Author Topic: Trump national security adviser wants to avoid term 'radical Islamic terrorism', sources say  (Read 1066 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
HR McMaster felt phrase castigates ‘an entire religion’ and indicated ‘he’s not on board’ – a contrast with the president and many key staff members

Donald Trump’s new national security adviser has told staff at the White House he does not wish to use the term “radical Islamic terrorism” to describe the terrorist threat the US faces, according to multiple sources.
White House confirms conversation with FBI about Trump and Russia
Read more

HR McMaster, a respected army lieutenant general, struck notes more consistent with traditional counterterrorism analysts and espoused consensus foreign-policy views during a meeting he held with his new National Security Council staff on Thursday.

Some in the meeting left with questions about whether McMaster’s evident disagreements with Trump and his key aides portend further turbulence for the key national security and foreign policy decision-making forum.

Participants tell the Guardian that they were struck by the contrast between McMaster’s worldview and that of the president, who has repeatedly used a phrase that Muslims in the US and globally feel portrays them as threats to be confronted.

A participant, paraphrasing McMaster, said: “He said he doesn’t want to call it radical Islamic terrorism because the terrorists are, quote, ‘un-Islamic’.”

McMaster, the participant said, indicated that the phrase castigates “an entire religion” and “he’s not on board”.

At the meeting, multiple sources said, McMaster discomfited White House staffers who view the terrorist threat in those religious terms and who were said to have exchanged awkward looks with each other.

Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/25/hr-mcmaster-national-security-radical-islamic-terrorism-trump

Oh goody.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Norm Lenhart

Get rid of this idiot. We do not need the Obama doctrine continued.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Disappointing.

I don't particularly want someone who is all "Nuke Mecca," since that's retarded, but I do want a nat sec advisor who can actually tell the truth about what people are facing.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline dfwgator

I would get rid of the term "radical Islam".  It's not radical, it's just plain Islam, that's what it is.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I've heard he's helped taken down a number of bad hombre terrorist types, actions speak louder than words. I'll have to see how he does his job which is more important than the parsing of words that this and other articles talk about.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

Offline Victoria33

@EC

McMaster is going against Trump.  If Trump requires McMaster to change his words to his, McMaster may walk.

Oceander

Gee, weren't (at least) a few people castigating democrats/liberals for not saying "Islamic terrorism"?  But it's hunky-dory if Trump's people do it?

Offline Norm Lenhart

Gee, weren't (at least) a few people castigating democrats/liberals for not saying "Islamic terrorism"?  But it's hunky-dory if Trump's people do it?

Just good ol' situational ethics on display. Remember that some of them also said principle was the problem.