Author Topic: 3 Reasons Why the 1911 Pistol Continues to Endure  (Read 12163 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
3 Reasons Why the 1911 Pistol Continues to Endure
« on: March 06, 2017, 05:36:04 pm »
Some of today’s shooters think any pistol that debuted in the year 1911 simply must be obsolete, and should be relegated to the museum instead of the working armory. Yet today there are more companies manufacturing 1911s—and more individuals keeping them as home-protection guns and carrying them as personal weapons—than ever before. Critics are at a loss to understand why this is. We who still carry them are not.

The Model 1911 was introduced in what would be its defining chambering, the .45 ACP. By the start of World War II, it had also been chambered for the deep-penetrating .38 Super (since 1929) and the .22 LR, in both conversion kits for standard guns and the dedicated Colt Ace pistol. Today we can buy 1911s at gun shops chambered for all three of those cartridges plus the 9mm, 10mm, .40 S&W, .357 SIG, .22 TCM, .50 GI, .45 Super, .45 Winchester Magnum and .357 Magnum in the Coonan pistol. In the past, 1911s were manufactured in 7.65mm Luger and 9mm Steyr for the overseas market, and in 9x29mm (aka the 9mm Winchester Magnum). Wildcat rounds developed for the 1911 include the .41 Avenger, the .460 Rowland and the .38-45. And I’m certain I’ve missed a few more.

Ultra-Versatile

The 1911 can do a number of things well. The late Hal Swiggett, the first editor of The Complete Book of Handguns, shot many deer with the Colt .45 ACP that always accompanied him on his travels. And while the pistol wasn’t designed for hunting, I killed my last wild hog with a Smith & Wesson SW1911 .45, and have Saint Patrick’d my share of poisonous snakes with various 1911s in 9mm through .45 ACP.

Target shooting has embraced the 1911 for a century or so. In Bullseye competitions under the auspices of the NRA, the 1911 is the standard choice for the .45-caliber third of the game, and it’s hugely popular in the centerfire third, and many competitors choose custom rimfire 1911s even for the third of the course dedicated to rimfire .22s.

From the custom Colt .45 ACP of the first winner in 1979, Ron Lerch, to the Smith & Wesson .38 Super of today’s perennial winner, Doug Koenig, the 1911 has won more times at Bianchi Cup matches, the flagship of NRA action pistol shooting, than any other handgun. These pistols are big at Police Pistol Combat (PPC) matches, too, in both 9mm and .45 ACP. They’re huge in Steel Challenge matches as well, and you’ll see more 10mm and .45 ACP 1911-style pistols than anything else at bowling-pin matches, where it takes powerful shots to clear heavy bowling pins completely off the tables.

On the defensive side of the house, police and law-abiding armed citizens have embraced the 1911 from the beginning. The legendary Texas Rangers bought their own Colt .45s (and later, to some degree, .38 Supers) so enthusiastically that they became something of a trademark gun for the agency, and Wilson Combat has even offered a dedicated Texas Ranger model. By the 1960s, forward-thinking police departments such as those of Los Alamitos and El Monte, California, had adopted the Colt Government Model .45 as standard issue, and many more departments authorized them as privately owned duty weapons or backup and off-duty guns.

Just as generations of American soldiers came back from their wars and bought bolt-action rifles after WWI, autoloading .30-caliber rifles after WWII and Korea, and AR-15s after Vietnam, all of those generations came home already trained to use the GI 1911 .45, and therefore many bought such guns to defend their homes or wear with their carry permits. The writings of Colonel Jeff Cooper in the 1950s and 1960s did much to popularize the .45 as what he called a “fighting handgun.”

Reasons 2 and 3 are here:

http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2017/02/massad-ayoob-1911/#massad-ayoob-1911-1
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Wingnut

Re: 3 Reasons Why the 1911 Pistol Continues to Endure
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 07:21:27 pm »
I have a Colt/Walther 1911 Gold Cup .22.  Love this gun.  My brother and I would spend hours out in the woods plinking cans bottles and homemade targets and such.  Someday I would love to own a larger cal 1911.

It does need to be kept clean howerver as the slide will occasionally short stroke and fail to feed the next round.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 10:03:24 pm »
I know a lot of people don't like Ayoob, but I've always found his stuff to be pretty good.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 10:05:14 pm »
I know a lot of people don't like Ayoob, but I've always found his stuff to be pretty good.

I'm just starting to get into his writing and I agree with you. 

@Wingnut you won't be disappointed when you finally get a 1911 chambered in .45
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Wingnut

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 10:09:25 pm »

@Wingnut you won't be disappointed when you finally get a 1911 chambered in .45

I want it to go with my 1890's Colt Lightning Pump Rifle.  (32-20 cal)

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 10:10:08 pm »
Some of today’s shooters think any pistol that debuted in the year 1911 simply must be obsolete...

