Author Topic: Watch: How to Become a Space Archaeologist  (Read 629 times)

rangerrebew

Watch: How to Become a Space Archaeologist
« on: February 28, 2017, 04:04:36 pm »
Watch: How to Become a Space Archaeologist
New online tool enables anyone with Internet access to search satellite images for ancient ruins.

Space Archaeology 101: The Next Frontier of Exploration

Archaeologist Sarah Parcak uses satellite images to identify buried sites. Now anyone with access to the Internet can do the same through Parcak’s new crowdsourcing platform called GlobalXplorer°.
By Tom Clynes

PUBLISHED January 30, 2017

She’s been described as a hybrid of Indiana Jones and Google Earth. Now archaeologist Sarah Parcak—who pioneered the use of satellite imagery to discover lost cities and buried ruins—has an ambitious plan to use technology and crowdsourcing to protect remnants of the ancient world.

Today Parcak launches GlobalXplorer°, an online tool that’s part of a coordinated global effort to use technology to spur discovery and outpace destruction.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/01/archaeologists-parcak-globalxplorer-looting-ted-prize/
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 04:05:11 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Watch: How to Become a Space Archaeologist
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 04:38:32 pm »
About time. I have a couple of theories and areas I want to check out. I can't get squat for resolution from Gargoyle Earf.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis