Author Topic: Congressional candidate: Moon-colonizing companies could destroy cities by dropping rocks  (Read 8146 times)

Offline Just_Victor

I was thinking Catapults.

(Actual I first thought Trebuchets, because Trebuchets are cool, but low gravity works against those)

Lunar trebuchets....   *drooling*

If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

rangerrebew

Congressional candidate: Moon-colonizing companies could destroy cities by dropping rocks

Brianna Wu, a Dem, claims that Moon valuable militarily because rocks ‘have power of 100s of nuclear bombs’

Brianna Wu, a software engineer and video-game developer, sits at her workstation in Boston, in this July 25, 2016, file photo. Wu, the co-founder of a gaming software company who made headlines two years ago when she was threatened, said she wants to run for one of Massachusetts' nine U.S. House seats. Wu said her platform will focus on privacy rights and online harassment. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola, File)
Brianna Wu, a software engineer and video-game developer, sits at her workstation in Boston, in this July 25, 2016, file photo. Wu, the co-founder of a gaming software company who made headlines two years ago when she was threatened, said ... more >

By Bradford Richardson - The Washington Times - Tuesday, February 28, 2017

A transgender-issues activist and Democratic candidate for Congress says the advent of the space tourism industry could give private corporations a “frightening amount of power” to destroy the Earth with rocks because of the Moon’s military importance.

Brianna Wu, a prominent “social justice warrior” in the “Gamergate” controversy who now is running for the House seat in Massachusetts’ 8th District, suggested in a since-deleted tweet that companies could drop rocks from the Moon.

“The moon is probably the most tactically valuable military ground for earth,” the tweet said. “Rocks dropped from there have power of 100s of nuclear bombs.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/feb/28/brianna-wu-claims-companies-could-destroy-cities-b/
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 04:33:08 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

The democrats must have some requirement that you have to be a looney toon to become a member.  The party is absolutely overrun by them. :woohoo: ***hair on fire 10631

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
I was thinking Catapults.

(Actual I first thought Trebuchets, because Trebuchets are cool, but low gravity works against those)

Electromagnetic catapults, a.k.a. mass drivers.
Let it burn.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
In other (FAKE) news, Drug suppliers are struggling to keep up with Bostonian demand for a new drug that combines the effects of LSD and crack cocaine... :silly:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

The real humor in this is that this candidate thinks the space tourism industry would lead to the earth being destroyed from the moon.

Apparently, not too much thought was given as to where the tourists would come from after planet wide destruction. I think it would be bad for business, personally.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
The real humor in this is that this candidate thinks the space tourism industry would lead to the earth being destroyed from the moon.

Apparently, not too much thought was given as to where the tourists would come from after planet wide destruction. I think it would be bad for business, personally.

The danger would come only when there was a large permanent lunar population able to provide for themselves without earth. At that point people begin to grumble about independence

geronl

I know he (Wu) did not, but has anyone else considered the effort needed to build a mass driver that can fling rocks big enough to do mass damage. It would take years of concentrated effort and HUGE amounts of money to get the supporting infrastructure built on the moon to be able to do that. BY the time something like this could become a problem, I'm sure an easy solution will be available.

It would be easier to use Near Earth Asteroids than moon rocks

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

They're already moving and just need a nudge in the right direction.

Offline GrouchoTex

"The Earth is obstructing my view. I must blow it up"

-Marvin the Martian

Offline Smokin Joe

Yeah, but what a waste of a chunk of nickel/iron. Chondrites might fragment easier, and that just wouldn't have the same impact. (pun intended!)

C S Lewis