Author Topic: TRAPPIST-1: What is it?  (Read 4111 times)

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Re: TRAPPIST-1: What is it?
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2017, 02:20:00 am »
On the short lived SyFy channel show "Defiance" were the 7 races collectively called Votans. They came from a binary star system with both stars having multiple habitable planets.

My planet orbits a Red Dwarf in about 3 days but the dwarf orbits a sunlike star at about the distance of our asteroid belt. I've made a home there, its where I go to deal with my insomnia. I've got some pretty detailed thoughts on the place from years of pondering in the dark.

Off-topic, but "Defiance" was a great series, imho.
Let it burn.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2017, 02:24:13 am »
Off-topic, but "Defiance" was a great series, imho.

Datak cutting his own arm off was a holy crap moment.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2017, 02:39:03 am »
Datak cutting his own arm off was a holy crap moment.

Also a Crowning Moment of Awesome!  :laugh:
Let it burn.

geronl

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2017, 02:47:49 am »
On the short lived SyFy channel show "Defiance" were the 7 races collectively called Votans. They came from a binary star system with both stars having multiple habitable planets.

My planet orbits a Red Dwarf in about 3 days but the dwarf orbits a sunlike star at about the distance of our asteroid belt. I've made a home there, its where I go to deal with my insomnia. I've got some pretty detailed thoughts on the place from years of pondering in the dark.

If there are "people" on these worlds we should call them  Monks. You know... Trappist Monks.

Maybe you write that story, "Solace of a Red Dwarf."

Oceander

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2017, 04:51:12 am »
If there are "people" on these worlds we should call them  Monks. You know... Trappist Monks.

:thumbsup:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2017, 09:52:06 am »
Can you imagine having a 9-day year and that every few "years" the length might change more or less by an hour? You would never have developed a normal clock or calendar for sure.
Yeah. You'd be 1217 years old there when you turned 30 here.

"Never trust anyone under 1217" just doesn't have the same ring to it...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

geronl

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2017, 11:17:22 am »
Yeah. You'd be 1217 years old there when you turned 30 here.

"Never trust anyone under 1217" just doesn't have the same ring to it...

lol

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2017, 11:54:34 am »

My planet already has Tibetan Monks. They abandoned their dispute with China in return for complete freedom on my planet. They inhabit a high mountain region where they have complete autonomy and maintain and oversee an enormous hydroelectric project and lease out mining rights to the rest of us.

Their monastery is perched atop a peak that overlooks the huge mountain lake and vast ocean beyond that. The red sun hangs perpetually above the horizon and every 36 hours the more distant yellow sun rises and begins its 36 hour trip to the opposite horizon