Author Topic: 3 Reasons Why the 1911 Pistol Continues to Endure  (Read 12162 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: 3 Reasons Why the 1911 Pistol Continues to Endure
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2017, 02:24:16 pm »
Do you scope yours?  I'm debating... and debating... and thinking about it. I have a Leupold ready to go.

Oh, no!. With the short barrel and carbine config, that's a brush gun pure and simple. If I got a 100 yard shot with that rifle, I'd take it... but it will never happen. Normal shot in the woods is 50 maybe 75 yards. At that range, all I am going to see with a scope is hair.

But what a rockin' brush gun that is. It goes right where you put it, brush or not. Zero deflection.

Short range, high knockdown power, no deflection. Sweet.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2017, 02:40:13 pm »
I have a Marlin 45-70 whose barrel is just shy of 22 in long. I put the Williams receiver peep sight on it as soon as I got it. I see Henry has gone thru some sight changes on their lever guns. On your Henry is the front sight mounted on the barrel band or dovetailed into the barrel. Does it have a peep sight? On the barrel or the receiver? Are you happy/confident with your groups using your sights? I am happy with mine just the way it is.  And it is constantly being borrowed out. I think a scope takes away from a lever gun.

I reload as well. I have been loading the 300 gr Hornady I don't even remember a 325gr Hornady. Is it new?

I have buckhorn sights dovetailed right in the barrel. Shorter sight radius than I prefer but they are totally natural when I shoulder it. I also shoot well with it since my eyesight is still pretty good.

I use the Hornady 325 grain FTX LeveRevolution. Since they have a soft ballistic tip, new casings need to be trimmed a bit. I love 'em.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2017, 03:14:19 pm »
I have buckhorn sights dovetailed right in the barrel. Shorter sight radius than I prefer but they are totally natural when I shoulder it. I also shoot well with it since my eyesight is still pretty good.

Have you thought of mounting a receiver sight?

I use the Hornady 325 grain FTX LeveRevolution. Since they have a soft ballistic tip, new casings need to be trimmed a bit. I love 'em.

Are you trimming due to the cannelure location on your bullets?

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2017, 04:04:04 pm »
Have you thought of mounting a receiver sight?

Are you trimming due to the cannelure location on your bullets?

I may with a receiver mounted peep. I have them on several other levers and do well with them. I want to have a little more time with current set-up. Decisions, decisions, lol.

No on the cannelure, but it is due to the overall cartridge length. The ballistic tip adds length. It does not affect the charge. When I get home, I can pull out my load data if you lie and pass it along. I have a crimping tool that is wonderful. I am brain dead at the moment with the details.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2017, 04:25:01 pm »
I may with a receiver mounted peep.

@Lando Lincoln

Take the peep sight off and leave the mount on there. What you will see is a rectangle that will naturally form with the front sight bead in the center as you raise it to your eyes.  This gives you a MUCH wider field of view than the peep,thus quicker accurate shots on big,dangerous game. You may be surprised to discover you shoot as well with the peep sight removed as you do with it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2017, 04:31:31 pm »

No on the cannelure, but it is due to the overall cartridge length. The ballistic tip adds length. It does not affect the charge. When I get home, I can pull out my load data if you lie and pass it along. I have a crimping tool that is wonderful. I am brain dead at the moment with the details.

No need. I've just never heard of having to shorten cases to load any 45-70 bullets before.