Author Topic: TRAPPIST-1: What is it?  (Read 4119 times)

Offline Suppressed

TRAPPIST-1: What is it?
« on: February 23, 2017, 04:25:14 pm »

(I hope I didn't miss any frames!)
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline r9etb

Re: TRAPPIST-1: What is it?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 04:44:36 pm »
Pretty nifty cartoon.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 04:52:28 pm »
I think these tiny star systems are cool anyway. They aren't much bigger than the Saturn or Jupiter plus moons.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 04:59:24 pm »
TRAPPIST system with likely habitable zone in green.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 05:23:53 pm »
Interesting illustration. Looking forward to hearing more about these discoveries in the future.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 07:05:37 pm »
Thank you @Suppressed

Have you seen the google doodle? :seeya:
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 07:20:14 pm »
I'm putting this here , but maybe it should be it's own post.

Today's Astronomy picture of the day is Trappist 1.

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap170223.html

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 07:49:31 pm »
Thank you @Suppressed

Have you seen the google doodle? :seeya:

You're welcome, @Freya.  No, I hadn't seen it.  Thanks for the tip...it make me COL (chuckle out loud)!   :laugh:
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 07:52:10 pm »
I'm putting this here , but maybe it should be it's own post.

Today's Astronomy picture of the day is Trappist 1.

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap170223.html

Beautiful.

I sometimes ponder what it would have been like for our ancestors if the earth was forever overcast, and they couldn't see the stars to excite their imaginations.  And I'm so grateful we now have these means to answer some of the questions, and spur even more ambitious imaginings.

[/goofy ramblings]
+++++++++

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 07:53:11 pm »
You're welcome, @Freya.  No, I hadn't seen it.  Thanks for the tip...it make me COL (chuckle out loud)!   :laugh:

Anytime. @Suppressed

I didn't know you were a fan of astronomy.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 07:55:40 pm »
Beautiful.

I sometimes ponder what it would have been like for our ancestors if the earth was forever overcast, and they couldn't see the stars to excite their imaginations.  And I'm so grateful we now have these means to answer some of the questions, and spur even more ambitious imaginings.

[/goofy ramblings]

I know our ancestors freaked out during eclipses. I'm saving my pennies to get to South Carolina this August to see the eclipse. 

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 07:56:50 pm »
Anytime. @Suppressed

I didn't know you were a fan of astronomy.

Definitely!

My dad was a professor, and would let me wait in the back for all of his students to use the telescopes...and then I got to look!  Some of my fondest memories.

I'm not very good at it, but I do enjoy it.  ^-^
+++++++++

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 08:00:27 pm »
I know our ancestors freaked out during eclipses. I'm saving my pennies to get to South Carolina this August to see the eclipse.

Oooh... I'm envious!

Do you have a telescope?  Are you able to get to an observatory at times?
+++++++++

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 08:02:22 pm »
Beautiful.

[/goofy ramblings]

The Edgar Rice Burroughs Venus series discussed that quite a bit and used it as an excuse for the distorted "Amtorian" view of their home planet.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 08:25:55 pm »
Beautiful.

[/goofy ramblings]

Forever overcast? We wouldn't have ancestors in that case. :)

Plants don't grow without sun.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2017, 08:36:21 pm »
Beautiful.

[/goofy ramblings]

Interesting question - I'll add my ramblings:  I had a little Cairn Terrier who died a couple of years ago.  I also had the Pyrenees/Border Collie who, like his Pyrenees ancestors goes DEFCON 4 whenever a large bird, buzzards in our case, fly overhead.  In the Pyrenees they have eagles that tend to carry off the lambs and kids the dogs are supposed to guard, and being politically correct dogs, they don't discriminate when it comes to buzzards and dutifully chase them off too.  The little Cairn never paid attention to the birds and I finally realized that she didn't pay attention to anything that was much taller than she was - which wasn't very tall.  I think that being a ground-prey dog, she wasn't interested in anything "up there".  She was only interested in ground-level stuff. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 08:36:51 pm by Sanguine »

geronl

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2017, 10:06:39 pm »
We know there are 7 non-giant worlds orbiting the star.

That is all we know. This could be earth-like, have water or anything else is all conjecture and wishful thinking

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2017, 10:07:27 pm »
A few of them look vaguely earthlike no?

Offline r9etb

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2017, 10:15:52 pm »
We know there are 7 non-giant worlds orbiting the star.

That is all we know. This could be earth-like, have water or anything else is all conjecture and wishful thinking

Not entirely.  For example, we know how far they are from the star, and distance is related to temperature, so knowing the star's output one can compute whether or not a planet is within the "Golidlocks zone".

Further, the size of the planet itself can be determined from the intensity drop-off during transit; and in this special case, the presence of multiple planets in close proximity allows estimates of each planet's mass -- and thus one can infer its density and hence its general composition: gaseous or solid.

Finally, it's already possible in some cases to characterize the composition of planetary atmospheres; that it's not been announced for these may be due to the fact that it just hasn't been done yet; or they'll have to wait until better technology comes along.

geronl

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2017, 10:23:24 pm »
Can you imagine having a 9-day year and that every few "years" the length might change more or less by an hour? You would never have developed a normal clock or calendar for sure.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 10:24:21 pm »
Can you imagine having a 9-day year and that every few "years" the length might change more or less by an hour? You would never have developed a normal clock or calendar for sure.
I'll just leave my watch on earth time. By the time we get there we might be using stardates anyways.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 10:26:07 pm by Idaho_Cowboy »
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2017, 10:46:24 pm »
Not entirely.  For example, we know how far they are from the star, and distance is related to temperature, so knowing the star's output one can compute whether or not a planet is within the "Golidlocks zone".

Further, the size of the planet itself can be determined from the intensity drop-off during transit; and in this special case, the presence of multiple planets in close proximity allows estimates of each planet's mass -- and thus one can infer its density and hence its general composition: gaseous or solid.

Finally, it's already possible in some cases to characterize the composition of planetary atmospheres; that it's not been announced for these may be due to the fact that it just hasn't been done yet; or they'll have to wait until better technology comes along.

Its new science so anything is possible. We're still finding out things about our own solar system we believed were impossible. Venus has almost no magnetosphere yet has an atmosphere nearly 100 times denser than the earth. It also rotates in the opposite direction of its orbit when it should be rotating slowly in the same direction.

There are an infinite number of variables that can affect planets around TRAPPIST1. A planet could be tidally locked yet have a deep planet wide ocean like earth that would transport enough heat to the nightside for life.

geronl

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2017, 12:01:39 am »
Imagining that all 3 "goldlilocks" planets were Earth-like and so close together would make a great basis for a science fiction story, but I'd want to call it something besides TRAPPIST-1

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2017, 12:28:11 am »
Imagining that all 3 "goldlilocks" planets were Earth-like and so close together would make a great basis for a science fiction story, but I'd want to call it something besides TRAPPIST-1

On the short lived SyFy channel show "Defiance" were the 7 races collectively called Votans. They came from a binary star system with both stars having multiple habitable planets.

My planet orbits a Red Dwarf in about 3 days but the dwarf orbits a sunlike star at about the distance of our asteroid belt. I've made a home there, its where I go to deal with my insomnia. I've got some pretty detailed thoughts on the place from years of pondering in the dark.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2017, 12:54:31 am »
If you treat the 1 as another I this is all an anagram for "It is a Trapp"  888blackhat
This is just a cover story for the real proof the Death Star is operational and headed this way the extra p indicates there may be singing involved.
There are 3 sides to a triangle and thus proof that the illuminati is also involved.