Author Topic: As predicted, Wendy’s moves to replace workers with kiosks  (Read 3868 times)

Offline endicom

As predicted, Wendy’s moves to replace workers with kiosks
« on: February 27, 2017, 11:33:46 pm »
Hot Air
Jazz Shaw
Feb. 27, 2017

Well, that didn’t take long at all. Rather than waiting to see how the Fight for 15 turns out, fast food chain Wendy’s announced this week that they will be moving into the world of automated sales at some of their restaurants starting with a pilot program in Ohio. The technology they are installing has already been available and in use for some time in Europe and Asia, as well as in other point of sales applications in America. But for those who have been so loudly arguing in favor of a “living wage” for people taking starter jobs asking if you would like fries with that, this announcement has some ominous portents. (Business Insider)

More... http://hotair.com/archives/2017/02/27/as-predicted-wendys-moves-to-replace-workers-with-kiosks/

Wingnut

Re: As predicted, Wendy’s moves to replace workers with kiosks
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 11:36:52 pm »
Oh well.   No one wants those jobs anyway.   :whistle:

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 11:41:55 pm »
Awesome. I might actually get the order I placed now.

Offline dfwgator

Offline endicom

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 12:11:25 am »
Oh well.   No one wants those jobs anyway.   :whistle:

As long as it moves more people onto welfare.

Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 12:16:38 am »

As long as it moves more people onto welfare.

It is a sustainable model of liberal growth and control all the way to the end.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 12:28:51 am »
The government ought to make a law banning these type of things as they are taking jobs away from Americans. At the very least, put a stiff tax on the companies that use anything like this to displace American workers.

/sarc

Offline Applewood

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 01:42:55 am »
Congratulations, you stupid people looking to make $15 an hour.  You just priced yourselves out of a job. 

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 04:57:03 am »
Awesome. I might actually get the order I placed now.
Well you certainly won't be able to blame some else if it's wrong, unless you're schizophrenic. :tongue2:

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 05:03:48 am »
Well you certainly won't be able to blame some else if it's wrong, unless you're schizophrenic. :tongue2:

There is ALWAYS someone else to blame. I got the software designer and the owner of the store just off the top of my head. If that fails I still have the power company up my sleeve.

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 05:07:00 am »
The government ought to make a law banning these type of things as they are taking jobs away from Americans. At the very least, put a stiff tax on the companies that use anything like this to displace American workers.

/sarc
Don't sweat it, they'll just bump that extra 5% they want to tax White people up to 10 or 15% so that they can pay the multi colors to sit at home smokin cigarretes, drinkin beer and poppin out little ATM's.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 05:32:04 am »
Congratulations, you stupid people looking to make $15 an hour.  You just priced yourselves out of a job.
Recall the Hostess strike? http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/16/news/companies/hostess-closing/index.html
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 05:38:21 am »
@CatherineofAragon

My Yorkie, Prissy, goes to the groomer every three weeks.  When we pick her up, we go to Wendy's and get her just the meat patty.  When we are at the window, she sticks her head out the widow and the clerk pets her, they know her now.  She prefers Wendy's meat patty than McDonalds.  I don't know how she will react to a mechanical box at the window.  Plus, I hope the box is able to give us just the meat patty.  I will tell her about this change going to happen.  She is not going to be happy about this as she is a people doggie, not a box doggie.

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 09:06:37 am »
@CatherineofAragon

My Yorkie, Prissy, goes to the groomer every three weeks.  When we pick her up, we go to Wendy's and get her just the meat patty.  When we are at the window, she sticks her head out the widow and the clerk pets her, they know her now.  She prefers Wendy's meat patty than McDonalds.  I don't know how she will react to a mechanical box at the window.  Plus, I hope the box is able to give us just the meat patty.  I will tell her about this change going to happen.  She is not going to be happy about this as she is a people doggie, not a box doggie.

For now they are just talking about order kiosks and most likely in lobby only,. so don't worry you will have an English as sort of a second language person handing you your food.

Online DB

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 09:12:53 am »

/sarc

The brilliant Bill Gates says we need to tax robotics that take jobs... Real forward thinker that man... Now that has his...

