Author Topic: This Rare Video In The 1960s Shows Austin Like You’ve Never Seen Before  (Read 1573 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

They say pictures are worth a thousand words…so what are videos worth? Surely much more than that. Memories and pictures can help us look back on the ‘good old days,’ but videos are an entirely different story. They let us see the past in action; they bring back our most cherished memories in the most vivid way possible. You’re going to love this rare video of Austin in the 1960s.
Growing up in Austin, I recall these old times, the first Schlotzsky's built on Congress, Jerry Jeff Walker down at Sholz's or going to see the Batman world premiere at the Paramount.

http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/texas/austin/1960s-video-austin/
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
A lot of those pictures looked a lot newer than the 60's.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Cool video, and song!   :beer:

Speaking of Austin in the 60s, wife and I recorded and watched a movie that was on PBS a couple of weeks ago, "Tower", an independent film about one of the first mass shootings in America, the U.T. Tower sniper in 1966.  I thought it was very interesting and effective, combining rotoscope animation techniques with actual film and photos of the event, as well as interviews with survivors. Very moving.  You can find out more about it here:  the film on PBS and here: the film's official website.
Let it burn.

You got some which you think so?

I looked through these a couple of times and the only one I am pretty sure is later than the 60s is the one in front of Hancock Shopping Center where the cars are not 60s.

And I made a mistake - Schlotzsky's did not open on South Congress until 1971.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 11:38:34 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Cool video, and song!   :beer:

Speaking of Austin in the 60s, wife and I recorded and watched a movie that was on PBS a couple of weeks ago, "Tower", an independent film about one of the first mass shootings in America, the U.T. Tower sniper in 1966.  I thought it was very interesting and effective, combining rotoscope animation techniques with actual film and photos of the event, as well as interviews with survivors. Very moving.  You can find out more about it here:  the film on PBS and here: the film's official website.
I have not seen the PBS video but I lived through Charles Whitman siege when I was in high school.  Whitman lived about 6 blocks from my house under one of the 'Moonlight' Towers off South first st.

It was an apprehensive time as my brother was attending UT at the time.  Whitman was such a good marksman he shot a guy in the leg I went to high school with on Guadalupe while he riding his bike.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
You got some which you think so?

I looked through these a couple of times and the only one I am pretty sure is later than the 60s is the one in front of Hancock Shopping Center where the cars are not 60s.

And I made a mistake - Schlotzsky's did not open on South Congress until 1971.

There was an 80s 90s looking Toyota at one point.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
You can still go to Threadgill's and eat as good as they did back then.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
I have not seen the PBS video but I lived through Charles Whitman siege when I was in high school.  Whitman lived about 6 blocks from my house under one of the 'Moonlight' Towers off South first st.

It was an apprehensive time as my brother was attending UT at the time.  Whitman was such a good marksman he shot a guy in the leg I went to high school with on Guadalupe while he riding his bike.

The boy on the bicycle was interviewed for the documentary, and his story is one of those told!
Let it burn.

Online dfwgator

LOL, Willie Nelson was still clean-shaven and had short hair in the 60s.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

What high school did you go to?  McCallum here.

What high school did you go to?  McCallum here.
Give you a hint:  We lost the bell to you in my Senior year.  Since I was the Editor of School Newspaper, I brought it to game in back of my car.   Sadly, did not bring it back.
@Sanguine
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 03:10:36 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »