Author Topic: Woolly mammoths experienced a genomic meltdown just before extinction  (Read 554 times)

rangerrebew

Woolly mammoths experienced a genomic meltdown just before extinction
Genome comparison study has implications for animal conservation and evolutionary theory

Date:
    March 2, 2017
Source:
    PLOS
Summary:
    Dwindling populations created a 'mutational meltdown' in the genomes of the last woolly mammoths, which had survived on an isolated island until a few thousand years ago, report researchers.

FULL STORY
Mammoth skeleton (stock image).
Credit: © Miz3D / Fotolia

Dwindling populations created a "mutational meltdown" in the genomes of the last wooly mammoths, which had survived on an isolated island until a few thousand years ago. Rebekah Rogers and Montgomery Slatkin of the University of California, Berkeley, report these findings in a study published March 2nd, 2017 in PLOS Genetics.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/03/170302143933.htm
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 10:19:26 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Woolly mammoths experienced a genomic meltdown just before extinction
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 10:32:31 pm »
Same thing is happening to cheetahs now. They're all really closely related - a recipe for extinction.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: Woolly mammoths experienced a genomic meltdown just before extinction
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 01:32:09 am »
Same thing is happening with moslems. But they can't inbreed themselves into extinction fast enough for me.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley