Author Topic: White House blocks news organizations from press briefing  (Read 4247 times)

Offline r9etb

Re: White House blocks news organizations from press briefing
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2017, 10:21:24 pm »
You said "block the press". Since the only organization that was not included was CNN....

In other words, only CNN was "blocked"....  So it's only a little blocky-blocky.  No big deal.  The others surely won't learn from this about what they'll need to do if they're not to be blocked as well.

... you consider them the press. That means you would go to them for news. That means you are in support of their style of journalism to trust them with that duty. Feel free to be a fan of theirs, but I'll pass.....and so do most Americans considering CNN's ratings.

What an idiotic leap.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 10:24:48 pm by r9etb »

geronl

« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2017, 10:21:59 pm »
Speaking of gaggles. There is quite a gaggle here now, from the JVs, in the running to replace the late great deacon and his consistently anti-trump posts, 24/7 on a site named GOP with a Reagan picture.

obsession...

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2017, 10:25:22 pm »
CNN Is Considering Skipping White House Correspondents’ Dinner

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?topic=251028.new#new
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2017, 10:32:12 pm »
Well, no, it is a bit sinister.  Trump isn't just calling them out, he's taking vindictive action.  Stupidly, I might add -- to be specifically excluded by Trump is probably good for CNN's ratings.

I'd rather have a media that opposed the government all the time, than a media that was bullied into agreeing with it.

This isn't to let the current media off the hook -- they've helped to make this bed for themselves.

The problem is that Trump thinks he's special and the media is supposed to treat him differently. Its kind of funny because they think Mika Brzezinski exposed some great secret when she said the media controls what people think. It wasn't a secret a century ago when William Randolph Hearst said it.

These people aren't going to beat the media because they aren't smart enough to beat them. Thinking that we will ever eliminate bias in the media is utter stupidity because the media is biased by nature (its called human nature) and has been since the days of the town crier.

To truly have a positive impact on the media is going to require better journalism professors and better ethics training and it still won't eliminate bias nor should it.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2017, 10:35:12 pm »
No news agency has a right to be included at any press briefing. None. That's a simple fact that some people need to get through their heads.

On a somewhat separate issue, I find it reassuring that people want liberal outlets as their source of information and scream bloody murder to have their bias be included intentionally in 'news'. It reassures me that I have been correct that the political right is thoroughly infiltrated with leftism.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2017, 10:38:23 pm »
In other words, only CNN was "blocked"....  So it's only a little blocky-blocky.  No big deal.  The others surely won't learn from this about what they'll need to do if they're not to be blocked as well.
What an idiotic leap.
@r9etb

Yes, friend, it was CNN, New York Times, Los Angeles Times, Politico, and BuzzFeed, so more than CNN were banned.  He jumped before he knew the facts or didn't care about the facts as attacking was his goal to start with.  That is over now.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2017, 10:46:31 pm »
Well, no, it is a bit sinister.  Trump isn't just calling them out, he's taking vindictive action.  Stupidly, I might add -- to be specifically excluded by Trump is probably good for CNN's ratings.

I'd rather have a media that opposed the government all the time, than a media that was bullied into agreeing with it.

This isn't to let the current media off the hook -- they've helped to make this bed for themselves.

As you point out, the media is not an innocent victim in this power struggle. Both sides are getting their hits in.

I don't think you have to worry about having an opposition press. There has never been a press more opposed to an administration since the Civil War.

The only problem I see with leaving the press out of the loop is that it will make no difference. If the American media does not have access to real information, they have no problem at all just making up their own 'news'. They do it all the time.

If they are in the room, that should at least limit how much they can lie about what was said.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline endicom

« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2017, 10:52:18 pm »
No news agency has a right to be included at any press briefing. None. That's a simple fact that some people need to get through their heads.

No president is required to give press briefings. Press briefings were begun for political reasons and persist for political reasons.

geronl

« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2017, 10:53:18 pm »

In December, Spicer said barring media access is what a ‘dictatorship’ does. Today, he barred media access

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2017, 10:55:48 pm »
In December, Spicer said barring media access is what a ‘dictatorship’ does. Today, he barred media access

Yes or no...Did a press briefing occur with independent press present?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2017, 11:03:52 pm »
Yes or no...Did a press briefing occur with independent press present?

My understanding was this was a press "gaggle," not a full blown Presser.  A reporter I just saw on FBN said the composition of gaggles is random and selected a month in advance.  If this is true, then people all over the political spectrum are jumping on...wait for it...a fake story.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2017, 11:05:25 pm »

No president is required to give press briefings. Press briefings were begun for political reasons and persist for political reasons.

