Author Topic: How Much Is Enough?  (Read 7376 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
How Much Is Enough?
« on: March 06, 2017, 11:04:26 pm »
What to you consider "enough" ammo whether it's practice/self defense/EDC or all of the above...how much do you think it proper to keep on hand at all times?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Re: How Much Is Enough?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 11:07:12 pm »
How much can you afford? :laugh:
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 11:10:59 pm »

Well since the wife likes to shoot...a lot more than normal :)

Just seemed like a relevant question especially since we recently went through periods where the Feds were intentionally drying up the market for certain calibers and the Libs always trying to find a way to make ammo more expensive. 

Wanted to see what everyones rule of thumb was when it came to what you have on hand.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 11:30:40 pm »
Wanted to see what everyones rule of thumb was when it came to what you have on hand.

In 22LR, I have no idea... In the thousands, clearly... maybe 10k
same with 22 short and stinger rounds. maybe 1000 in 22 pellet rounds

12gauge - I really have no idea. Many, many.
Handgun and carbine calibers, around a thousand, I suppose.
long-range high caliber, about 500

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 11:37:27 pm »

My rule of thumb?  Lie.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 11:45:52 pm »
My rule of thumb?  Lie.

LOL! Good point that is always an option.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 11:55:29 pm »
Couple thousand shotgun shells and the wherewithall to load more.

Bullets and calibers, I'm taking the 5th.  :tongue2:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 11:59:04 pm »

Bullets and calibers, I'm taking the 5th:tongue2:

Yeah well for you that's quite understandable.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 12:04:11 am »

Bullets and calibers, I'm taking the 5th.  :tongue2:
5th of what? I thought that was a yank thing? :whistle:
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 12:05:09 am »
I've been a reloader since I was around 13. So to me the question is how many components I'm comfortable with. I think I have around 5,000 primers of each type. And I have on average about 8 pounds each of the powders I'm using. I have around 1,000 cartridge cases of most all, except the new calibers I've recently acquired. Now I don't have that many bullets, but I have many bullet molds and lots of lead and tin. For years I only shot revolvers. Now as I also have semi's I've been purchasing ammo by the case quantities. A case doesn't last very long if you shoot. I was in the Navy when I first began shooting a handgun in earnest. I would try to shoot once a week. So 2,500 rounds a year, or so. I was shooting only lead reloads. I was reclaiming lead. And loading with 3.2grains Bullseye, my per round cost was cheaper than .22s.

Buy Online!    A good site I use:http://www.gunbot.net/

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 12:07:44 am »
I've been a reloader since I was around 13. So to me the question is how many components I'm comfortable with. I think I have around 5,000 primers of each type. And I have on average about 8 pounds each of the powders I'm using. I have around 1,000 cartridge cases of most all, except the new calibers I've recently acquired. Now I don't have that many bullets, but I have many bullet molds and lots of lead and tin. For years I only shot revolvers. Now as I also have semi's I've been purchasing ammo by the case quantities. A case doesn't last very long if you shoot. I was in the Navy when I first began shooting a handgun in earnest. I would try to shoot once a week. So 2,500 rounds a year, or so. I was shooting only lead reloads. I was reclaiming lead. And loading with 3.2grains Bullseye, my per round cost was cheaper than .22s.

Buy Online!    A good site I use:http://www.gunbot.net/
Good advice. Reloading is the way to go. Buy the cheap stuff for the brass and reload with match grade. I know folks that do that who shoot a lot of .223.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 05:51:07 am »
What to you consider "enough" ammo whether it's practice/self defense/EDC or all of the above...how much do you think it proper to keep on hand at all times?
As much as I can afford would be one answer, enough to scare the local fire chief would be another...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 05:54:42 am »
Fourteen rounds of varying caliber. End of discussion.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 04:52:12 pm »
Always save one.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline thackney

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 05:31:48 pm »

I was about to say the correct amount is a function of price.  And on the same note, significant changes in price are going to change the amount I use, so the stock needs are modulated by the demand.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 05:34:30 pm »

As a real answer, a couple years worth of normal use, plus more when a very good price comes around.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 06:14:14 pm »
As a real answer, a couple years worth of normal use, plus more when a very good price comes around.

Looks like cheaperthandirt is going to be getting a lot of business from me then.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 06:23:46 pm »
Looks like cheaperthandirt is going to be getting a lot of business from me then.
Shop around. https://www.centerfiresystems.com/c-111-ammunition.aspx#Pg0| Been a while but they used to be pretty inexpensive.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 06:26:09 pm by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2017, 06:40:52 pm »
Shop around. https://www.centerfiresystems.com/c-111-ammunition.aspx#Pg0| Been a while but they used to be pretty inexpensive.

Whenever I hear a new link for cheaper ammo, I immediately search for 44 special.  It frequently is not in stock.

Your link makes me sad, they don't even list 44 mag, let alone the special.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2017, 06:42:45 pm »
Whenever I hear a new link for cheaper ammo, I immediately search for 44 special.  It frequently is not in stock.

Your link makes me sad, they don't even list 44 mag, let alone the special.
I agree about the .44 Rem Mag. I just order cases from Starline and load my own.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2017, 06:47:59 pm »
www.sgammo.com/

The ability to compare different sized boxes by sorting by price per round is a nice feature on that link.

Thanks

Offline thackney

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2017, 06:50:50 pm »
I agree about the .44 Rem Mag. I just order cases from Starline and load my own.

My lever actions have a steel butt-plate.  I find with my set-up, I just don't shoot very many 44 mags.  I've loaded the tube full, and ended up levering a few rounds out more than once.  A bad stance / loose shoulder fit on a shot or two and I get done in a hurry.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2017, 06:54:20 pm »
The ability to compare different sized boxes by sorting by price per round is a nice feature on that link.

Thanks

Gunbot shows you that across a large number of vendors.

http://www.gunbot.net/

Offline thackney

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2017, 06:59:20 pm »
Gunbot shows you that across a large number of vendors.

http://www.gunbot.net/

Yes, your link is excellent.  Thanks.  Best prices I've found.