Author Topic: Executive orders  (Read 1342 times)

Offline pjohns

Executive orders
« on: February 25, 2017, 06:39:48 pm »
During the previous administration, I regularly criticized then-President Obama for ruling through executive orders.  And he fully deserved the criticism, in my opinion.

At the moment, however, President Trump is doing very much the same thing.  And I am not sure, at all, if it is better for a Republican president to be ruling that way than it is for a Democratic  president to do so.

Now, I have no problem, at all, with President Trump's using executive orders to repeal Barack Obama's executive orders.

But for other matters, I believe that he should go through Congress--which is not merely an asterisk in our political system.  (At least, it is not meant to be.)   

Thoughts?

Offline LonestarDream

Re: Executive orders
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 06:42:13 pm »
Tell ya what.  After Trump rolls back decades of liberalism, we can have President Mike Coolidge Pence starting in 2024.

Even Jonah Goldberg wrote about this.
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 07:05:38 pm »
He is using EOs to rollback 0's EOs.  No, I don't have a problem with it.  He could expand it and use EOs the way 0 did, but until if and when that happens, I don't see a problem. 

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 07:08:32 pm »
He is using EOs to rollback 0's EOs.  No, I don't have a problem with it.  He could expand it and use EOs the way 0 did, but until if and when that happens, I don't see a problem.

Pence will be running the government like HW Bush did the last two years of Reagan.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 07:14:22 pm »

Pence will be running the government like HW Bush did the last two years of Reagan.

Huh?

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 07:21:58 pm »
Bottom line ...if your guy is doing it no problem...if their guy does it the Republic will not last another second... :thud:

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 07:23:42 pm »
Huh?

Pence is already running a yuge  Portofolio as did Cheney and HW Bush in their day.

Trumpism is the pathway to conservatism. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 07:55:45 pm »
Pence is already running a yuge  Portofolio as did Cheney and HW Bush in their day.

Trumpism is the pathway to conservatism.

Oh, OK, I see what you mean.

Offline pjohns

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 10:24:49 pm »

Here is a list of the 23 executive orders that President Trump had issued through February 3, 2017:  http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/02/03/list-trumps-executive-orders.html

Can you honestly say that all of these were merely efforts to undo the former president's executive orders?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 10:47:48 pm »
Here is a list of the 23 executive orders that President Trump had issued through February 3, 2017:  http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/02/03/list-trumps-executive-orders.html

Can you honestly say that all of these were merely efforts to undo the former president's executive orders?

All? I was, of course speaking generally. 

Most of them do seem to be an effort to rollback much of the damage caused by 0, yes.  I misspoke when I said "EO" in regards to 0 because he used Presidental Memoranda instead of EOs.  However, do you see a problem with the EOs in your list?  Do they not seem like appropriate executive directives?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 10:48:54 pm by Sanguine »

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 10:50:52 pm »
All? I was, of course speaking generally. 

Most of them do seem to be an effort to rollback much of the damage caused by 0, yes.  I misspoke when I said "EO" in regards to 0 because he used Presidental Memoranda instead of EOs.  However, do you see a problem with the EOs in your list?  Do they not seem like appropriate executive directives?

I see them as doing what he was elected to do.  Eradicate the eight years of Obama.  Not an easy task by any means.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 10:59:45 pm »
It would be quite useful if Congress were to author and pass legislation to do what these EOs do.

Let's see how that turns out after Congress gets back from break.

Does anybody know if they have passed any measures, that Trump has also signed?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 04:12:56 am »
It would be quite useful if Congress were to author and pass legislation to do what these EOs do.

Let's see how that turns out after Congress gets back from break.

Does anybody know if they have passed any measures, that Trump has also signed?

A few...

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/signed-legislation
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 08:01:56 am »
Like so many things there exists a dichotomy of ideas - In Theory vs In Practice.

In theory only Congress has the power of the purse but in practice the president is given a wide latitude for spending taxpayer dollars.

In theory Executive Orders can only clarify or direct the execution of existing laws but in practice they have been used to create new law.

In theory politicians should act only in their constituent's best interest but . . .

Offline pjohns

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 05:20:10 pm »
[D]o you see a problem with the EOs in your list?  Do they not seem like appropriate executive directives?

I think there is an enormous difference between pragmatism and principle. 

Pragmatically, one may agree with the results of an action; whereas, as a matter of pure principle, one does not like the action taken.

And principle trumps pragmatism, in my book.

Always. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 05:27:24 pm »
I think there is an enormous difference between pragmatism and principle. 

Pragmatically, one may agree with the results of an action; whereas, as a matter of pure principle, one does not like the action taken.

And principle trumps pragmatism, in my book.

Always.

Well, OK, that shoe took a long time to drop!

Not sure you are commenting on what I actually said, starting with this:  "He is using EOs to rollback 0's EOs."

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2017, 05:34:40 pm »
Huh?

Somethings are best left unanswered...trust me.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline pjohns

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2017, 01:11:50 am »
Not sure you are commenting on what I actually said, starting with this:  "He is using EOs to rollback 0's EOs."

In the OP, I said:

"Now, I have no problem, at all, with President Trump's using executive orders to repeal Barack Obama's executive orders."

I think that pretty well covers my views, in that area.

It is executive orders that are not intended merely to undo former President Obama's executive orders that trouble me.  (For these, it would be much better to go through Congress, I think.) 

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2017, 01:28:46 am »
Executive orders are meaningless without legislation to back them up. People can cheer about him rolling back Obama's executive orders if the want but the next democrat will simply issue some executive orders.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2017, 01:32:35 am »
There can be a difference.

Remember: the executive branch of government is responsible for actually administering government functions. Therefore, as any chief executive would do for a corporation, the leader needs to issue orders so that his organization functions according to the directives he is giving them.

The real question is: are the EOs being issued an attempt at creating restrictions or legal prohibitions that do not otherwise exist in law? Or are they directing branches of the government to ignore or work around existing law?

If that is the case, then the EO is an abuse of power. If not - or if the EO is designed to undo other EOs, which is totally valid - then the EO is acceptable.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2017, 01:41:16 am »
In the OP, I said:

"Now, I have no problem, at all, with President Trump's using executive orders to repeal Barack Obama's executive orders."

I think that pretty well covers my views, in that area.

It is executive orders that are not intended merely to undo former President Obama's executive orders that trouble me.  (For these, it would be much better to go through Congress, I think.)

On that last sentence we can agree.

Offline endicom

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2017, 02:00:40 am »

I didn't see any that expand government control of we the peeps. Some reduce that control.

If government, especially FedGov, should be doing certain things involved in those EOs is another matter.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2017, 03:02:51 am »
As long as their guy is doing it most on the right are fine with it...we really don't have much of a political system anymore... it's kabuki theater that both sides roll out for the entertainment of their supporters.....

Actually I no longer blame the politicians..the voters are getting what they want :shrug:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2017, 03:41:46 am »
As long as their guy is doing it most on the right are fine with it...we really don't have much of a political system anymore... it's kabuki theater that both sides roll out for the entertainment of their supporters.....

Actually I no longer blame the politicians..the voters are getting what they want :shrug:

More like what they deserve.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!