Author Topic: The 18 Biggest Unsolved Mysteries in Physics  (Read 3422 times)

rangerrebew

The 18 Biggest Unsolved Mysteries in Physics
« on: March 05, 2017, 12:35:48 pm »
The 18 Biggest Unsolved Mysteries in Physics
By Natalie Wolchover and Jesse Emspak | February 27, 2017 07:32am ET

9542 880 376 424 634 MORE

1 of 20
    Pandora's box Credit: Image via Shutterstock
    Pandora's box

In 1900, the British physicist Lord Kelvin is said to have pronounced: "There is nothing new to be discovered in physics now. All that remains is more and more precise measurement." Within three decades, quantum mechanics and Einstein's theory of relativity had revolutionized the field. Today, no physicist would dare assert that our physical knowledge of the universe is near completion. To the contrary, each new discovery seems to unlock a Pandora's box of even bigger, even deeper physics questions. These are our picks for the most profound open questions of all.

Inside you’ll learn about parallel universes, why time seems to move in one direction only, and why we don’t understand chaos.

Editor’s Note: This list was originally published in 2012. It was updated on Feb. 27, 2017, to include newer information and recent studies.

http://www.livescience.com/34052-unsolved-mysteries-physics.html
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 12:36:25 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: The 18 Biggest Unsolved Mysteries in Physics
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 12:48:55 pm »
I just want to know why, when I am looking for a phillips head screwdriver, all I can find are the ones for slotted screws, and when looking for a screwdriver for slotted screws, all I can find are ones for Phillips head screws.

Oh, and why is it that small parts, once dropped, retreat to the most inaccessible available space, usually underneath the vehicle, dead center?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline I-ambush

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 07:05:30 pm »
It's because the screwdrivers remain in a state of quantum uncertainty until you decide to look for one of either type; kind of like Schrödinger's cat.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 08:13:29 pm »
It's because the screwdrivers remain in a state of quantum uncertainty until you decide to look for one of either type; kind of like Schrödinger's cat.
Beautiful answer. I guess I'll just have to dig deep and get the quantum stabilized ones. :laugh:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 08:39:48 pm »

Great answer.  That does comport with the evidence.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 08:42:33 pm »

Or you can look for just orange juice and vodka.

Just kidding,
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 09:00:15 pm »
I like this. Now when lefty atheists say there is no God, I'll tell them then they solve these mysteries of physics, then I'll take them seriously that they have enough knowledge and evidence to prove it.
The Republic is lost.

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 09:48:50 pm »
I like this. Now when lefty atheists say there is no God, I'll tell them then they solve these mysteries of physics, then I'll take them seriously that they have enough knowledge and evidence to prove it.

So, just because nobody can (yet) solve some problem means that God must exist?  With all due respect, that's not much of an argument.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 09:52:20 pm »
[...] each new discovery seems to unlock a Pandora's box [...]

Pandora's box... How apropos.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 09:55:41 pm »
I just want to know why, when I am looking for a phillips head screwdriver, all I can find are the ones for slotted screws, and when looking for a screwdriver for slotted screws, all I can find are ones for Phillips head screws.

the people at Torx have invisible gremlins that do that. They laugh at you with glee.

Oh, and why is it that small parts, once dropped, retreat to the most inaccessible available space, usually underneath the vehicle, dead center?

Didn't that Murphy guy figure that out?

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 10:00:01 pm »
The 18:
-----------
What is dark energy?

What is dark matter?

Why is there an arrow of time?

Are there parallel universes?

Why is there more matter than antimatter?

What is the fate of the universe?

How do measurements collapse quantum wavefunctions?

Is string theory correct?

Is there order in chaos?

Do the universe's forces merge into one?

What happens inside a black hole?

Do naked singularities exist?

Violating charge-parity symmetry

When sound waves make light

What lies beyond the Standard Model?

Fundamental constants

What the heck is gravity, anyway?

Do we live in a false vacuum?

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 10:04:31 pm »

'Cause you're collapsing the wrong wavefunctions!

