Author Topic: Appeals court considers request for Reyna disqualification in Twin Peaks biker's case (Waco)  (Read 1748 times)

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Appeals court considers request for Reyna disqualification in Twin Peaks biker's case

http://m.wacotrib.com/news/courts_and_trials/appeals-court-considers-request-for-reyna-disqualification-in-twin-peaks/article_fa3f5149-4987-569f-af9d-6a108c555247.html?mode=jqm

A lawyer representing biker Matthew Alan Clendennen argued Wednesday that McLennan County District Attorney Abel Reyna should be disqualified from prosecuting Twin Peaks cases because he lied at a hearing, overstepped his authority and has a financial interest in convicting bikers who have sued him.

Dallas attorney Clint Broden and Assistant District Attorney Sterling Harmon took opposing sides Wednesday during oral arguments in front of the three-judge panel of Waco’s 10th Court of Appeals.

Broden is appealing an October ruling by 54th State District Judge Matt Johnson that denied his motion to disqualify Reyna, who went to the scene and advised Waco police commanders about how to proceed after the deadly May 17, 2015, shootout at Twin Peaks.

Broden is asking the intermediate appellate court to issue a writ of mandamus, which would order Johnson to disqualify Reyna and appoint an “independent and unbiased” prosecutor to take over the case.

Reyna “crossed the line” by ordering the mass arrests of 177 bikers on identical charges that day, Broden argued, usurping the judgment of Waco’s top police commanders with 100 years worth of collective law enforcement experience.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
We discussed all this and the 'raid' at length on TOS. Reyna was out of line, and despite the reputation of the Bike Clubs involved, the whole deal reeked. Al lot of lives have been either ended or disrupted (to put it mildly) over the blanket warrants issued and the confiscation of assets when the purpose of the gathering was to discuss political issues and other factors affecting motorcyclists in general.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
We discussed all this and the 'raid' at length on TOS. Reyna was out of line, and despite the reputation of the Bike Clubs involved, the whole deal reeked. Al lot of lives have been either ended or disrupted (to put it mildly) over the blanket warrants issued and the confiscation of assets when the purpose of the gathering was to discuss political issues and other factors affecting motorcyclists in general.

Yep. And for old times sake..."in before Texas Gator."

Offline Smokin Joe

Yep. And for old times sake..."in before Texas Gator."
Limpid Lizard? Give me a while...Salamander and I figured out who the guy was, but I can't recall his name off hand.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Those were good discussions. btw, Broden is a Democrat. But, I like the way he has handled this.

Offline Smokin Joe

Those were good discussions. btw, Broden is a Democrat. But, I like the way he has handled this.
Fair is fair, right is right. The more people who realize that the better, regardless of source. Besides, it's only 99.99% of Democrats who give the rest a bad name.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I would like to see Reyna disqualified.  Even if he has acted with integrity during all of this....naw, cancel that.  It's been a poorly handled, abomination from the beginning.  He's managed to make some fairly nasty bikers look good by comparison.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
I would like to see Reyna disqualified.  Even if he has acted with integrity during all of this....naw, cancel that.  It's been a poorly handled, abomination from the beginning.  He's managed to make some fairly nasty bikers look good by comparison.

Exactly. The abuse to the worst among us so easily can fall upon any of us. It's just a matter of the current definition of "worst" and the agenda of the power.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
"The justices gave no indication on when they might rule on the issue."

I would think the ruling would come before the first case begins, which I believe is scheduled for April 17.

And IBTG.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
First Twin Peaks trial delayed

The highly anticipated first trial of a biker arrested in the May 2015 shootout at Twin Peaks was delayed Friday on a defense request for more time.

Judge Ralph Strother of Waco's 19th State District Court granted a motion from attorney Landon Northcutt to delay the April 17 trial of one of his three clients, Christopher Julian Carrizal, Christopher Jacob Carrizal or Jerry Edward Pierson.

It still is not clear, Northcutt said, which of the three is going to trial first and Strother did not set another trial date on Friday.

Strother said he will confer with 54th State District Judge Matt Johnson, who is presiding over half of the cases of the 155 bikers indicted in the Twin Peaks incident, before setting another trial date.

By TOMMY WITHERSPOON WacoTrib 3/3/17

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/twin-peaks-biker-shooting/first-twin-peaks-trial-delayed/article_a1f4db10-24fd-5414-9502-6e3355a48b65.html