Author Topic: Has the Large Hadron Collider Disproved the Existence of Ghosts?  (Read 1632 times)

rangerrebew

Has the Large Hadron Collider Disproved the Existence of Ghosts?
« on: February 25, 2017, 11:46:15 am »
By Ross Pomeroy, RealClearScience | February 22, 2017 12:53pm ET

2618 2620 20 14 254 MORE

Partner Series
An illustration of the Large Hadron Collider, the world's largest particle accelerator, in Switzerland.
Credit: Daniel Dominguez; Maximilien Brice/CERN

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) might be the world's most incredible science experiment. A particle collider seventeen miles in circumference, it accelerates protons to velocities approaching the speed of light and slams them together. Enthralled scientists from all over the world watch the subatomic demolition derby and record what happens. Thus far, they've witnessed the creation of quark-gluon plasma (the densest matter outside of black holes), found key evidence against supersymmetry, and discovered the Higgs boson, a result which garnered the Nobel Prize in Physics.

Much of the general public probably isn't aware of these fascinating, yet unfortunately, esoteric discoveries at the LHC. Particle physics simply doesn't inspire as much interest as say, ghosts. At least four in ten Americans believe in ghosts, and it's likely that even fewer people are aware of the LHC. On that note, at least one physicist contends that the LHC has, in fact, disproved the existence of ghosts.

http://www.livescience.com/57973-has-large-hadron-collider-disproved-existence-of-ghosts.html
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 11:46:56 am by rangerrebew »

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Has the Large Hadron Collider Disproved the Existence of Ghosts?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 12:52:11 pm »
Interesting.

I'm going to ping @Quix on this one too.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 07:18:29 am »
Not just ghosts, but spirits.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 07:58:08 pm »
Not just ghosts, but spirits.
Now dang it I don't mind them getting rid of the ghosts, but dagnabit leave my likker be! 8888crybaby
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 07:59:10 pm by GtHawk »

Wingnut

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 08:07:10 pm »
Now dang it I don't mind them getting rid of the ghosts, but dagnabit leave my likker be! 8888crybaby

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 08:14:48 pm »
Not  buying it...

The particles that have been discovered by the Collider are bounded by our perceptions in our 3 dimensional universe even at the quantum level. I think the universe is multidimensional and spirits, ghosts, and even our souls exist in those other dimensions...

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 01:42:25 am »
"I would say if there's some kind of substance that's driving our bodies, making my arms move and legs move, then it must interact with the particles out of which our bodies are made. And seeing as we've made high precision measurements of the ways that particles interact, then my assertion is there can be no such thing as an energy source that's driving our bodies."

Tell me then, buddy boy.

What is dark energy? Use small words.

The nature of dark energy is more hypothetical than that of dark matter, and many things about the nature of dark energy remain matters of speculation.[14] Dark energy is thought to be very homogeneous, not very dense and is not known to interact through any of the fundamental forces other than gravity. Since it is quite rarefied — roughly 10−27 kg/m3 — it is unlikely to be detectable in laboratory experiments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_energy
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 12:37:20 pm »
"I would say if there's some kind of substance that's driving our bodies, making my arms move and legs move, then it must interact with the particles out of which our bodies are made. And seeing as we've made high precision measurements of the ways that particles interact, then my assertion is there can be no such thing as an energy source that's driving our bodies."

Tell me then, buddy boy.

What is dark energy? Use small words.

The nature of dark energy is more hypothetical than that of dark matter, and many things about the nature of dark energy remain matters of speculation.[14] Dark energy is thought to be very homogeneous, not very dense and is not known to interact through any of the fundamental forces other than gravity. Since it is quite rarefied — roughly 10−27 kg/m3 — it is unlikely to be detectable in laboratory experiments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_energy

The two are not so related that one cannot make the former claim without having proven the latter. 

More to the point, he does have a point, which makes it incumbent on those who believe in animating spirits to come forth with a theory that addresses his. 

Offline verga

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 07:15:22 pm »
Not  buying it...

The particles that have been discovered by the Collider are bounded by our perceptions in our 3 dimensional universe even at the quantum level. I think the universe is multidimensional and spirits, ghosts, and even our souls exist in those other dimensions...
@montanajoe Given that some physicists speculate 10, 11, or even 26 dimensions, sure why not.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 08:31:13 pm »
You can't prove that something doesn't exist.  You can only prove what is.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 12:07:30 am »
The two are not so related that one cannot make the former claim without having proven the latter. 

More to the point, he does have a point, which makes it incumbent on those who believe in animating spirits to come forth with a theory that addresses his.

How do they know what they are observing isn't only the result of their own entanglement with what they are observing?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 02:34:29 am »
How do they know what they are observing isn't only the result of their own entanglement with what they are observing?

How do you know it is?

Besides which, quantum entanglement doesn't generally work between macroscopic objects. 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 02:35:20 am by Oceander »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 02:51:06 am »
How do you know it is?

Besides which, quantum entanglement doesn't generally work between macroscopic objects.

What if I told you the universe is a collapsed  wave function?

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 02:55:44 am »
How do you know it is?

Perhaps you and I are a collapsed wave form and will return to that state when we stop observing--die.