Author Topic: The Nine Lives of George Washington  (Read 1614 times)

rangerrebew

The Nine Lives of George Washington
« on: February 25, 2017, 09:55:19 pm »
The Nine Lives of George Washington
By Rebecca Kreston | November 8, 2016 6:05 pm

This presidential election has been notable in many regards, but perhaps most conspicuously in the preoccupation of the media with the health of the Democratic and Republican candidates. At no other time has the American public scrutinized and debated the medical fitness and stamina of the two rival candidates. In celebration of today’s grand political tradition, Election Day, the health of the inaugural president will be discussed, the gentleman whose serene gaze graces both the quarter-dollar coin and one dollar bill, he of cherry tree and hippo teeth fame, survivor of more than a half a dozen deadly plagues: George Washington.

Washington’s life spanned the 18th century, an age rampant with contagious disease. All told, Washington suffered from at least nine known serious infections caused by bacteria, parasites and viruses that resulted in the deaths of his family members and contemporaries and could certainly have killed him as well. Ultimately, it would be a suffocating throat infection typically associated with children that would lead to his quick death.
A portrait of George Washington by James Barton Longacre, ca. 1845. Image: Library of Congress. Click for source.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/bodyhorrors/2016/11/08/washington-election-id/#more-2218

« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 09:56:14 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline ConservativeGranny

Re: The Nine Lives of George Washington
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 04:32:39 am »
He must have had a superb immune system!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 04:34:21 pm »
Great story.  Who knew they were performing variola vaccinations that early?

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 04:39:40 pm »
Great story.  Who knew they were performing variola vaccinations that early?

Joseph Warren and Benjamin Church, besides being revolutionaries, also experimented with Smallpox vaccinations at the quarantine station on Castle Island in 1770s Boston.

There were no needles back then; instead they'd make a small incision and drag a piece of thread sodden with what I guess was the diminished virus through it.

rangerrebew

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 04:03:05 pm »
A number of potential battles were called off in the Revolution if there were a small pox breakout in the area.

Silver Pines

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 10:16:54 pm »
Joseph Warren and Benjamin Church, besides being revolutionaries, also experimented with Smallpox vaccinations at the quarantine station on Castle Island in 1770s Boston.

There were no needles back then; instead they'd make a small incision and drag a piece of thread sodden with what I guess was the diminished virus through it.

@skeeter

Years ago I read a book about the early efforts to immunize against smallpox (can't recall the title).  A lot of people sickened and died as they tried to get it right.  Scary times.

As for Washington, my favorite president, I think God was with him.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 10:35:41 pm »
@skeeter

Years ago I read a book about the early efforts to immunize against smallpox (can't recall the title).  A lot of people sickened and died as they tried to get it right.  Scary times.

Yeah. Washington experimented with "Variolation" at Valley Forge. Some did die but not nearly as many as would have died if smallpox had come in naturally. I'm not sure if he was among those using cowpox.

Cotton Mather also experimented with early forms of vaccination. (So much for those science hating puritans).

Offline skeeter

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 11:19:00 pm »
@skeeter

I think you're right. The more I learn about Washington the more I realize that we don't honor him enough for what he accomplished.

Silver Pines

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 11:53:32 pm »
I think you're right. The more I learn about Washington the more I realize that we don't honor him enough for what he accomplished.

@skeeter

I completely agree with you.

Silver Pines

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 11:54:17 pm »
Yeah. Washington experimented with "Variolation" at Valley Forge. Some did die but not nearly as many as would have died if smallpox had come in naturally. I'm not sure if he was among those using cowpox.

Cotton Mather also experimented with early forms of vaccination. (So much for those science hating puritans).

@Cripplecreek

Lol, so backward.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 12:27:06 am »
@Cripplecreek

Lol, so backward.

I was looking at my mother's Kindle and saw that she had the "Narrative of the life of Frederick Douglass" so I read that yesterday and this morning. I opened "Up from Slavery, an autobiography" By Booker T Washington.

I see she also has  "The Life of Washington, A Child's History of America: Told in One-Syllable Words" written in the mid 1800s. It should be interesting to see her view of him then compared to the common views now.