Author Topic: Target’s decline continues  (Read 1125 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Target’s decline continues
« on: March 06, 2017, 02:48:31 pm »
Readers might be interested in learning how Target Stores (stock symbol TGT) is doing these days.

Relative to the Dow Jones Industrial average (DJI) in a year-to-date comparison, the DJI is up 23% as Target's stock has declined 28%.  At the same time, Kohls's stock has fallen by 14.9%, while Walmart's has risen 3.1%.

True, there is general weakness in the retail business, but by objective measures, Target is a laggard, and its stock is grossly underperforming in that sector.

Mr. Brian Cornell, chairman and CEO of Target, offers up a number of reasons for his company's dismal performance, but he neglects to cite the boycott over the company's transgender advocacy.

It would be an overreach to directly credit the boycott to Target's troubles.  However, a management that dabbles in radical social issues like transgender restrooms does not have its eye on its business or its customers.  That is not the formula for success.  And for those of a metaphysical bent, I'd say karma has a way of making itself felt sooner rather than later.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2017/03/targets_decline_continues.html
Wonder if this stupid management team will survive the angry shareholders during the upcoming yearly shareholders meeting?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Target’s decline continues
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 02:59:13 pm »
My dentist appointment the other day was right across the hall from the indoor entrance of Target and the place was a long way from deserted.

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 03:06:14 pm »
My dentist appointment the other day was right across the hall from the indoor entrance of Target and the place was a long way from deserted.
I have a Target and Walmart side-by-side where I live.

The Walmart has a packed parking lot, whereas the Target is noticeably not.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 04:48:23 pm »

A local mall now has a Target where a major department store once resided. The Target is doing a booming business and it has revitalized the mall itself.  The mall was among the oldest around and had been in decline for years as newer, larger, more glittering malls sprang up.  Now, thanks to Target,  new management and major renovation , this older mall is thriving, while the newer ones are in decline.

I suppose I should be boycotting Target over their policy of letting rapists into the ladies room, but I still buy a few things there. I just don't use the store's restrooms.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 04:52:21 pm »
A local mall now has a Target where a major department store once resided. The Target is doing a booming business and it has revitalized the mall itself.  The mall was among the oldest around and had been in decline for years as newer, larger, more glittering malls sprang up.  Now, thanks to Target,  new management and major renovation , this older mall is thriving, while the newer ones are in decline.

I suppose I should be boycotting Target over their policy of letting rapists into the ladies room, but I still buy a few things there. I just don't use the store's restrooms.

I don't boycott Target but I really prefer Meijer stores and we have 2 of them in Jackson Michigan

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 05:45:55 pm »

If there are enough enthusiastic customers who have turned into reluctant customers, it would have the same effect on Target's plummeting fortunes.

The way a retailer calculates its successes is typically the revenue produced per customer visit, as well as total customers visits.

If the revenue per visit declines, then it is losing business.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 06:41:04 pm »
If there are enough enthusiastic customers who have turned into reluctant customers, it would have the same effect on Target's plummeting fortunes.

The way a retailer calculates its successes is typically the revenue produced per customer visit, as well as total customers visits.

If the revenue per visit declines, then it is losing business.

I have actively sought and succeeded in finding another source for every single item I formerly purchased at Target.  I've not purchased anything there in about 4 months now.  I still troll the store for ideas, but I no longer buy.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 07:11:50 pm »
I have a Target and Walmart side-by-side where I live.

The Walmart has a packed parking lot, whereas the Target is noticeably not.
As much as some people denigrate Walmart you can't beat their prices overall, A loaf of bread we like is $2.68 at Wally's while at other name brand grocers it is $3.79 regularly, including at Target. I rarely go into a Target anymore and it has nothing to do with their restroom policy, I just don't like their store brands or their prices.