Author Topic: Adulting School Teaches Young Adults Grown-Up Skills  (Read 769 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Adulting School Teaches Young Adults Grown-Up Skills
« on: February 25, 2017, 04:06:33 pm »
Transitioning to adulthood isn't new, but there is a more modern way to describe it: adulting.

And now a new school in Maine, called the Adulting School, is dedicated to teaching skills like these to fledgling adults so they can become successful grown-ups.

http://www.npr.org/2017/02/21/510554718/adulting-school-teaches-young-adults-grown-up-skills

Where have all the cowboys gone?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline endicom

Re: Adulting School Teaches Young Adults Grown-Up Skills
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 04:11:47 pm »
You can't make me!

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 04:12:38 pm »
My grandfather spent his "coming of age" as a quartermaster on a Navy destroyer in the Pacific theater in WW2. He was at Leyte Gulf, Guadalcanal, and was in over 100 air raids in 3 days.

That was his adulting school.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 04:39:58 pm »
Where were their parents?  They really need someone to teach them how to fold a fitted sheet or cook a meal?  Most people learn that at home growing up.  They blame the lack of home ec classes?  Were they raised by wolves?

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 05:00:37 pm »
Where were their parents?  They really need someone to teach them how to fold a fitted sheet or cook a meal?  Most people learn that at home growing up.  They blame the lack of home ec classes?  Were they raised by wolves?

Isn't there an old saying something like "Spare the rod and you never have curtains hanging in your house"?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 05:15:12 pm »

How about fewer and fewer grow up in two parent homes. And the mother is earning a living.

So the children are raised by their peers, who like them lack adult role models. Teachers try but they too are not able to be "adult like" enough, for fear of breaking their liberal "educator" agendas.

They have toys, video games, skateboards, music etc. And of course hours and hours of mindless television which is 1/3 commercials.

The rod has long been spared, and the child is spoiled.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 05:27:49 pm »
How about fewer and fewer grow up in two parent homes. And the mother is earning a living.

So the children are raised by their peers, who like them lack adult role models. Teachers try but they too are not able to be "adult like" enough, for fear of breaking their liberal "educator" agendas.

They have toys, video games, skateboards, music etc. And of course hours and hours of mindless television which is 1/3 commercials.

The rod has long been spared, and the child is spoiled.

I think in the case of a single parent it isn't so much in the lack of training, but the lack of enforcement.