Author Topic: Taxes Could Flow with Dakota Access Pipeline  (Read 752 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Taxes Could Flow with Dakota Access Pipeline
« on: March 02, 2017, 01:05:08 am »
North Dakota stands to gain more than $110 million annually in tax revenue after oil begins coursing through the Dakota Access pipeline, an analysis by The Associated Press shows.

The calculation shows the potential payoff for a state whose officials have supported the pipeline despite concerns from Native American tribes and other opponents who fear it could harm drinking water and sacred sites. The money the state stands to make in just one year far outstrips the $33 million in costs to police a section of the pipeline that's been the subject of intense and sometimes violent protests over the last year.

"The amount of the windfall to the state doesn't surprise me at all," said Payu Harris, an American Indian activist and pipeline opponent. "That's why the state of North Dakota expended the resources they did."
http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/US-Oil-Pipeline-North/2017/03/01/id/776370/
$90k per day to police the pipeline just that is contentious?

If this becomes the norm, we might have to rethink an increase in severity of crime for those committing pipeline mischief.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Taxes Could Flow with Dakota Access Pipeline
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 01:55:43 am »
During the oil boom, taxable sales in just one 'oil country' county were multiples of that. Where the revenue will show up is in any boost to drilling (from what effectively amounts to about a five dollar per barrel increase in wellhead price because of savings over sending oil by train).
The whole protest song and dance has cost the state a lot of money, and it will be nice to get back to business as usual.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 01:58:15 am »
$90k per day to police the pipeline just that is contentious?

If this becomes the norm, we might have to rethink an increase in severity of crime for those committing pipeline mischief.
I'd go for terrorism charges. Especially for the ones who were breaking into fenced enclosures and shutting valves on operating pipelines. (It could easily be seen as an attack on critical infrastructure in a strategically important industry. Considering that the US is at war, that sounds a lot like sabotage.)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 01:55:58 pm »
I'd go for terrorism charges. Especially for the ones who were breaking into fenced enclosures and shutting valves on operating pipelines. (It could easily be seen as an attack on critical infrastructure in a strategically important industry. Considering that the US is at war, that sounds a lot like sabotage.)
I'd go along with that.
There are no freedoms to willfully destroy other's property.

We need to halt this nonsense in its tracks and a few times saboteurs are locked up for a few years might send some powerful message.

I wonder if a nuclear power plant spends $90k per day for security.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 02:34:38 pm »

I wonder if a nuclear power plant spends $90k per day for security.

Probably. Security costs more than the fuel. 20 to 30 guards per shift 3 shifts a day. Recurrent training including the shooting range and maintenance on the detectors, cameras, and entrance security equipment add up fast. I never got to see the security budget at any plant I worked at. Those numbers were classified and kept secret. I've seen typical numbers touted as about $12,000 per day just for salaries of security personnel, but I do not know how accurate that is.

Offline MajorClay

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 07:46:11 pm »
Absolutely taxes will flow.

geronl

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 09:25:22 pm »
"Yes, yes.... let the taxes flow... bwahahahahaha!"

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 09:31:23 pm »
I think a stay at the Guantanamo Hilton would be suitable.