:bigsilly:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 10:22:48 pm »
So, just because nobody can (yet) solve some problem means that God must exist?  With all due respect, that's not much of an argument.

God can't at this point be proven or disproven. For an atheist to say that he can't, when we can't even cure the common cold, is ridiculous. And hypocritical, when they criticize those who say God does exist.

To absolutely prove there is no God, you would have to be 1) Ominscient, 2) Omnipotent, and 3) Omnipresent. If you are those things, you would BE God. It's self-contradictory. But at the very least, you should have mastery at things like the common cold and these 18 unsolved physics mysteries, to at least have a shot of having the credibility to say that the existence of God can be disproven.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 10:23:10 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 10:48:21 pm »
the people at Torx have invisible gremlins that do that. They laugh at you with glee.

Didn't that Murphy guy figure that out?
Nah. Murphy wass a flaming optimist. He said ANYthing which can go wrong will...

It's EVERYthing....

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 10:49:45 pm »
Ha! I am always amazed at how far those dropped parts go. Always seems to be the absolute maximum distance.
Unless that would make retrieval easier... :shrug:

C S Lewis

Oceander

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 10:54:28 pm »
God can't at this point be proven or disproven. For an atheist to say that he can't, when we can't even cure the common cold, is ridiculous. And hypocritical, when they criticize those who say God does exist.

To absolutely prove there is no God, you would have to be 1) Ominscient, 2) Omnipotent, and 3) Omnipresent. If you are those things, you would BE God. It's self-contradictory. But at the very least, you should have mastery at things like the common cold and these 18 unsolved physics mysteries, to at least have a shot of having the credibility to say that the existence of God can be disproven.

Atheism is a religion - or more like a cult - just like the belief systems they criticize.  The only rational position is agnosticism.

Also, it doesn't require that you be able to answer every question about the material universe as a predicate for disproving the existence of God.  The one is not dependent on the other; just as one doesn't need to solve the problem of making quantum physics and general relativity work together in order to prove that stars above a certain mass will go supernova.

Finally, one doesn't need to disprove the existence of God to disprove the validity of any particular religion or set of religious beliefs.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 10:57:46 pm by Oceander »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2017, 11:09:45 pm »
Nah. Murphy wass a flaming optimist. He said ANYthing which can go wrong will...

It's EVERYthing....

You're waxing philosofickle. I didn't know you had it in ye.
But I disagree - By your statement, I would have to change my underpants at least 100 times a day. Certainly not EVERYthing.

Thankfully, such a dilemma is only sure to happen when I am in a suit, in a room full of people drinking champagne... Thus, my aversion to both.

Oceander

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2017, 12:28:04 am »
This is one of my favorites:

What the heck is gravity, anyway?

What is gravity, anyway? Other forces are mediated by particles. Electromagnetism, for example, is the exchange of photons. The weak nuclear force is carried by W and Z bosons, and gluons carry the strong nuclear force that holds atomic nuclei together. McNees said all of the other forces can be quantized, meaning they could be expressed as individual particles and have noncontinuous values.

Gravity doesn't seem to be like that. Most physical theories say it should be carried by a hypothetical massless particle called a graviton. The problem is, nobody has found gravitons yet, and it's not clear that any particle detector that could be built could see them, because if gravitons interact with matter, they do it very, very rarely — so seldom that they'd be invisible against the background noise. It isn't even clear that gravitons are massless, though if they have a mass at all, it's very, very small — smaller than that of neutrinos, which are among the lightest particles known. String theory posits that gravitons (and other particles) are closed loops of energy, but the mathematical work hasn't yielded much insight so far.

Because gravitons haven't been observed yet, gravity has resisted attempts to understand it in the way we understand other forces – as an exchange of particles. Some physicists, notably Theodor Kaluza and Oskar Klein, posited that gravity may be operating as a particle in extra dimensions beyond the three of space (length, width, and height) and one of time (duration)we are familiar with, but whether that is true is still unknown.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 12:28:29 am by Oceander »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2017, 01:03:41 am »
You're waxing philosofickle. I didn't know you had it in ye.
But I disagree - By your statement, I would have to change my underpants at least 100 times a day. Certainly not EVERYthing.

