Author Topic: The Disrupters (Silicon Valley elite)  (Read 1030 times)

Offline endicom

The Disrupters (Silicon Valley elite)
« on: March 05, 2017, 12:20:06 am »
City Journal
Gregory Ferenstein
Winter 2017

In just ten years, Facebook built a global empire that surpassed General Electric in market value—and did it with just 4 percent of the Old Economy giant’s workforce: 12,000, compared with 300,000. Whatsapp, a recent Facebook acquisition, managed an even more impressive wealth-to-labor ratio, with a $19 billion value and just 55 employees. Combined, both companies reach roughly one-sixth of humanity. Facebook’s entertainment colleague just to the south, Netflix, crushed Blockbuster’s mammoth national network of 9,000 stores and 60,000 employees with its more nimble workforce of just 3,700 employees. It’s easy to see why: for just $10 a month, Netflix consumers could enjoy an unlimited video library larger than any of Blockbuster’s retail shops, without ever having to find their car keys. Blockbuster filed for bankruptcy protection in 2010.

More... https://www.city-journal.org/html/disrupters-14950.html

Fairly long. Gives insight into how these wunderkind plan our future lives.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: The Disrupters (Silicon Valley elite)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 02:13:11 am »
"Gives insight into how these wunderkind plan our future lives."

I read most of the article.

I wonder if we'd all be better off if Silicon Valley and the "wunderkind" who inhabit it... just slipped into the Pacific Ocean and disappeared...

Offline endicom

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 02:32:55 am »

I wonder if we'd all be better off if Silicon Valley and the "wunderkind" who inhabit it... just slipped into the Pacific Ocean and disappeared...

I think they make the classic mistake of imagining that history ends with them. I expect that times will change to leave their imaginings in the dust.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 02:38:42 am »
I am old, but I have enjoyed Netflix, Facebook, Bluetooth, Pandora, smartphones, personal computers, refrigerators, frozen foods, indoor plumbing, hot clean water, color TV, internal combustion engines, electric lights, etc.

One thing that I enjoy more is good music. Live or played back from recordings.

Sitting around, just complaining that things do change, is what some do in their older years.

God Grant Me the Serenity to Accept the Things I Cannot Change, the Courage to Change the Things I Can, and the Wisdom to Know the Difference.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 02:45:22 am »
I am old, but I have enjoyed Netflix, Facebook, Bluetooth, Pandora, smartphones, personal computers, refrigerators, frozen foods, indoor plumbing, hot clean water, color TV, internal combustion engines, electric lights, etc.

One thing that I enjoy more is good music. Live or played back from recordings.

Sitting around, just complaining that things do change, is what some do in their older years.

God Grant Me the Serenity to Accept the Things I Cannot Change, the Courage to Change the Things I Can, and the Wisdom to Know the Difference.

:thumbsup:

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 06:58:42 pm »
City Journal
Gregory Ferenstein
Winter 2017

In just ten years, Facebook built a global empire that surpassed General Electric in market value—and did it with just 4 percent of the Old Economy giant’s workforce: 12,000, compared with 300,000. Whatsapp, a recent Facebook acquisition, managed an even more impressive wealth-to-labor ratio, with a $19 billion value and just 55 employees. Combined, both companies reach roughly one-sixth of humanity. Facebook’s entertainment colleague just to the south, Netflix, crushed Blockbuster’s mammoth national network of 9,000 stores and 60,000 employees with its more nimble workforce of just 3,700 employees. It’s easy to see why: for just $10 a month, Netflix consumers could enjoy an unlimited video library larger than any of Blockbuster’s retail shops, without ever having to find their car keys. Blockbuster filed for bankruptcy protection in 2010.

More... https://www.city-journal.org/html/disrupters-14950.html

Fairly long. Gives insight into how these wunderkind plan our future lives.

Facebook's true value is vastly over-inflated. They have nothing physical to show as assets except for a few servers.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 07:14:37 pm »

Bond made a grave error when he stopped Max Zorin.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 10:24:45 pm »
If there is anything driving the explosion in income and wealth inequality, it is this.

One has access to billions of potential customers, and can serve them with a barebones workforce and overhead. As long as the market's cornered early, it's all of the benefits with far less risk.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024