Author Topic: Trump: FBI ‘totally unable’ to stop leaks  (Read 1106 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump: FBI ‘totally unable’ to stop leaks
« on: February 24, 2017, 01:09:55 pm »
Trump: FBI ‘totally unable’ to stop leaks
By Mark Hensch - 02/24/17 07:48 AM EST

President Trump on Friday ripped the FBI as "totally unable" to stop leaks within its own ranks, ordering the agency on Twitter to "FIND NOW" sources within the government who are speaking to the press.

more
http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/fbi/320954-trump-fbi-totally-unable-to-stop-leaks
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Trump: FBI ‘totally unable’ to stop leaks
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 01:13:14 pm »
Well, if there is going to be some semblance of national security, the leaky agencies need to stop being so leaky. Time to drop some 'juicy bits' here and there and see where they show up.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline rodamala

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 09:59:23 pm »
...ordering the agency on Twitter to...

If my boss used social media to "order" me to do anything, I would walk into his office, drop trou, and defecate on his desk as my resignation.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 10:13:51 pm »
President Trump on Friday ripped the FBI as "totally unable" to stop leaks within its own ranks, ordering the agency on Twitter to "FIND NOW" sources within the government who are speaking to the press.

I take issue with the idea that Trump's tweets were  "orders" -- that's overstating things a little.

Nevertheless, the idea of Trump tweeting things like this is .... it's hard to think of the right words. Reckless?  Stupid?  Irresponsible?  Childish?

Surely there's a better way than this, for a president to address issues within an agency of the Executive Branch?

geronl

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 10:18:56 pm »
When the FBI refused to try and control media reports on Trump ties to Russia, his attacking the FBI was guaranteed to happen.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 10:23:38 pm »
When the FBI refused to try and control media reports on Trump ties to Russia, his attacking the FBI was guaranteed to happen.

Wait.... the FBI should be trying to control media reports? 

geronl

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 10:36:09 pm »
Wait.... the FBI should be trying to control media reports?

FBI Refuses WH Request To Deny Trump Links To Russia
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,250885.0/topicseen.html

Offline r9etb

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 10:49:07 pm »
FBI Refuses WH Request To Deny Trump Links To Russia
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,250885.0/topicseen.html

Yeah, I'm aware of the issue.  I just wasn't aware that it was the FBI's job to issue press releases at the behest of the White House. 

It was a stupid thing for the WH to request in the first place.  Not that the FBI is immune to political pressure -- we've seen that it's not -- but the WH should not be putting them in that position. 

If the FBI does do it, it looks like they're conducting a CYA operation that calls into question the FBI's motives and objectivity as a law enforcement agency. 

If the FBI doesn't issue the press release, there are other ways of getting the information out -- probably better ways -- that don't make the whole agency look like Trump's trying to put it to political use.

I honestly don't understand what Trump thinks he's going to gain by these tweets.  Is he trying to motivate his base to hate the FBI or something?  Does he think this is going to embarrass them into knuckling under?

There are much better, more responsible ways to deal with the leaks.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 11:08:48 pm »
Yeah, I'm aware of the issue.  I just wasn't aware that it was the FBI's job to issue press releases at the behest of the White House. 

It was a stupid thing for the WH to request in the first place.  Not that the FBI is immune to political pressure -- we've seen that it's not -- but the WH should not be putting them in that position. 

If the FBI does do it, it looks like they're conducting a CYA operation that calls into question the FBI's motives and objectivity as a law enforcement agency. 

If the FBI doesn't issue the press release, there are other ways of getting the information out -- probably better ways -- that don't make the whole agency look like Trump's trying to put it to political use.

I honestly don't understand what Trump thinks he's going to gain by these tweets.  Is he trying to motivate his base to hate the FBI or something?  Does he think this is going to embarrass them into knuckling under?

There are much better, more responsible ways to deal with the leaks.

Obama did the same thing.

Comply with my demands or you will be at the mercy of the public.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 11:10:14 pm »
Obama did the same thing.

Comply with my demands or you will be at the mercy of the public.

"Obama did it, too," is not the best of excuses.....

geronl

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 11:17:17 pm »
Is he trying to motivate his base to hate the FBI or something?  Does he think this is going to embarrass them into knuckling under?

boycott those FBI products!  **nononono*

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 11:18:20 pm »
"Obama did it, too," is not the best of excuses.....

No its not but it seems to be the standard defense.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 11:46:11 pm »
Does Trump realize this makes him look bad?

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 11:56:47 pm »

I honestly don't understand what Trump thinks he's going to gain by these tweets.
Once one realizes he is using Twitter to bypass the media which will always filter his message, it is really pretty easy to understand.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 11:57:59 pm »
Once one realizes he is using Twitter to bypass the media which will always filter his message, it is really pretty easy to understand.

Why would he want to relay the message that he's an incompetent?

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2017, 07:33:35 am »
If my boss used social media to "order" me to do anything, I would walk into his office, drop trou, and defecate on his desk as my resignation.
If mine ever had, it would not have been done. Period. I don't partake of the gossip networks.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2017, 07:35:51 am »
No its not but it seems to be the standard defense.
Unfortunately, that discards any moral or procedural high ground. If they do something wrong, you can gripe about it up until you are doing it, too. While two wrongs don't make a right, they will establish a paradigm shift in 'acceptable' procedure.

C S Lewis