Author Topic: New York magazine's interview with David Letterman  (Read 908 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
New York magazine's interview with David Letterman
« on: March 06, 2017, 06:18:33 pm »
http://www.vulture.com/2017/03/david-letterman-in-conversation.html?mid=twitter_vulture

I was in New York City standing on Sixth Avenue, and a woman on the sidewalk looked at me and she said, “Do you have a television show?” “No, I don’t.” “Did you used to have a television show?” “Yes, I did.” “What happened?” “I got fired.” “Are you David Letterman?” “Yes, I am.” And then she said, “Man, they bleep you up.” (Interviewer: Did CBS bleep you up?) What do you know? What have you heard? If anybody bleep me up, it was me, by getting old and stupid.

Comedy’s one of the ways that we can protect ourselves. Alec Baldwin deserves a Presidential Medal of Freedom. Sadly, he’s not going to get it from this president. The man has such thin skin that if you keep pressure on him — I remember there was a Actually, it was the other way around. In a 2007 playoff game, a swarm of midges from Lake Erie caused Yankees reliever Joba Chamberlain to blow the game with a few wild pitches. baseball game in Cleveland, and a swarm of flies came on the field and the batters were doing this [mimes swatting at flies] while the pitcher was throwing 100 miles an hour. Well, that’s Alec Baldwin and Saturday Night Live. It’s distracting the batter. Eventually Trump’s going to take a fastball off the sternum and have to leave the game.

But it’s such an amazing group of targets. The comedy potential of these people is incredible.
It’s delightful. Kellyanne Conway was my favorite for a long time. This thing about her telling everyone, “Go buy Ivanka’s shoes; I’m going to go buy Ivanka’s shoes. Hell, I’ll buy you a pair of Ivanka’s shoes.” Then they had to counsel her. Boy, if this administration decides you need counseling — whoa. And poor Sean Spicer is a boob who just got out of a cab and now here he is. Then the other kid, is it Miller? Stephen Miller. Wow, that guy is creepy. He fell out of a truck. And the guy from Exxon, Rex Tillerson. Don would say, “Rex, if you’re talking to your friends, ask them” — I’m sure the Russians groomed Trump.

Jeez, Pence scared the hell out of me. There was a therapy … Yes, conversion therapy. That’s when I just thought, Oh God, really, Indiana? I don’t care if you’re a fundamentalist Christian — even they have gay relatives. They can’t be saying homosexuality is a sin.

For probably the first half or so of your TV career, you stayed away from politics —
Because Carson was my model. I’ll tell you the other thing: All of that changed because of Jon Stewart...he made it so that not doing political stuff got to be the elephant in the room. And also it was having Monica Lewinsky and President Clinton. It was hard to ignore that.

On social media clips:
I knew it was happening, and I recognized that it was a good idea, but I didn’t know how to do it.

The only person I can trust anymore is The junior senator from Minnesota was a writer and castmember on SNL for 15 years. Al Franken, who has a great brain and a great heart. I believe what he says. We haven’t talked much about Trumpy. We talked during the election about Ted Cruz. He told me, “Ted Cruz is one of the smartest men I’ve ever met. He’s scary smart.” And this was coming from Al Franken, who I think is one of the one of the smartest people I’ve ever met. And one of the three funniest.

More at the link, if you can bear it.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: New York magazine's interview with David Letterman
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 07:55:33 pm »
I remember David Letterman, he used to be funny but that was back in 1993. I didn't know he was still alive or I didn't care, same difference, I wonder who else they will dig up to take swipes at Republicans.

Offline endicom

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 08:39:51 pm »
I remember David Letterman, he used to be funny...

I remember when New York Magazine was good. Lefty slanted, of course, but often ahead of the curve. They published Tom Wolfe, for instance. They wrote about Frank Serpico (if anyone remembers that affair) before that story broke big.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 08:56:12 pm »
Letterman is a no talent hack and he knows it. Beside having no rating the last 10 years, most of his funny bits from the 80's were the brainchild of Merrill Markoe his then girlfriend. Let's also not forget he stuck his pecker in every female employee he ever had even with a wife and kid at home.

Looks like he is going for the mall Rent-a-Santa look these days....

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 09:15:53 pm »
I remember David Letterman, he used to be funny but that was back in 1993. I didn't know he was still alive or I didn't care, same difference, I wonder who else they will dig up to take swipes at Republicans.

His show was very funny pre-CBS, when he moved to CBS he dumbed it down and it sucked.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 01:53:30 am »
For those of you who weren't here back when Letterman retired, I'm going to re-post this article I wrote back then:

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,171224.msg675011.html
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024