Exactly so. People have gotten used to presidents giving them but nowhere does there exist a requirement that they must occur.

Personally I'm fine with no press briefings at all because then the press would have to actually do their own legwork instead of regurgitating what the govt hands them as info.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 11:05:42 pm by Norm Lenhart »

Offline r9etb

« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2017, 11:05:53 pm »

In theory, and more or less in historical practice, it's a symbiotic relationship: the president gets to control his message by directly giving it to those who disseminate information; and the media get an inside view that allows them to claim a better perspective.  Good for ratings all around.

The Trump/Media antics are pretty much the opposite dynamic: one side attempts to build itself up by beating down the other.  The problem is that the media have much longer arms: in the long, or even medium run, it can't end well for Trump.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2017, 11:09:37 pm »
My understanding was this was a press "gaggle," not a full blown Presser.  A reporter I just saw on FBN said the composition of gaggles is random and selected a month in advance.  If this is true, then people all over the political spectrum are jumping on...wait for it...a fake story.

Ultimately it doesn't matter either way though. Press does not have any right to any of it. They have a right to report and speak freely. No one ever said they had to be given access of any sort.

Now if a president chooses not to give them access, he has to deal with the consequence of that action. However, he is not in any way required to give them squat.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2017, 11:10:00 pm »
The problem is that the media have much longer arms: in the long, or even medium run, it can't end well for Trump.

Hey, this isn't a setup for another "tiny hands" joke is it?  /s
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2017, 11:11:02 pm »
Hey, this isn't a setup for another "tiny hands" joke is it?  /s

Tiny hands aren't a problem if one wears waterproof shoes.  Or so I've heard.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2017, 11:11:36 pm »
Ultimately it doesn't matter either way though. Press does not have any right to any of it. They have a right to report and speak freely. No one ever said they had to be given access of any sort.

Now if a president chooses not to give them access, he has to deal with the consequence of that action. However, he is not in any way required to give them squat.

I'm not disagree with you, I'm just suggesting this idea being promulgated that Trump specifically excluded news orgs he doesn't like may be BS.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2017, 11:12:05 pm »

:pondering:
I will NOT comply.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2017, 11:12:39 pm »
In theory, and more or less in historical practice, it's a symbiotic relationship: the president gets to control his message by directly giving it to those who disseminate information; and the media get an inside view that allows them to claim a better perspective.  Good for ratings all around.

The Trump/Media antics are pretty much the opposite dynamic: one side attempts to build itself up by beating down the other.  The problem is that the media have much longer arms: in the long, or even medium run, it can't end well for Trump.

It can when the media's approval numbers are lower than even Congresses. And he was elected by those that hate the press of 2017. So ultimately, the only people complaining are the people that didn't like/want him anyway.

Offline endicom

« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2017, 11:13:11 pm »
The problem is that the media have much longer arms: in the long, or even medium run, it can't end well for Trump.

They may still have the reach but no longer the grip. And even the reach is debatable.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2017, 11:18:11 pm »

They may still have the reach but no longer the grip. And even the reach is debatable.
When I sat in a newsroom 10 years ago, it was filled with complaints of the internet outlets invading their turf.

10 years ago.

Today, most MSM news consists of reporting what 'Twitter' or ''Facebook' said. They have no reach or grip. they are left with table scraps and coast on the 'power' of their past glory.

Offline endicom

« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2017, 11:25:54 pm »
When I sat in a newsroom 10 years ago, it was filled with complaints of the internet outlets invading their turf.

10 years ago.

Today, most MSM news consists of reporting what 'Twitter' or ''Facebook' said. They have no reach or grip. they are left with table scraps and coast on the 'power' of their past glory.

Yeah, times change. From Ben Franklin and his Philadelphia printing press to William Randolph Hearst and the corporate, international news machine to our post-everything whatever. From horse messengers to the telegraph to radio to television to this spy-on-me device I'm typing on .

Wingnut

« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2017, 11:32:31 pm »

:pondering:

And the grey nug flies north for the winter.

I don't know what that means.  But it sounds cool!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2017, 11:34:32 pm »
And the grey nug flies north for the winter.

I don't know what that means.  But it sounds cool!

And here I thought, when I saw you had posted, I was in for some enlightenment.  Damn. :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2017, 11:36:16 pm »

10 years ago.

Frequently a story will consist of repeating the same basic thing, over and over three times.

And it likely came from some other source.  And it will have spelling and grammar mistakes.

They idea of verifying claimed facts with other independent sources, seems to be an old, outdated procedure.

The result is nobody has reason to trust CNN, more than trust National Enquirer. In fact less.

My going in assumption: Until proved otherwise, political news is biased propaganda.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln