Author Topic: Philadelphia Soda Tax Leads To 30-50% Plunge In Sales, Mass Layoffs  (Read 4334 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Philadelphia Soda Tax Leads To 30-50% Plunge In Sales, Mass Layoffs
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2017, 05:53:40 pm »
The entire state of California will likely adapt this same tactic.

Nobody is loonier than Governor Moonbeam
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2017, 06:09:57 pm »
I agree with the last point.  They have probably single handedly created a black market for sodas.

Who would have thought that that could happen?

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2017, 06:23:11 pm »
Who would have thought that that could happen?

The same folks who created the black market for cigarettes by taxing them to insane levels.....

Wingnut

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2017, 06:27:00 pm »
I agree with the last point.  They have probably single handedly created a black market for sodas.

Psssst Hey Kid...over here.  You wanna buy some soda?

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2017, 07:00:25 pm »
I wonder how this will affect the fast food industry.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline thackney

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2017, 07:09:43 pm »
I wonder how this will affect the fast food industry.

1.5 cents per ounce changes their total charges for a meal a far lower percentage.  It is still passed on, but won't be noticed as much.

https://billypenn.com/2017/01/07/philly-restaurant-owners-on-the-soda-tax-thank-god-its-not-on-meat/
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2017, 02:36:09 am »
The bright side - it now makes more sense then ever to drink beer. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2017, 04:41:09 pm »
The bright side - it now makes more sense then ever to drink beer.
And there's evidence it's healthier. At least in moderation.  :beer:
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2017, 08:07:38 pm »
And there's evidence it's healthier. At least in moderation.  :beer:

Moderation is for monks......

Offline LMAO

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2017, 06:58:37 pm »
This tax, and the mayor's reaction to the layoffs, is a perfect exhibit of progressive economic policies. They look at one side of an equation. These people on the city council raised soda taxes and believed it would result in a windfall of money. But, there is a saying that goes if you want less of something, tax it. If you want more of something, subsidize it. They had no understanding how people adjust to the resulting higher prices. It isn't just soda. Progressives create market distortions and then become indignant of the results. They need something to blame for the failure of their policies and the company that is laying off workers as a result of the tax becomes a target
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline LMAO

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2017, 07:02:22 pm »
What a fool. Like most Liberals, he is unable to comprehend simple economics. It is not their fault that you decided to tax them into bankruptcy.

If they pass the tax on, they sell less products. If they sell less products then their bonuses are smaller. Idiot.

So this whiney crybaby screed about 'it's not my fault' is pure bullshit. It is your fault. You own it. Now be a man and own up to what you supposedly believe in.

@240B

I think the mayor knows what he's doing. Sure, like all progressives, he's ignorant on basic economics. But going after the company for layoffs that have resulted from his tax gives him the perfect scapegoat.

Let's be honest. Do you believe basic economics is an understandable concept among the citizens in Philadelphia?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 07:03:16 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2017, 01:09:27 am »
Since the "soda tax" ain't workin' as planned, they'll have to try another approach.

Watch 'em slap high taxes on beef, pork and ham next!

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2017, 04:23:12 pm »
There are other options to consider for the subjects in Philly.

Sports Drinks Are Now More Expensive than Beer Thanks to the Philadelphia Soda Tax
https://taxfoundation.org/sports-drinks-are-now-more-expensive-beer-thanks-philadelphia-soda-tax/

LOL, nothing new. When I was stationed in Germany, it was cheaper to drink two litres of beer than it was to buy a 6 oz glass of Coke (without ice) at restaurants. Probably wasn't due to taxes, but I usually drank beer, of course.

And we're not talking Bud Light, either! 
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2017, 04:31:21 pm »
There are other options to consider for the subjects in Philly.

Sports Drinks Are Now More Expensive than Beer Thanks to the Philadelphia Soda Tax
https://taxfoundation.org/sports-drinks-are-now-more-expensive-beer-thanks-philadelphia-soda-tax/
I was going to say, the seven course meal (tato chips and a six pack of coke) will just be chips and a six pack. (or maybe a couple of 40s...)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2017, 04:47:08 pm »
:bigsilly:

I'll bet surrounding towns are, collectively, showing a comparable upturn in sales.
Yeah. Running 'Kickapoo Joy Juice' could be a moneymaker again!  :silly:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2017, 07:21:04 pm »
@Oceander

This is the free market working.  Put a high tax on something and people won't buy it.  They will find a substitute, and/or, as you say, when they go outside the tax district, they will buy it there.

Case in point: John Kerry and his yacht purchase:

John Kerry registers his new yacht in Rhode Island to avoid $500,000 in Massachusetts taxes

John Kerry recently purchased a new yacht for $7 million and is berthing this new vessel in Rhode Island to avoid paying $500,000 in taxes to the state of Massachusetts

https://americaswatchtower.com/2010/07/23/john-kerry-registers-his-new-yacht-in-rhode-island-to-avoid-500000-in-massachusetts-taxes/
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2017, 02:32:16 pm »
Case in point: John Kerry and his yacht purchase:

https://americaswatchtower.com/2010/07/23/john-kerry-registers-his-new-yacht-in-rhode-island-to-avoid-500000-in-massachusetts-taxes/
Hard to believe the people of Massachusetts were happy with their Senator stealing half a million from the treasury.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2017, 02:43:29 pm »
Hard to believe the people of Massachusetts were happy with their Senator stealing half a million from the treasury.

They were not happy.  And after getting caught, he coughed up the payment.

Kerry Agrees to Pay Massachusetts Tax on Yacht Docked in Rhode Island
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/07/27/kerry-agrees-pay-massachusetts-tax-yacht-docked-rhode-island.html

...Massachusetts officials said Kerry was within his rights to base the vessel in Rhode Island, despite owning homes in Nantucket and Boston, but they also said he would be liable for taxes if he brought the yacht to Massachusetts within six months of taking ownership.

Subsequent news accounts placed the Isabel in Nantucket over the Fourth of July weekend and on Martha's Vineyard more recently....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2017, 03:09:23 pm »
They were not happy.  And after getting caught, he coughed up the payment.

Kerry Agrees to Pay Massachusetts Tax on Yacht Docked in Rhode Island
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/07/27/kerry-agrees-pay-massachusetts-tax-yacht-docked-rhode-island.html

...Massachusetts officials said Kerry was within his rights to base the vessel in Rhode Island, despite owning homes in Nantucket and Boston, but they also said he would be liable for taxes if he brought the yacht to Massachusetts within six months of taking ownership.

Subsequent news accounts placed the Isabel in Nantucket over the Fourth of July weekend and on Martha's Vineyard more recently....

Replace "John Kerry" with "Donald Trump", and one can imagine the reaction... :silly: