Author Topic: Why Do "Progressives" Like War?  (Read 439 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Why Do "Progressives" Like War?
« on: February 26, 2017, 05:01:27 pm »
Liberals are supposed to be antiwar, right? I went to college in the 1960s, when students nationwide were rising up in opposition to the Vietnam War. I was a Young Republican back then and supported the war through sheer ignorance and dislike of the sanctimoniousness of the protesters, some of whom were surely making their way to Canada to live in exile on daddy’s money while I was on a bus going to Fort Leonard Wood for basic combat training. I can’t even claim that I had some grudging respect for the antiwar crowd because I didn’t, but I did believe that at least some of them who were not being motivated by being personally afraid of getting hurt were actually sincere in their opposition to the awful things that were happening in Southeast Asia.

As I look around now, however, I see something quite different. The lefties I knew in college are now part of the Establishment and generally speaking are retired limousine liberals. And they now call themselves progressives, of course, because it sounds more educated and sends a better message, implying as it does that troglodytic conservatives are anti-progress. But they also have done a flip on the issue of war and peace. In its most recent incarnation some of this might be attributed to a desperate desire to relate to the Hillary Clinton campaign with its bellicosity towards Russia, Syria and Iran, but I suspect that the inclination to identify enemies goes much deeper than that, back as far as the Bill Clinton Administration with its sanctions on Iraq and the Balkan adventure, which resulted in hundreds of thousands of deaths and the creation of a terror-narco state in the heart of Europe. And more recently we have seen the Obama meddling in Libya, Yemen and Syria in so called humanitarian interventions which have turned out to be largely fraudulent. Yes, under the Obama Dems it was “responsibility to protect time” (r2p) and all the world trembled as the drones were let loose.

Last Friday I started to read an op-ed in The Washington Post by David Ignatius that blew me away. It began “President Trump confronts complicated problems as the investigation widens into Russia’s attack on our political system.” It then proceeded to lay out the case for an “aggressive Russia” in the terms that have been repeated ad nauseam in the mainstream media. And it was, of course, lacking in any evidence, as if the opinions of coopted journalists and the highly politicized senior officials in the intelligence community should be regarded as sacrosanct. These are, not coincidentally, the same people who have reportedly recently been working together to undercut the White House by leaking and then reporting highly sensitive transcripts of phone calls with Russian officials.

http://www.unz.com/pgiraldi/why-do-progressives-like-war/
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline endicom

Re: Why Do "Progressives" Like War?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 05:23:12 pm »
An internationalist outlook, a warmongering outlook, was not until recently considered conservative.  A strong military perhaps, a la Eisenhower, but then Ike did what he could to avoid war.

What changed?

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 05:41:42 pm »
An internationalist outlook, a warmongering outlook, was not until recently considered conservative.  A strong military perhaps, a la Eisenhower, but then Ike did what he could to avoid war.

What changed?

Someone played a Trump card.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline endicom

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 05:44:37 pm »
Someone played a Trump card.

Someone playing with a full deck.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 05:56:35 pm »

Someone playing with a full deck.

That includes the joker's, right?

I'm having a hard time lately trying to decide if people like Maddow are an evil genius or a programmed mindless drone mouthing the party line regardless of its comprehensibility or cogency.