Author Topic: Best Ways to Steer Clear of the Flu  (Read 707 times)

rangerrebew

Best Ways to Steer Clear of the Flu
« on: March 01, 2017, 12:02:39 pm »
Best Ways to Steer Clear of the Flu
For starters, get a flu vaccine to protect yourself and others, infectious diseases expert says
Email this page to a friend Print Facebook Twitter Google+ Subscribe to RSS
By Mary Elizabeth Dallas
Saturday, January 21, 2017
HealthDay news image

SATURDAY, Jan. 21, 2017 (HealthDay News) -- The best way for people to protect themselves from the flu is to get vaccinated -- and it's not too late to get a shot, an infectious diseases expert says.

The flu vaccine also protects those who aren't able to get it, including infants younger than 6 months and people with certain allergies and medical conditions, said Dr. Jeffrey Kahn. He is chief of pediatric infectious diseases at UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas.

Those who think it's too late to get vaccinated should reconsider since flu season lasts until spring, Kahn said in a medical center news release.

UT Southwestern outlines other ways people can reduce their risk of getting the flu:

https://medlineplus.gov/news/fullstory_163183.html
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 12:03:09 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Applewood

Re: Best Ways to Steer Clear of the Flu
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 03:23:37 am »
I might add.-- stay off any form of public transportation -- planes, trains, buses -- anything that will bring you in close contact with ignorant strangers who never learned to cover their noses and mouths when they sneeze or cough.  That's how I got the flu last year.  Some putz behind me on an airplane was spewing his germs on me and everyone else. I had been vaccinated for the flu and pneumonia, but I was hacking for weeks. 

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 04:21:45 am »
@mrpotatohead

Sorry about your friend's father.  I will include him and his family in my prayers.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 03:34:43 pm »
@mrpotatohead

Sorry about your friend's father.  I will include him and his family in my prayers.
Thank you so much!
@Applewood