Thankfully, such a dilemma is only sure to happen when I am in a suit, in a room full of people drinking champagne... Thus, my aversion to both.
I have had some days that were more like a pop-quiz series in improvising and overcoming, so to speak. Murphy showed up like we were playing whack-a-mole--and Murphy was the mole. Some day, I'll chronicle such events.

I used to have a couple of suits, before the fire. Never bothered to replace them, although I should go buy one, just in case. Show up 'underdressed' and some folks think it's a lack of respect. I guess they just don't realize that this is my best pair of jeans, the boots don't even have 'corral residues' on them, and the shirt hasn't even been sweated on (today)--not to mention my best go-to-hell-hat, the one that doesn't need an oil change yet.
Some people get funny that way.
As for the beverages, I found out the US Olympic Beer Drinking Team t-shirts were a joke! and broke training thirty years ago, so I don't do champagne, either.
That, and the deep seated realization that the average crowd is just a mob-in-waiting, and generally, I'm not too enthused bout being surrounded by a bunch of folks when I have no idea how they'll react to things.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2017, 02:35:04 am »

I used to have a couple of suits, before the fire. Never bothered to replace them, although I should go buy one, just in case.

Suits make me itch... And supposedly, when in suits one cannot scratch.
They offer no place at all to put my folding Schrade (which never leaves my direct contact), nor multi-tool, and so much as a snuff can in one's pocket,. makes the dang thing hang off center.
The only good thing there could be about getting a suit, is that it would give me the only reason to go buy a new set of my beloved Tony Lamas, because that's the only damn thing Tony's are good for nowadays.

Show up 'underdressed' and some folks think it's a lack of respect. I guess they just don't realize that this is my best pair of jeans, the boots don't even have 'corral residues' on them, and the shirt hasn't even been sweated on (today)--not to mention my best go-to-hell-hat, the one that doesn't need an oil change yet.
Some people get funny that way.

I am too old and set in my ways to give a flying crap what most folks think of me at all. Those few that do matter to me would be knocked over by the respect I show, just showing up clean, with my sh*tkickers polished, and a pearl buttoned shirt with a clean bandana. If the occaision is grand, I may even drag out one of my silver buckles. I don't hardly do that for nobody or nothing. My younger son is getting married this summer, and he and his wife to be will be stunned if I take the time to get 'decked out' like that. Half the town will be buzzin with it. Add a leather vest, a bolo instead of a bandana, and a new Bailey, well, that could only mean that someone very dear to me has died.

As for the beverages, I found out the US Olympic Beer Drinking Team t-shirts were a joke! and broke training thirty years ago, so I don't do champagne, either.

That's a fact. I still have a beer now and then, but the beer from the last five years wouldn't hardly be a good weekend from my youth.

That, and the deep seated realization that the average crowd is just a mob-in-waiting, and generally, I'm not too enthused bout being surrounded by a bunch of folks when I have no idea how they'll react to things.

Church, church socials, something at the grange hall, rodeos, rondezous, gun shows, hot rod shows, the mud pit, maybe a home or garden show, if a lady I'm courting insists. She might get me out for fine dining at one of the barbecue dives or a diner... but other than that, no crowds. The kind of folks that congregate elsewise ain't my kind anyhow.

And if I do wind up at a large venue, I will find a means of exit that no one will think of... Or at least a place to hunker down. Nothing worse than a crowd in a panic. I won't go where they're running - I'll turn 90 degrees from the herd and take my own chances.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2017, 02:46:17 am »
Suits make me itch... And supposedly, when in suits one cannot scratch.
They offer no place at all to put my folding Schrade (which never leaves my direct contact), nor multi-tool, and so much as a snuff can in one's pocket,. makes the dang thing hang off center.
The only good thing there could be about getting a suit, is that it would give me the only reason to go buy a new set of my beloved Tony Lamas, because that's the only damn thing Tony's are good for nowadays.

