Author Topic: When Even Churches Refuse to Obey the Law  (Read 703 times)

rangerrebew

When Even Churches Refuse to Obey the Law
« on: February 23, 2017, 02:40:55 pm »

Posted by Matt O'Brien | Feb 22, 2017 | Asylum & Refugees, Immigration Blog Posts, Law & Justice | 0 |

This week, the Boston Globe published an article titled “Congregations in Mass. Preparing to Shelter Immigrants.” It describes efforts by local churches and synagogues to frustrate Trump administration efforts to enforce immigration law. According to a member of a prominent synagogue quoted in the story: “’We’re going to do what we do in a way that really has a chance of making it a public moral issue that cannot be dismissed…. Religious institutions are in a good position to do that.’”

It’s not surprising that houses of worship would wish to provide assistance to the newly arrived. The Judeo-Christian tradition places great significance on charity. However, the title of the Globe’s piece is misleading. “Immigrant” is a legal term, defined in statute. It refers to a foreign national coming to the United States with the intention, and legal authorization, to reside here permanently.

http://immigrationreform.com/2017/02/22/when-even-churches-refuse-to-obey-the-law/
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 02:41:37 pm by rangerrebew »

Online mountaineer

Re: When Even Churches Refuse to Obey the Law
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 04:51:34 pm »
Here's an excerpt of a thoughtful analysis of "A Pastoral Perspective on Illegal Immigration" from 2015, published at The Cripplegate.com:
... We do not agree with those who want the evangelical church to take a political stand on illegal immigration. While we affirm the right of each American citizen to vote according to his or her conscience, we believe it is an unnecessary distraction (away from the gospel) for churches to advocate political activism on issues like this. Those who oppose illegal immigration run the risk of viewing illegal immigrants as enemies, rather than as a mission field (cf. Matt. 9:36). On the flip side, those who advocate increased immigrant rights must be careful not to promote attitudes of insubordination or contempt toward the government (1 Tim. 2:1–4; cf. Rom. 13:1–7).

In both cases, the mission of the church becomes blurred when political issues overshadow biblical preaching and gospel-centered ministry. Evangelicals must take special care to remember that we are first citizens of heaven before we are citizens of earth (John 18:36; Php. 3:20; cf. Heb. 11:9–10). Biblical Christianity is not defined by political agendas, but rather by the truth of the gospel (1 Cor. 2:2; cf. Gal. 2:20). ...
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline r9etb

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 05:47:33 pm »
... We do not agree with those who want the evangelical church to take a political stand on illegal immigration. While we affirm the right of each American citizen to vote according to his or her conscience, we believe it is an unnecessary distraction (away from the gospel) for churches to advocate political activism on issues like this.

Um.... Leaving aside this particular issue, I think this is the sort of position the pharisees would have taken.

A church should be looking at matters of right and wrong, regardless of the politics of the issue.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 05:50:29 pm »
I think if you read the entire piece, you'll see that the writer believes that engaging in an illegal act - immigration or otherwise - is wrong, and it's a sin to be repented of.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 06:00:08 pm »
I think if you read the entire piece, you'll see that the writer believes that engaging in an illegal act - immigration or otherwise - is wrong, and it's a sin to be repented of.

Well, it's a law-abiding stance, and a comfortable and convenient one, too.  But as a general principle is it a Christian position?

To take an extreme example (I should hope it's extreme, here and now) .... there was a time not a century ago when it was illegal in some places to harbor Jews.  Should a church have avoided taking a contrary stand on the matter?

Or, perhaps more relevant today, would a Christian church be sinning if it took in and protected an Iranian Christian, here illegally, who was subject to deportation back to a place like Iran?

It's not something that a Christian church ought to take lightly, nor should it be a first resort.  But a Christian church should never use the law as an excuse to avoid doing what's right.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 06:08:42 pm »
I guess it depends on whether one considers a particular law immoral. If so, then complying with it also is immoral. Would I lie to the Gestapo about harboring Jews in the attic? I hope so.

Personally, I don't see the nation's immigration laws as a moral issue, but encouraging or assisting another to disobey them might be.

I agree, it's not an easy choice. That's why we pray for guidance.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 06:24:59 pm »
I guess it depends on whether one considers a particular law immoral. If so, then complying with it also is immoral. Would I lie to the Gestapo about harboring Jews in the attic? I hope so.

Personally, I don't see the nation's immigration laws as a moral issue, but encouraging or assisting another to disobey them might be.

Well..... I suppose it kind of depends on what the laws are, and how they're being applied. 

I agree, it's not an easy choice. That's why we pray for guidance.

Right.  But that's also why I disagree with the premise of the article you cited, and also with the premise of the original post.

The whole basis of Jesus' conflict with the Pharisees was his practice of distinguishing between the letter of the Law, and what God would have us do.