I don't know. Some things invented in 1911 are still handy today. The electric start on a car is one.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 10:13:09 pm »
I want it to go with my 1890's Colt Lightning Pump Rifle.  (32-20 cal)

Those are some cool looking rifles.

Wingnut

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 10:14:17 pm »
Some of today’s shooters think any pistol that debuted in the year 1911 simply must be obsolete...

I don't know. Some things invented in 1911 are still handy today. The electric start on a car is one.

LOL.   Must.... resist..... comparisons to some TBR members....

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 10:17:32 pm »
I absolutely love the 1911.  If the SHTF, I need one to go underground with me.  I own a Taurus version but my son has several tricked out Colt models, including a Level III model.  Despite Colt's financial woes, he swears by Colt over any other maker.  He and his twin have stainless Colt Commanders with consecutive serial numbers. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 10:32:07 pm »

And the 1911 Lewis Gun is handy as well.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 10:47:04 pm »
And the 1911 Lewis Gun is handy as well.

I don't know about that. I have something from 1947 that does that better....

Online roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 10:57:18 pm »
you won't be disappointed when you finally get a 1911 chambered in .45

@txradioguy
Now see, I have a Rockwell 1911 .45ACP - I didn't know they come in a 22LR. That s exactly what I am looking for. I am gonna head over to Rockwell to see if they have one.

@Wingnut

edit: Sheesh! Rock Island... What was I thinkin?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 11:06:05 pm by roamer_1 »

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 12:16:32 am »
I don't know about that. I have something from 1947 that does that better....

I kinda like my 1928 designed M1 Garand

or my 1941 designed M1 Carbine

Or my 49/56 French Surrender weapon

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 01:05:30 am »
@txradioguy
Now see, I have a Rockwell 1911 .45ACP - I didn't know they come in a 22LR. That s exactly what I am looking for. I am gonna head over to Rockwell to see if they have one.

@Wingnut

edit: Sheesh! Rock Island... What was I thinkin?

@roamer_1

RIA has three different 1911's in three different flavors of .22 IIRC.

The .22 LR .22 Magnum and their own creation the .22 TCM

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 01:09:58 am »
@roamer_1

Personally, I'd take a good look at the .22 Mag.  Has just enough power to be less fussy with ammo working the action.
John Steinbeck

Online roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2017, 01:16:13 am »
@roamer_1

Yep... Already been and found out. Definitely the .22LR that I'd be after... In fact, if I can convert my .45 I'll just pack the extra parts with me. That'd be the best of both...

Already have a couple guys sniffing around for a used one... I'll have it in a week or two
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 01:17:27 am by roamer_1 »

Wingnut

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2017, 01:28:43 am »
 .22 Long.  Low cost and low noise make it great for recreational shooting and small-game/pest control.  Many times we don't bother with ear protection if we are in the great out doors just popping off a few shots at a time.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2017, 01:29:56 am »
Personally, I'd take a good look at the .22 Mag.  Has just enough power to be less fussy with ammo working the action.

But there is a considerable price difference. From 6 cents a round to 28 cents and more.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2017, 01:31:54 am »
.22 Long.  Low cost and low noise make it great for recreational shooting and small-game/pest control.  Many times we don't bother with ear protection if we are in the great out doors just popping off a few shots at a time.

One of my son in laws fell in love with a Ruger SR22 when he was out here at Christmas.

I think that's going to be his birthday present from me this year.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2017, 01:34:52 am »
Yep... Already been and found out. Definitely the .22LR that I'd be after... In fact, if I can convert my .45 I'll just pack the extra parts with me. That'd be the best of both...

Already have a couple guys sniffing around for a used one... I'll have it in a week or two

Cool let me know how you like it. I'm a RIA fan. I've been very happy with the 1911 I bought from them. Probably gonna get their .38 special as a birthday present to myself.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2017, 01:35:40 am »

I can't even tell you how many 22LR rounds I have... A 12" deep cupboard probably 28 inches wide, stuffed full...

Wingnut

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2017, 01:35:51 am »
One of my son in laws fell in love with a Ruger SR22 when he was out here at Christmas.

I think that's going to be his birthday present from me this year.

Nice.  And the upside it doesn't cost close to the $400 the Gold Cup Trophy would set you back.   Not that the boy ain't worth it...But they have to pay their dues!

But there is a considerable price difference. From 6 cents a round to 28 cents and more.

Amen to the lower cost.  Less then 5 cents a round most times.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2017, 01:38:22 am »
I shot High Standards when I was in college. I've wanted one ever since. Maybe one day.

Wingnut

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2017, 01:39:44 am »
I used to have High Standards..... :whistle:

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2017, 01:50:10 am »

True enough on the cost difference.
John Steinbeck