Author Topic: South Dakota: Lawmaker: “Half of the abortions include the death of a girl, so it’s certainly not an attack against women."  (Read 1307 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Lawmaker: “Half of the abortions include the death of a girl, so it’s certainly not an attack against women."
Dana Ferguson , dferguson@argusleader.com Published 5:04 p.m. CT Feb. 14, 2017 | Updated 6:47 p.m. CT Feb. 14, 2017
PIERRE — An effort to increase the criminal charge for a doctor who performs abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy shouldn't be considered an attack on women, a South Dakota legislator said Tuesday, as it could protect female fetuses.

In speaking about the need to pass House Bill 1101, which would bump up the penalty for doctors that perform the procedures after that threshold from a Class 1 Misdemeanor to a Class 6 Felony, Rep. Steven Haugaard, R-Sioux Falls, said the measure aimed to shield women and girls.

“The fact is, half of the abortions include the death of a girl, so it’s certainly not an attack against women." he said.

Haugaard told Argus Leader Media that he brought the bill to bring the penalty for performing an abortion to further deter physicians from performing the procedures after 20 weeks of pregnancy.

Read More At: http://www.argusleader.com/story/blogs/danaferguson/2017/02/14/lawmaker-half-abortions-include-death-girl-so-s-certainly-not-attack-against-women/97912602/

I thought this was curious and Cosmopolitan, that magazine, actually cited this article.
http://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-love/a8948374/south-dakota-lawmaker-abortion/

Still, trying to get to the significance of this.

By the way, for folks who haven't been to South Dakota, that Capital is Pierre but it's pronounced "Peer" in SD. One of those local customs. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Pierre,_South_Dakota   

« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 01:49:22 am by TomSea »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Well, it's a statistical point well taken. Every "successful" abortion involves at least one death. 51% of the population are female. Statistically speaking, roughly half of those who die are female.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

Well, it's a statistical point well taken. Every "successful" abortion involves at least one death. 51% of the population are female. Statistically speaking, roughly half of those who die are female.

And a "safe abortion" is an oxymoron.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis