Author Topic: RIP, Movement Conservatism  (Read 619 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
RIP, Movement Conservatism
« on: February 27, 2017, 02:19:46 pm »
February 27, 2017
RIP, Movement Conservatism
By J.R. Dunn

Among his other accomplishments, Donald Trump, without ever intending to, has fractured conservatism – something that was long overdue.

The American conservative movement has come quite a distance since the middle of the last century, from a small coterie viewed with contempt by the larger culture to the front ranks of a juggernaut that set back the plans of this country’s left-wing collectivists to a degree that its founders would not have considered possible. (Recall William F. Buckley’s statement that the role of conservatism was to “stand athwart history, yelling “stop.”  Incredible as it may seem, “history” did stop.) Today, in large part due to its own success, it is on its way back to coterie status.

more
http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2017/02/rip_movement_conservatism.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: RIP, Movement Conservatism
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 02:39:03 pm »
For later.

Offline endicom

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 02:57:10 pm »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 03:01:38 pm »
I think I'm pretty much done with the whole "movement" (which is more of a bowel movement at this point).

I don't know what I am but it ain't conservative anymore.

I don't either side anymore, and the two "sides" are just coin flips of each other at this point.

I still like capitalism and the constitution though.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 03:07:09 pm »
I called this at tos a year ago. Trump will redefine what conservatism is.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 03:07:11 pm »
I think I'm pretty much done with the whole "movement" (which is more of a bowel movement at this point).

I don't know what I am but it ain't conservative anymore.

I don't either side anymore, and the two "sides" are just coin flips of each other at this point.

I still like capitalism and the constitution though.

I've been calling myself a federalist. Conservatives and liberals are meaningless terms that are simply abbreviated means of telling the world who they hate.

"Federalism" has a very distinct meaning that isn't easily twisted to new meanings.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 03:26:33 pm »
Did folks actually read the article?

As usual, sounds like the chest-pounders already have invaded this thread, just as stated in the article but the other place has it so much as to render that other forum close to irrelevant at times.

Many have fallen into extreme views without even being clearly be aware of it, having no basis of experience or knowledge to guide them. (The so-called “Alt.right” is largely made up of these people.) Extremists, including neo-Nazis, anti-Semites, Birchers, and so forth, are sniffing around the fringes of the movement to see who can they can tempt. We find them infesting the comment threads of Breitbart, ZeroHedge, Gateway Pundit, even here at AT. Too many people are letting them get away with it. (A couple of years ago I wrote a column condemning the racists and anti-Semites using AT comment threads to recruit. I was shocked and dismayed when several figures associated with the Tea Parties came to their defense.)

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2017/02/rip_movement_conservatism.html#ixzz4ZtphoNLC
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

We need to find a way to meld the intensity and seriousness of purpose of the new populism with the knowledge and experience of the old conservative movement.

This may not be easy, but it’s far from impossible either.

He states this well; Trump has already ventured into Federalism (trans rollback) and obviously honors many tenets of Conservatism. I'm just hoping the usual backstabbing doesn't show up again.

A very good article.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 03:27:09 pm »
I called this at tos a year ago. Trump will redefine what conservatism is.

Didn't have a chance to read the article?

Offline TomSea

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 03:28:37 pm »
Medved said he wasn't sure he wanted Trump to win because it might represent a change in the things the GOP stood for but now he seems on board.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 03:31:57 pm »
Medved said he wasn't sure he wanted Trump to win because it might represent a change in the things the GOP stood for but now he seems on board.

What does Medved know about conservatism?

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 03:37:02 pm »

All the right wing talkers are worried about their bottom line. They have to go down with Trump.

Meanwhile, people my age and younger aren't listening to the AM radio blabbers anymore.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 03:40:41 pm »
Good riddance.