Author Topic: Woman faces 8 years in prison, deportation for voting illegally; she claims she made an honest mistake  (Read 767 times)

rangerrebew

Woman faces 8 years in prison, deportation for voting illegally; she claims she made an honest mistake

7:21 pm, March 5, 2017

FORT WORTH, Texas — A Texas woman is facing eight years in jail for voting illegally, but her attorney believes she’s being used as a political cannon fodder.
Rosa Ortega never imagined voting would put her in prison.

“It’s really sad. It’s just too much,” Ortega said.

Ortega, a single mother of four children faces eight years in prison after a Texas jury convicted her of voting illegally. Ortega is not a United States citizen. She was born in Mexico, but she is a permanent US resident.

http://fox6now.com/2017/03/05/woman-...onest-mistake/

Offline thackney

Voter registration forms show she often checked “yes” to whether she’s a US citizen, and never had any problems. But when she moved to neighboring Tarrant County and re-registered, she says she mistakenly checked the “no” box on the line asking if she was a citizen. This application was rejected. A few months later, she sent in another one, this time checking “yes” — and that’s when investigators came calling.

Ha Ha.  Her "mistake" was answering honestly, then returning to her lie.  It was no mistake that she didn't know if she was a citizen.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/fort-worth/article136326938.html
MARCH 3, 2017

...Immigration and Customs Enforcement stunned even Ortega’s attorneys by dropping the immigration hold on her. Ortega, a U.S. resident and green-card holder, faces deportation by ICE after being convicted last month by a Tarrant County jury on two felony counts of illegal voting.

“It’s an act of God. Really, I was shocked, I was shocked,” Ortega said following a Friday afternoon meeting with her attorneys in Dallas. “I thought they [ICE] were going to come and get me. When they said you are free to go, I really thank God for that.”

The decision by ICE set her free to reunite with her four children and her fiance, Oscar Sherman. According to a statement released by ICE on Friday, Ortega will remain free until the appeals court makes its ruling, a process that could take up to nine months, according to Clark Birdsall, one of Ortega’s attorneys....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Ms. Ortega doesn't seem bright enough to be voting, regardless of her lack of citizenship.

Offline Frank Cannon

“It’s really sad. It’s just too much,” Ortega said.

I agree. This fraud voting is too much. That is why we are throwing your lying ass in jail and then throwing you out of the country.

Wingnut

There is a lovely view of the old Radio Shack campus and the Trinity River from the Tarrant County Jail.

rangerrebew

There is a lovely view of the old Radio Shack campus and the Trinity River from the Tarrant County Jail.

They could put her in the Waxahachie jail and she might not have anyone to talk with for eight years. :silly:

geronl

all she has to do is say she voted for Trump and she could become a national hero to many

geronl

she was released for another hearing that could take more than 9 months

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer

:laugh:
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
It's probably not possible under the law, but if I was the judge, I'd offer this lady a choice:

Option 1: go to jail, after which she will be deported.

Option 2: voluntarily deport herself back to her country of origin. If she does this, the prison sentence will be set aside. However, if she re-enters the USA, and is caught, she will go directly to jail to serve the entire sentence.

How's that?

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

You can likely see the joggers on the footpaths too.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

It is not an 'honest mistake' that she is illegally here, so why would anyone believe it an 'honest mistake' she also voted illegally?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Wingnut

You can likely see the joggers on the footpaths too.

And cyclists too.