Author Topic: Astronomers find 7 Earth-size planets where life is possible  (Read 3511 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: Astronomers find 7 Earth-size planets where life is possible
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2017, 02:38:21 pm »
With a diameter 5 times the length of Clark's Rama, could be interesting.  Wiki says it's theorized to be the exposed metallic core of a proto-planet.

If you are going to mine an asteroid t may a well be that one.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2017, 07:51:23 pm »

Perhaps even more likely is mining out and spinning a bigger asteroid with sufficient metalic content for shielding.

That could be ideal.. The Asteroids could be a good Colony Ships.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2017, 08:07:21 pm »

A fleet of them would be the way to go. Smaller asteroids of 10 and 20 mile diameters may largely consist of loose rubble but they can be structurally strengthened and may be even easier to make habitable spaces inside them.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2017, 12:14:00 am »

A very interesting idea.

[Note, this post is pure conjecture, as I know nothing about the orbits of asteroids.  My apologies to any astronomers injured by reading my post.]

They already have a whole bunch of mass that could be used as structure and (I assume) radiation shielding, and that mass already has momentum.  That's a whole lot of mass/fuel we don't have to battle gravity for, or find in space.

I doubt they would be of much use for taking us where we want to go, but they could be wonderful tools for learning about long term, high population, space travel.  Probably want to throw in a bunch of sensors to map part of the system for "free" at the same time.

If we got really lucky, maybe we could exploit their momentum and gravity to use them as tug boats for bulk shipping supplies to in system colonies.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2017, 01:03:13 am »
A fleet of them would be the way to go. Smaller asteroids of 10 and 20 mile diameters may largely consist of loose rubble but they can be structurally strengthened and may be even easier to make habitable spaces inside them.

Might have to restructure it a bit like anthill mining so when you spin it to induce some gravity effect it isn't all wavy gravy.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2017, 01:22:36 am »
Might have to restructure it a bit like anthill mining so when you spin it to induce some gravity effect it isn't all wavy gravy.

Build a skeletal structure in and around it for stability

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2017, 01:27:55 am »
Build a skeletal structure in and around it for stability

Sounds like fun. Someone needs to tell Trump.