Author Topic: A comeback for cursive? More states encouraging penmanship in school.  (Read 630 times)

Online mountaineer

A comeback for cursive? More states encouraging penmanship in school
Gretel Kauffman

March 6, 2017 —Cursive, the art of penmanship cast aside in recent years as schools increasingly focus on keyboarding, may be getting a second act.

Last year, Alabama and Louisiana became the latest of 14 states to pass laws requiring cursive proficiency in public schools. And in the fall, New York City Schools – the country's largest school district, with 1.1 million students – encouraged teaching cursive to elementary school students.

As we as a society find ourselves relying more and more on computers, cell phones, and other forms of technology to communicate and express ourselves, many educators have declared cursive an unnecessary skill. In 2010, most states adopted the Common Core curriculum standards, which don't mention handwriting.

But proponents of cursive say it provides students with the practical skills to take notes more quickly, read and understand a broader range of documents, and sign their name in a more aesthetically pleasing way. And some suggest that the benefits go beyond practical: cursive, they say, can encourage creativity, allow young people to more easily express themselves in writing, and even boost SAT college entrance exam scores.

A study published in 2012 that examined the writing habits of Canadian second-grade students found that students learning cursive benefitted more in their work than students who only learned print ...  Rest of story at Christian Science Monitor
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

Re: A comeback for cursive? More states encouraging penmanship in school.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 04:13:39 pm »
State law will require schools to teach cursive writing
Posted by: Chris Yow Posted date: March 05, 2017
From Trussville Tribune staff reports

Laws passed by Alabama and Louisiana state legislatures in 2016 say the state’s public schools must teach the writing style. That now makes a total of 14 states across the country who require this method of penmanship.

Proponents of the method of writing have said it’s important for children to understand how to read cursive documents or to become more efficient while taking hand-written notes.

House Bill 218 was sponsored by State Representative Dickie Drake (R-Leeds).

Rep. Drake said in a statement, “I successfully passed legislation requiring cursive writing to be taught in all Alabama schools by the end of the 3rd grade and each school board must certify to the state board of education that they are complying with this law.”

Republican nominee for State School Board, Jackie Zeigler said in a statement, “Schools must report that they are teaching cursive as the course of study requires. Without it, our children would not be able to read cursive writing, including signatures.”

Research suggests cursive helps students master spelling and sentence construction because they don’t have to think as much about forming letters.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 04:19:50 pm »
I'm just aghast that cursive isn't taught anymore in school. I used to love writing in cursive.

LOL, I actually took a calligraphy course in 7th grade. Surprised I didn't get beat up for it more.

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 04:21:43 pm »

LOL, I actually took a calligraphy course in 7th grade. Surprised I didn't get beat up for it more.

LOL.  Were you in the AV club too?  Man those kids took some abuse!!!

Offline r9etb

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 04:24:40 pm »
But proponents of cursive say it provides students with the practical skills to take notes more quickly, read and understand a broader range of documents, and sign their name in a more aesthetically pleasing way.

It probably promotes patience -- which I never had, when it comes to handwriting.  Probably why penmanship was the only class I ever failed (in 5th grade).

Printing comes far more naturally to me.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 04:26:26 pm »
LOL.  Were you in the AV club too?  Man those kids took some abuse!!!

Nope, but was in Math and Chess club.

My handwriting is and will always be terrible, though. Never got good at calligraphy.