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2017, 09:21:44 am »
The brilliant Bill Gates says we need to tax robotics that take jobs... Real forward thinker that man... Now that has his...
Well, he is a forward thinker. Fewer people, less income tax to collect. A robot makes money, and there is no Obamacare insurance to buy, if it breaks you fix it or scrap it and you can get spare parts. You don't have to match the FICA, you don't have to withhold taxes or do payroll, or even screw around with who needs what day off, comes in late, or calls in sick.

If the ordinary folks aren't making and spending money, there's less sales tax to collect, because robots won't stop at the convenience store on the way home. Less fuel tax, because they won't commute, no uniforms, no worker's comp...

Unintended consequences, et fricking cetera.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online DB

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2017, 09:40:41 am »
Well, he is a forward thinker. Fewer people, less income tax to collect. A robot makes money, and there is no Obamacare insurance to buy, if it breaks you fix it or scrap it and you can get spare parts. You don't have to match the FICA, you don't have to withhold taxes or do payroll, or even screw around with who needs what day off, comes in late, or calls in sick.

If the ordinary folks aren't making and spending money, there's less sales tax to collect, because robots won't stop at the convenience store on the way home. Less fuel tax, because they won't commute, no uniforms, no worker's comp...

Unintended consequences, et fricking cetera.

Well if they had only started by taxing the tractor we'd have full employment producing our food...

I wonder how many professions Bill Gates had a major hand in making obsolete. The list has to be long...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 09:45:41 am by DB »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2017, 10:03:16 am »
Well if they had only started by taxing the tractor we'd have full employment producing our food...

I wonder how many professions Bill Gates had a major hand in making obsolete. The list has to be long...
Tractors replaced 'paid' field hands and horses, which (in some areas) replaced slaves. Only those field hands collected wages, some even paid taxes, provided they spoke English, but most were paid in cash at the end of the day or on Monday evening to give their Missus a chance to get some things before the weekend.
Automation will continue to eliminate jobs, at least Gates realizes that will thin out the tax base, too.

C S Lewis

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2017, 02:02:48 pm »
Okay, folks, when it's not fry-slingers, but truck-drivers, radiologists, lawyers, accountants,... being put out of work because AI does the job at least as well, and cheaper, or AI-assist makes it possible for one person to do the work currently done by 100 (e.g. MOOCs replacing HS and college teaching)  what is the non-statist, free-market solution to the problem created by mass unemployment?

Don't say the market will create new jobs.  To the extent that is true, they will all be jobs requiring above average intelligence, because there will come a point when all, not all existing, but all jobs that can be reliably done by persons of below average intelligence can be done more cheaply and more reliably by robots or AI (yes, all, including picking soft fruit, working call centers and "sex work") . The incentives of the market mean that managers, looking out for the interests of their shareholders the size of their bonuses, will inexorably replace human employees with robots and AI systems.

The left's solution makes everyone wards of the omnicompetent state.  We one the right had better come up a competing solution, or Mussolini's dream of "All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state," will be realized within the life-time of the younger posters here.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 02:05:30 pm by The_Reader_David »
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2017, 02:37:03 pm »
Amazon's Alexa is now providing possible diagnoses given a certain set of symptoms.  Apparently it's fast and accurate.

Offline endicom

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2017, 03:13:45 pm »
Where have all the chicken pluckers gone? Long time passing.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2017, 03:19:45 pm »
They graduated from chokin' school and got a new job title.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2017, 03:22:43 pm »
Amazon's Alexa is now providing possible diagnoses given a certain set of symptoms.  Apparently it's fast and accurate.
The logic tree isn't too terribly complex, at least for most of the more common things.
Most mothers and grandmothers I have known (in our family) could reason out things pretty well, and knew when they'd need to get antibiotics or something more advanced in terms of tests. A few could pretty well tell you what antibiotic would work, too.
I'd wager that anything that might be serious ends in an admonition to see a physician.

C S Lewis

Wingnut

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2017, 03:27:17 pm »

How To Properly Scald A Chicken 

http://thedeliberateagrarian.blogspot.com/2009/02/how-to-properly-scald-chicken-my-never.html

Follow this simple never-fail technique and you will never under-scald a chicken and have a hassle getting the bird plucked,

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2017, 03:41:06 pm »
How To Properly Scald A Chicken 

http://thedeliberateagrarian.blogspot.com/2009/02/how-to-properly-scald-chicken-my-never.html

Follow this simple never-fail technique and you will never under-scald a chicken and have a hassle getting the bird plucked,
Thanks for that link!

C S Lewis