Author Topic: Despite the Hysteria, Trump Is Trending Less Authoritarian Than Obama  (Read 592 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Through personnel and policy, President Trump is limiting the executive branch. Lost in most of the coverage of President Trump’s decision to rescind the Obama administration’s transgender mandates is a fundamental legal reality — the Trump administration just relinquished federal authority over gender-identity policy in the nation’s federally funded schools and colleges. In other words, Trump was less authoritarian than Obama. And that’s not the only case.

Consider the following examples where his administration, through policy or personnel, appears to be signaling that the executive branch intends to become less intrusive in American life and more accountable to internal and external critique.

Trump nominated Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court, a man known not just for his intellect and integrity but also for his powerful legal argument against executive-branch overreach. Based on his previous legal writings, if Gorsuch had his way, the federal bureaucracy could well face the most dramatic check on its authority since the early days of the New Deal. By overturning judicial precedents that currently require judicial deference to agency legal interpretations, the Court could put a stop to the current practice of presidents and bureaucrats steadily (and vastly) expanding their powers by constantly broadening their interpretations of existing legal statutes.

For example, the EPA has dramatically expanded its control over the American economy even without Congress passing significant new environmental legislation. Instead, the EPA keeps revising its interpretation of decades-old statutes like the Clean Air Act, using those new interpretations to enact a host of comprehensive new regulations. If Gorsuch’s argument wins the day, the legislative branch would be forced to step up at the expense of the executive, no matter how “authoritarian” a president tried to be.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/445185/trump-less-authoritarian-obama
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 09:53:57 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Despite the Hysteria, Trump Is Trending Less Authoritarian Than Obama
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 01:56:13 pm »
Despite the Hysteria, Trump Is Trending Less Authoritarian Than Obama
National Review, Feb 23, 2017, David French

Lost in most of the coverage of President Trump’s decision to rescind the Obama administration’s transgender mandates is a fundamental legal reality — the Trump administration just relinquished federal authority over gender-identity policy in the nation’s federally funded schools and colleges. In other words, Trump was less authoritarian than Obama.

Indeed, if you peel back the layer of leftist critiques of Trump’s early actions and early hires, they contain a surprising amount of alarmism over the rollback of governmental power. Education activists are terrified that Betsy DeVos will take children out of government schools or roll back government mandates regarding campus sexual-assault tribunals.

Environmentalists are terrified that Scott Pruitt will make the EPA less activist. Civil-rights lawyers are alarmed at the notion that Jeff Sessions will inject the federal government into fewer state and local disputes over everything from school bathrooms to police traffic stops.

A president is “authoritarian” not when he’s angry or impulsive or incompetent or tweets too much. He’s authoritarian when he seeks to expand his own power beyond constitutional limits. In this regard, the Obama administration — though far more polite and restrained in most of its public comments — was truly one of our more authoritarian.

In this regard, the Obama administration — though far more polite and restrained in most of its public comments — was truly one of our more authoritarian. Obama exercised his so-called prosecutorial discretion not just to waive compliance with laws passed by Congress (think of his numerous unilateral delays and waivers of Obamacare deadlines) but also to create entirely new immigration programs such as DACA and DAPA.

He sought to roll back First Amendment protections for political speech (through his relentless attacks on Citizens United), tried to force nuns to facilitate access to birth control, and he even tried to inject federal agencies like the Equality Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) into the pastor-selection process, a move blocked by a unanimous Supreme Court. In foreign policy, he waged war without congressional approval and circumvented the Constitution’s treaty provisions to strike a dreadful and consequential deal with Iran.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/445185/

« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 02:25:15 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I posted this yesterday. Totally ignored and yet I'm accused of having an "agenda".

Just saying.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I posted this yesterday. Totally ignored and yet I'm accused of having an "agenda".   Just saying.

Frustrating, isn't it?  Maybe being Saturday will bring in more interested traffic.

(And, yes, I understand your point @Weird Tolkienish Figure .   :beer:)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Despite the Hysteria, Trump Is Trending Less Authoritarian Than Obama
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 03:29:53 pm »
It's been one month. Give it time.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 03:39:11 pm »
I also posted it yesterday - but hey, I'm a neverTrumper, right?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 04:56:34 pm »
It's been one month. Give it time.

Something weird is going on.

I wasted six months telling everyone how horrible Trump is but he got nominated and elected anyway.

Then he proceeded to surprise me very pleasantly by choosing an excellent cabinet and nominating a great candidate for the Supreme Court.

In fact ... personality issues aside ... I've liked almost all of everything he's done so far.

So now I'm defending Trump being attacked over petty issues mostly relating to his unique way of doing things.  Those things irritate but do not hurt the country.

Obama spent 8 years trying to turn the country into something odd and dangerous and Hillary was a worthy heir.  I'm thankful every day that she lost.  The dems have now lost what little minds they had left.

But now I am apparently a Trumpanzee, or a pet, or whatever pejorative I used to call Trump people.

Well, all righty then.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Frustrating, isn't it?  Maybe being Saturday will bring in more interested traffic.

(And, yes, I understand your point @Weird Tolkienish Figure .   :beer:)

This proves my theory that people do most of their messing around on the Net on work days.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.