Author Topic: Congressional candidate: Moon-colonizing companies could destroy cities by dropping rocks  (Read 8155 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
You would have to propel that rock with a sizeable amount of energy so that it would impact the earth and not just orbit around it. How much energy was required for the Apollo vehicles to return to the earth? And they were by no means  city destroyers. Any city destroying rock is going to have to be accelerated with a huge amount of energy.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Footfall, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, and a few (IIRC) John Ringo novels.
@EC

Hammer of God was an asteroid, I think, A. C. Clarke. It wasn't Hammer of the Gods.

Lucifer's Hammer was one. I think there was a similar Greg Bear book.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Lucifer's Hammer.

Lucifer's Hammer was a big comet that hit Earth, completely natural.  Footfall featured the attacking aliens dropping rocks to take out centers of human opposition.

As others have pointed out, in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress the Loonies repurposed the mass drivers meant to send raw materials to Earth into bombardment cannons.

Kinetic bombardment a.k.a. "Project Thor" a.k.a "Rods from God" was one of the advanced weapons concepts thought up by the Air Force during the "Star Wars" push in the late-80s. Jerry Pournelle talks about it in a couple of places on his blog.
Let it burn.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Lucifer's Hammer was a big comet that hit Earth, completely natural.  Footfall featured the attacking aliens dropping rocks to take out centers of human opposition.

As others have pointed out, in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress the Loonies repurposed the mass drivers meant to send raw materials to Earth into bombardment cannons.

Kinetic bombardment a.k.a. "Project Thor" a.k.a "Rods from God" was one of the advanced weapons concepts thought up by the Air Force during the "Star Wars" push in the late-80s. Jerry Pournelle talks about it in a couple of places on his blog.

Thanks for the clarification. I've read a lot of books and can't seem to keep them all straight in my head anymore. Forgetful.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Ghost Bear

Thanks for the clarification. I've read a lot of books and can't seem to keep them all straight in my head anymore. Forgetful.

You're welcome.  ^-^ I have the same problem, especially with books that I read as a kid. Sometimes I'll start reading something and think, "This is very familiar...."  and it's because I read it before.   :shrug:
Let it burn.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
You're welcome.  ^-^ I have the same problem, especially with books that I read as a kid. Sometimes I'll start reading something and think, "This is very familiar...."  and it's because I read it before.   :shrug:

I went and looked. I have Lucifer's Hammer and Footfall.  :shrug:

Offline r9etb

You would have to propel that rock with a sizeable amount of energy so that it would impact the earth and not just orbit around it.

Actually, no... it's easier to crash into the Earth than to put something in orbit about it.

How much energy was required for the Apollo vehicles to return to the earth? And they were by no means  city destroyers. Any city destroying rock is going to have to be accelerated with a huge amount of energy.

The Apollo vehicles approached Earth at something north of 24,000 mph, which represents a whopping kinetic energy.  All of that energy was bled off into the atmosphere by the ablative heat shield.  Had they gone straight through the atmosphere without burning up, they'd have left a very large crater.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Actually, no... it's easier to crash into the Earth than to put something in orbit about it.

ain't that the truth

Offline Ghost Bear

I went and looked. I have Lucifer's Hammer and Footfall.  :shrug:

They are both great books!  I re-read each of them every few years.

I mean, deliberately... not just by accident. 
Let it burn.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
They are both great books!  I re-read each of them every few years.

I mean, deliberately... not just by accident.

The Greg Bear I was thinking of are Eon and Legacy. Sorta like Rama. Sorta not.

geronl

Was that Footfall? Hammer of the Gods? I can't remember.

@Jeff Head included it as a weapon system in his book!

geronl

The Apollo vehicles approached Earth at something north of 24,000 mph, which represents a whopping kinetic energy.  All of that energy was bled off into the atmosphere by the ablative heat shield.  Had they gone straight through the atmosphere without burning up, they'd have left a very large crater.

aiming it might be a bigger challenge

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I was shooting for tactical. Like dropsies. Any dang fool can play planet killer.  ^-^
What-evurrrr!

I didn't mean that big. Just enough to give it an effective radius a couple times the diameter of the target area.  It isn't like someone on the moon is going to throw rocks at Monaco or Lithuania, they'll be aiming at a bigger target, anyway, like Helmland Province, or Guangdong, or Yemen. If it's smaller than that, nuke it from orbit...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Joe Wooten

Brianna Wu, a Dem, claims that Moon valuable militarily because rocks ‘have power of 100s of nuclear bombs’

A transgender-issues activist and Democratic candidate for Congress says the advent of the space tourism industry could give private corporations a “frightening amount of power” to destroy the Earth with rocks because of the Moon’s military importance.

