Author Topic: North Korea likely preparing to strike U.S. military bases in Japan - UPI  (Read 1375 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
North Korea likely preparing to strike U.S. military bases in Japan
By Elizabeth Shim Contact the Author   |   March 6, 2017 at 11:03 AM

March 6 (UPI) -- The four missiles North Korea launched on Monday were likely practice for targeting U.S. military bases in Japan.

According to South Korea's joint chiefs of staff, three of the four missiles landed in Japanese territorial waters, making it likely North Korea is rehearsing attacks against U.S. military stations in Japan, from where reinforcements for the Korean peninsula would arrive in the event of war.

Seoul said all four projectiles were most likely midrange ballistic missiles that are not capable of reaching the continental United States, South Korean newspaper Kukmin Ilbo reported Monday.

Continued: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2017/03/06/North-Korea-likely-preparing-to-strike-US-military-bases-in-Japan/8991488814629/?utm_source=fp&utm_campaign=ls&utm_medium=4

Saw the headline and thought it was going to be rubbish from some fringe site, no, UPI.

geronl

Saw the headline and thought it was going to be rubbish from some fringe site, no, UPI.

UPI is pretty fringe these days, it's owned by Reverend Moon of the Reunification Church. It does not have a reporter in the White House press corps.

Offline TomSea

Headlining Drudge:

NKOREA 'TRAINING FOR STRIKE ON US BASES'

Seoul (AFP) - Nuclear-armed North Korea said Tuesday its missile launches were training for a strike on US bases in Japan, as global condemnation of the regime swelled.

Three of the four missiles fired Monday came down provocatively close to US ally Japan, in waters that are part of its exclusive economic zone, representing a challenge to US President Donald Trump.

In separate phone calls, Trump -- whose rhetoric on the campaign trail had raised doubts about the issue -- reaffirmed Washington's "ironclad commitment" to Japan and South Korea.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/n-korea-missile-launch-training-exercise-strike-us-225108241.html

"North Korea said"... so if this is so, a new development from the original.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 04:48:35 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

UPI is pretty fringe these days, it's owned by Reverend Moon of the Reunification Church. It does not have a reporter in the White House press corps.

Washington Times I guess is owned by someone like this, yet, they are pretty good.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
In the event they did, Pyongyang should evaporate. From Kim to kimchi.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
In the event they did, Pyongyang should evaporate. From Kim to kimchi.

Also saw where Red China is rattling swords over concerns of a SK deployed antimissile system

These Chicom bastards are a bigger long term threat and enemy to us  than the radical Islamic Muzzies. 

Wish the country would wake up.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 02:10:20 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Also saw where Red China is rattling swords over concerns of a SK deployed antimissile system

These Chicom bastards are a bigger long term threat and enemy to us  than the radical Islamic Muzzies. 

Wish the country would wake up.
My father fought both (North Korean and Communist Chinese troops). I'd prefer my grandchildren don't have to.China is going for more than just Hegemony, they are after the probable and known Oil and Gas reserves offshore in the Western Pacific (Spratleys et al).

The Muzzies are a thorn in China's side, too, but I doubt they are playing pattycake with them.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 02:52:34 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline skeeter

My father fought both (North Korean and Communist Chinese troops). I'd prefer my grandchildren don't have to.China is going for more than just Hegemony, they are after the probable and known Oil and Gas reserves offshore in the Western Pacific (Spratleys et al).

The Muzzies are a thorn in China's side, too, but I doubt they are playing pattycake with them.

I don't know why Japan isn't raising more of a stink over the S China sea farce PRC is pulling, a ridiculously high percentage of their imports sail through waters China is now claiming as territorial.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I don't know why Japan isn't raising more of a stink over the S China sea farce PRC is pulling, a ridiculously high percentage of their imports sail through waters China is now claiming as territorial.

Neville Chamberlin tactics come to mind.  Japan basically has no military, and is no position kick the shins of the neighbor bully.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline skeeter

Neville Chamberlin tactics come to mind.  Japan basically has no military, and is no position kick the shins of the neighbor bully.
Japan has not much offensive capability, but I believe their navy is one of the world's largest.

Wingnut

I wonder what kind of fight is left in the Japs today.  70 years ago they were fanatical.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Japan has not much offensive capability, but I believe their navy is one of the world's largest.

I heard that too, but aren't they mostly of defensive posture?

Offline skeeter

I heard that too, but aren't they mostly of defensive posture?
Offensive capability as far as a navy is concerned means aircraft carriers, and Japan is slowly  edging towards having naval air service again.

It seems their navy is perfectly capable of defending their interests in the South China Sea.

Offline TomSea

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4288400/North-Korea-training-attack-bases-Japan.html

These countries don't like it when missile defense systems go up. Putin has been critical and taken steps before. And now, THAAD.  This seems to be their bone to pick.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/03/07/thaad-deployment-threat-likely-to-stoke-us-tensions-with-beijing-moscow.html

I didn't know Russia actually has what looks like a small border with NK per the map. Many more pictures at the Daily Mail.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 04:03:21 pm by TomSea »

Offline thackney

Japan to join US in South China Sea patrols
http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/15/asia/japan-south-china-sea-patrols/

and now:

Japanese Defense Minister: Military 'Will Not Be Sent' to the South China Sea Alongside US
http://thediplomat.com/2017/02/japanese-defense-minister-military-will-not-be-sent-to-the-south-china-sea-alongside-us/

peaking on Sunday, at the conclusion of U.S. Defense Secretary James Mattis’ two-day visit to Japan, Japanese Defense Minister Tomomi Inada said during a television interview that Japan’s Self-Defense Force (SDF) would not deploy to the South China Sea with the United States Navy.

“I told Secretary Mattis that Japan supports the U.S. military’s freedom of navigation operation in the sea,” Inada said on Sunday, according to Japan’s Jiji news agency, citing comments by Inada during the interview. “But the SDF will not be sent to the area,” Inada clarified.

“Japan will play its role through defense cooperation and training,” she added. Japan, while an interested observer in the South China Sea disputes and a supporter of international law and the peaceful settlement of disputes, has not carried out operations in the area outside of training and drills....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline TomSea

North Korea warns of 'actual war', U.S. calls it 'pariah'
[Reuters] By Stephanie Nebehay
Reuters  March 7, 2017
By Stephanie Nebehay

GENEVA (Reuters) - North Korea said on Tuesday it would pursue its nuclear deterrent and weapons program as huge U.S.-South Korean joint military exercises it says model a "pre-emptive nuclear attack" against Pyongyang continued.

South Korea and the United States, which led condemnation of North Korea's latest missile tests at the Conference on Disarmament, said their military drills were to test defensive readiness against possible aggression from the North.

North Korean diplomat Ju Yong Choi told the United Nations-backed forum that the allies' annual exercises were "a major cause of escalation of tension that might turn into actual war".

Continued: https://www.yahoo.com/news/north-korea-warns-actual-war-u-calls-pariah-113913164.html