Author Topic: Congressional candidate: Moon-colonizing companies could destroy cities by dropping rocks  (Read 8154 times)

Offline kevindavis007

Brianna Wu, a Dem, claims that Moon valuable militarily because rocks ‘have power of 100s of nuclear bombs’

A transgender-issues activist and Democratic candidate for Congress says the advent of the space tourism industry could give private corporations a “frightening amount of power” to destroy the Earth with rocks because of the Moon’s military importance.

Brianna Wu, a prominent “social justice warrior” in the “Gamergate” controversy who now is running for the House seat in Massachusetts’ 8th District, suggested in a since-deleted tweet that companies could drop rocks from the Moon.

“The moon is probably the most tactically valuable military ground for earth,” the tweet said. “Rocks dropped from there have power of 100s of nuclear bombs.”
SpaceX announced Monday it is planning to launch a tourism venture to the Moon in 2018.

Read More: http://www.isn-news.net/2017/03/congressional-candidate-moon-colonizing.html
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Was that Footfall? Hammer of the Gods? I can't remember.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline r9etb

“The moon is probably the most tactically valuable military ground for earth,” the tweet said. “Rocks dropped from there have power of 100s of nuclear bombs.”

Well.... yeah, one could do that; and with a bit of precise targeting and not too terribly much delta-V, either.  But it's cheaper to build and use nukes.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Duh, I've been saying it all along. The moon is the high ground.

Personally I wouldn't screw with rocks.  Tungsten darts launched with mass drivers would be far more effective.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Well.... yeah, one could do that; and with a bit of precise targeting and not too terribly much delta-V, either.  But it's cheaper to build and use nukes.

But nukes are so inhuman. Bashing people to death with a rock goes way back.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Just_Victor

If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Lucifer's Hammer.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Duh, I've been saying it all along. The moon is the high ground.

Personally I wouldn't screw with rocks.  Tungsten darts launched with mass drivers would be far more effective.

Is that like lawn darts? They'd never go for it.  ^-^

Offline Cripplecreek

I do have to wonder what possible incentive a space based company would have to kill lots of their customers in an apparent show of power.

Damocrats. :whistle:

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

Actually, she isn't that nuts. This is something that has been explored by the US Military in many different ways. Kinetic Bombardment. If you are already up there, it is far more of an efficient way of attack that shooting rockets from continent to continent.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
I do have to wonder what possible incentive a space based company would have to kill lots of their customers in an apparent show of power.

Damocrats. :whistle:

If it is a military operation it makes complete sense that it doesn't make sense.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer

Actually, she isn't that nuts. This is something that has been explored by the US Military in many different ways. Kinetic Bombardment. If you are already up there, it is far more of an efficient way of attack that shooting rockets from continent to continent.

I  wonder how much of a miscalculation you can make, the margin of error, to even be close?

Offline kevindavis007

Well the loony part thinks that Spacex is going to bomb earth with Moon Rocks..

Offline Cripplecreek

Elon Musk isn't my favorite person but Dr Evil he ain't.

Plus he already gets more than ONE MILLION DOLLARS

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Very true, but the physics work, the economics work, and history shows us, eventually if man finds it can throw a rock at someone else, they will throw it.

Offline kevindavis007

Elon Musk isn't my favorite person but Dr Evil he ain't.

Plus he already gets more than ONE MILLION DOLLARS

:silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

Offline kevindavis007

Very true, but the physics work, the economics work, and history shows us, eventually if man finds it can throw a rock at someone else, they will throw it.

True..  I think in The Expanse (at least in the Novels).. Earth has been devastated by a serious of meteor showers that was done on purpose.

Offline Cripplecreek

True..  I think in The Expanse (at least in the Novels).. Earth has been devastated by a serious of meteor showers that was done on purpose.

That's where Eros was heading at the end of last week's episode but I think its going to end up impacting Venus.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I  wonder how much of a miscalculation you can make, the margin of error, to even be close?
If you throw a big enough rock, it won't matter.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline kevindavis007

That's where Eros was heading at the end of last week's episode but I think its going to end up impacting Venus.

Not going to say a thing..

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Footfall, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, and a few (IIRC) John Ringo novels.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online andy58-in-nh

But wouldn't that cause the moon to tip over?
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress - Heinlein.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
If you throw a big enough rock, it won't matter.

I was shooting for tactical. Like dropsies. Any dang fool can play planet killer.  ^-^