I am too old and set in my ways to give a flying crap what most folks think of me at all. Those few that do matter to me would be knocked over by the respect I show, just showing up clean, with my sh*tkickers polished, and a pearl buttoned shirt with a clean bandana. If the occaision is grand, I may even drag out one of my silver buckles. I don't hardly do that for nobody or nothing. My younger son is getting married this summer, and he and his wife to be will be stunned if I take the time to get 'decked out' like that. Half the town will be buzzin with it. Add a leather vest, a bolo instead of a bandana, and a new Bailey, well, that could only mean that someone very dear to me has died.

That's a fact. I still have a beer now and then, but the beer from the last five years wouldn't hardly be a good weekend from my youth.

Church, church socials, something at the grange hall, rodeos, rondezous, gun shows, hot rod shows, the mud pit, maybe a home or garden show, if a lady I'm courting insists. She might get me out for fine dining at one of the barbecue dives or a diner... but other than that, no crowds. The kind of folks that congregate elsewise ain't my kind anyhow.

And if I do wind up at a large venue, I will find a means of exit that no one will think of... Or at least a place to hunker down. Nothing worse than a crowd in a panic. I won't go where they're running - I'll turn 90 degrees from the herd and take my own chances.
I always figure my escape routes when I get stuck in a large crowd, or like you, a 'tree' to climb or a place to hunker down and ride out the stampede--preferably cover, not just concealment. You hit most of the larger venues I have been seen in pretty squarely, with the exception of taking little ones to the county fair or the occasional auction. Gun shows around here are purt'near modern day rendezvous fare--I haven't done the buckskinning thing much in the last 20 years as many of the guys I went to catch up with died off.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2017, 03:07:16 am »
I haven't done the buckskinning thing much in the last 20 years as many of the guys I went to catch up with died off.

I'm going to the Eureka rondy this year... probably if I want to or not... There's this darlin little Salish gal who used to make my mocs for me... Well, I ran into her a couple months back, and while there's always been a spark tween her and me, this time she's set her cap.  Ran into her, she found out I was single, and then she proceeded to map out the next five years of her and me doing things. Evidently, she's damn tired of being a widow all these years, she can't keep up with her ranch all by herself, she came up with three major construction projects and about 10 miles of fence (she knows damn well I'm handy). And she thinks we should keep my place so we can come to town in the winter. All that in a half hour over tacos.

The thing is... well... Let's just say she's hard to say no to. In more ways than one.  :shrug:
I swear, I'll either be healthy and happy, or dead. Not much room for otherwise.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2017, 03:56:35 am »
I'm going to the Eureka rondy this year... probably if I want to or not... There's this darlin little Salish gal who used to make my mocs for me... Well, I ran into her a couple months back, and while there's always been a spark tween her and me, this time she's set her cap.  Ran into her, she found out I was single, and then she proceeded to map out the next five years of her and me doing things. Evidently, she's damn tired of being a widow all these years, she can't keep up with her ranch all by herself, she came up with three major construction projects and about 10 miles of fence (she knows damn well I'm handy). And she thinks we should keep my place so we can come to town in the winter. All that in a half hour over tacos.

The thing is... well... Let's just say she's hard to say no to. In more ways than one.  :shrug:
I swear, I'll either be healthy and happy, or dead. Not much room for otherwise.
Sounds like your single days are numbered.    I've been with a Chippewa gal who set her hook in me a couple decades ago. There are worse fates, and it sounds like a situation that might agree with you. :laugh:

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2017, 11:01:36 pm »
If only Sheldon Cooper was real these could be solved; however, he is as ficticious as the gorgeous blonde neighbor across the hall.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2017, 12:25:36 am »
If only Sheldon Cooper was real these could be solved; however, he is as ficticious as the gorgeous blonde neighbor across the hall.
Get Jimmy Neutron on it (or Buckaroo Banzai) :laugh:

C S Lewis