brand new...
Yes. You are right. Times have changed. Years ago there weren't many heavy .452 bullets to choose from. Now I think the Rossi 92 454 Casull would be the one I'd like.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2017, 02:34:10 pm »
My first lever action was a Glenfield30 for $58.00 brand new.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2017, 02:44:34 pm »
My first lever action was a Glenfield30 for $58.00 brand new.
LOL! Back when you could plink all day for a dollar!

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2017, 02:50:39 pm »
LOL! Back when you could plink all day for a dollar!
Just about. I picked up a Lee Loader for it and began loading my own on my first centerfire. I was about 13(I think?)

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2017, 02:53:02 pm »
Just about. I picked up a Lee Loader for it and began loading my own on my first centerfire. I was about 13(I think?)
I still have the one for .30-06. When I got my first one, I thought the RCBS Rockchucker press was a gift from heaven!

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2017, 02:55:27 pm »
Yes. You are right. Times have changed. Years ago there weren't many heavy .452 bullets to choose from. Now I think the Rossi 92 454 Casull would be the one I'd like.

My two are both Rossi 92.  Very plain woodstock.  I've considered removing the safety to replace with a peephole sight, very poor safety anyways.  But the actions are always smooth and the trigger is appropriate for the price.  But I bought them both as something I wouldn't hesitate to carry through the brush.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2017, 03:09:32 pm »
I have the Williams Foolproof peeps on my lever guns. I've never had a safety on one though.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2017, 03:14:07 pm »
I have the Williams Foolproof peeps on my lever guns. I've never had a safety on one though.
One thing I will say about the Marlin. Right out of the box with just the factory standard sights I'd have to rate it as one of the most accurate rifles I have owned. I lined up a bunch of 12 Ga hulls on a plank, sat down and started picking them off with the first shot. Sweet rifle.

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2017, 03:28:44 pm »
I like peeps. All my non scoped rifles have them. 1895Marlin. Glenfield30. M1 Garands. Even my flintlock. Rem 760. 95Mauser. MAS49/56. Not many military rifles don't have them.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 04:06:16 pm by Elderberry »

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2017, 04:29:39 pm »
I like peeps. All my non scoped rifles have them. 1895Marlin. Glenfield30. M1 Garands. Even my flintlock. Rem 760. 95Mauser. MAS49/56. Not many military rifles don't have them.
I have peeps on a few, but mostly 'blade and notch' (or 'issue' sights). I find as I get older and reach out further I am increasingly going to optics. Still, all but one have iron sights.

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2017, 05:31:31 pm »
I have peeps on a few, but mostly 'blade and notch' (or 'issue' sights). I find as I get older and reach out further I am increasingly going to optics. Still, all but one have iron sights.
I don't see anything like I used too. But I can't see putting and optic on a lever action. To me it just takes away the handiness of the gun. And my Rem760 isn't tapped for a scope.
I haven't hunted for years with any of my unscoped weapons. Next time I go to the range I'm going to shoot the 45/70. I just looked thru it and I can focus good on the target and the front sight. You're not supposed to focus on the aperture so I don't think my crappy near vision would be an issue. If I can't shoot durn with it, I'll give it to one of my sons. I'll never scope it.