Author Topic: How the modern welfare state fundamentally changed the incentives of immigration  (Read 673 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Immigration Economics
How the modern welfare state fundamentally changed the incentives of immigration
By Valentin Schmid, Epoch Times   |February 23, 2017 AT 10:25 AM

Immigrants built America into a superpower, coming first from England, then from Germany, Ireland, France, Russia, and Eastern Europe.

America had open borders. Virtually anyone arriving by boat at Ellis Island was registered, then set free to make their way in the growing nation.

Today, we have complex laws regulating immigration, begging the question: If it was better in yesteryear, should we return to the open border system of the 19th century? Unfortunately, a simple yes or no won’t do for an answer.

The economics of immigration are complex and have changed from times past. In order to understand the advantages and disadvantages, one needs to understand the economic incentives of different immigration systems.

Free Market Model

Continued: http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/2225055-the-incentives-of-immigration-immigration-economics-2/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
There is nothing the least bit complex about this. Prior to the establishment of the Welfare Nation,immigrants came to America because they would be free here to work hard,profit from their work,and make better lives for themselves and their children.

They wanted to be Americans,and they wanted their children to be Americans.

Now the vast majority of them come here to retire in place with "Free" housing,clothing,food,utilities,medical care,education,and a nice check each month to spend on anything they want to spend it on.

They could have remained at home in whatever Shitstainistan they came from ,and not lived so well as the day they set foot in America if they had been able to live and work for 200 years at home.

The ones that come today have no desire to EVER become Americans. In FACT,they want America to turn into the countries they came here from,except they still want to keep all the free stuff.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
There is nothing the least bit complex about this. Prior to the establishment of the Welfare Nation,immigrants came to America because they would be free here to work hard,profit from their work,and make better lives for themselves and their children.

They wanted to be Americans,and they wanted their children to be Americans.

Now the vast majority of them come here to retire in place with "Free" housing,clothing,food,utilities,medical care,education,and a nice check each month to spend on anything they want to spend it on.

They could have remained at home in whatever Shitstainistan they came from ,and not lived so well as the day they set foot in America if they had been able to live and work for 200 years at home.

The ones that come today have no desire to EVER become Americans. In FACT,they want America to turn into the countries they came here from,except they still want to keep all the free stuff.

When I was a youngster I had a Mexican friend who walked to and from school with a group of us every day. On one occasion, I cannot for the life of me remember exactly why I stopped by his house for a few minutes and was introduced to his mother with him translating for her since she could not herself speak a word of English.  Days later I found out that my friend had been severely punished for having spoken Spanish in front of me on that occasion.  That is how much they USED to want to assimilate!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
How the modern welfare state fundamentally changed the incentives of immigration?

They're seriously asking that?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
When I was a youngster I had a Mexican friend who walked to and from school with a group of us every day. On one occasion, I cannot for the life of me remember exactly why I stopped by his house for a few minutes and was introduced to his mother with him translating for her since she could not herself speak a word of English.  Days later I found out that my friend had been severely punished for having spoken Spanish in front of me on that occasion.  That is how much they USED to want to assimilate!

My wife is the daughter of an immigrant from Italy. There was no effort to have any of the six kids learn Italian.

My grandfather spoke fluent Swedish, but taught none of it to his two sons.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
My wife is the daughter of an immigrant from Italy. There was no effort to have any of the six kids learn Italian.

My grandfather spoke fluent Swedish, but taught none of it to his two sons.

Unfortunately, that kind of behavior is a thing of the past now.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@truth_seeker

One of my best friends came from an Italian family that came to America with his grandfather and his grandmother. His father and mother speak Italian because they had to sometimes do some translating for their parents,but not only does my friend and his brothers and sitster not speak any Italian more complex than "spaghetti",the family name was changed by his parents to a name you would think came from England.

He has heard and is still a little sensitive about the way his grandparents and his parents were treated as outsiders when they were young,but he understands the reasons for the "no Italian spoken" and the name change. If they had wanted to remain Italian,they would have remained in Italy. They wanted to become Americans,so they BECAME Americans.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
@truth_seeker

If they had wanted to remain Italian,they would have remained in Italy. They wanted to become Americans,so they BECAME Americans.
I have been an honorary member of that family for 50 years. They are red-white-blue Americans, first and foremost.

I learned what family should be about, from them. Italian food, American Hot Rods, and Rock n Roll music.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline anubias

Times have changed.  Now it's all about preserving one's heritage and being proud of it.  Being American is not what it once was unfortunately.

If you'll recall, that was a big Lib push a few decades ago.  It was successful as it has "fundamentally" changed America.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 04:16:10 am by anubias »