Brianna Wu, a prominent “social justice warrior” in the “Gamergate” controversy who now is running for the House seat in Massachusetts’ 8th District, suggested in a since-deleted tweet that companies could drop rocks from the Moon.

“The moon is probably the most tactically valuable military ground for earth,” the tweet said. “Rocks dropped from there have power of 100s of nuclear bombs.”
SpaceX announced Monday it is planning to launch a tourism venture to the Moon in 2018.

Read More: http://www.isn-news.net/2017/03/congressional-candidate-moon-colonizing.html

Brianna Wu is a complete nutcase starting with the fact he is no woman. He is a surgically/chemically mutilated eunuch who thinks he's a woman.

Offline r9etb

aiming it might be a bigger challenge

Not at all -- it's a straightforward launch window computation.

Offline Joe Wooten

Sure, but you will need mid-course corrections in all likelihood.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

You don't really run into any really unpredictable variables until you hit the atmosphere of earth.

Your speed is high enough that wind direction is meaningless. It really comes down to whether the rock will impact the surface, explode in the air, and if it explodes in the air will it be at a low enough altitude to do serious damage.

Plenty of titanium oxide on the moon, Is titanium resistant to extreme heating at hypersonic speeds?

Offline r9etb

You don't really run into any really unpredictable variables until you hit the atmosphere of earth.

Midcourse corrections are reasonable.  There's probably not enough time in-atmosphere to make significant corrections, but re-entry bodies are steerable.

Your speed is high enough that wind direction is meaningless. It really comes down to whether the rock will impact the surface, explode in the air, and if it explodes in the air will it be at a low enough altitude to do serious damage.

Plenty of titanium oxide on the moon, Is titanium resistant to extreme heating at hypersonic speeds?

Here you've hit upon the re-entry body problem -- it's a matter of heat dissipation vs. speed vs. time.  Manned bodies are blunt.  Missile warheads are sharp.  For both cases, the heat dissipation works -- it's the angles in the middle that are problematic.  (The seminal paper on the topic is here: https://web.archive.org/web/20151013182336/http://naca.central.cranfield.ac.uk/reports/1958/naca-report-1381.pdf)

So a warhead-shaped projectile would be the proper choice.

Offline Smokin Joe

Titanium dioxide (Rutile) melts around 1800 degrees C.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

Sure, but you will need mid-course corrections in all likelihood.
It all depends on how 'surgical' you want the strike to be. If you have enough rock, say an anticipated radius of destruction 2 times the diameter of the intended target area or more, your success is more likely than just throwing something intending to take out a smaller area. in a situation where 'surgical' might mean the elimination of a major metro area, a little slop might get an extra country or two (thinking Europe or Africa, for instance). In larger countries an extra state or province. If you want precision, I'd think it would take something smaller, likely manufactured rather than cut loose as a chunk, and that can be maneuvered, both inbound, and possibly in atmosphere. (The 'Rods from god' approach to kinetic apocalypse.)

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Titanium dioxide (Rutile) melts around 1800 degrees C.

Then Tungsten it is.

Offline Smokin Joe

Then Tungsten it is.
Just factor in the ablation. Send some little ones over and see where they burn up...contact mass should be relatively calculable.

C S Lewis

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The meteor that crashed into Russia  was estimated to be about 55 feet in diameter, weighing 100,000 tons, at a speed of 46,000 mph, and had an energy of 500 kilotons, about 25 times the energy of “Fat Man” that exploded over Nagasaki.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2280920/Meteor-crashed-Russia-largest-space-rock-hit-earth-century-claim-scientists.html

What would the size and speed of Brianna Wu’s rock be to have the energy of 100’s of nuclear bombs?

Offline r9etb

The meteor that crashed into Russia  was estimated to be about 55 feet in diameter, weighing 100,000 tons, at a speed of 46,000 mph, and had an energy of 500 kilotons, about 25 times the energy of “Fat Man” that exploded over Nagasaki.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2280920/Meteor-crashed-Russia-largest-space-rock-hit-earth-century-claim-scientists.html

What would the size and speed of Brianna Wu’s rock be to have the energy of 100’s of nuclear bombs?

For reference, a 1000 kg rock traveling at the speed of Apollo 13 (~40,000 kph) has the energy of about 1.5 tons of TNT.  You'd need a mass of 5000 kg to reach 1 kT.

geronl

"Brianna Wu" is an avowed mentally ill nutcase, not just your regular nutter