Author Topic: Huge seed deposit made to the Doomsday Vault in the Arctic Circle  (Read 1071 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The Doomsday Vault in the Arctic Circle has just received a huge deposit of almost 50,000 seed samples from collections around the globe. Seeds from Benin, India, Pakistan, Lebanon, Morocco, the Netherlands, the U.S, Mexico, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Belarus and the UK were sent to the Svalbard Global Seed Vault for long-term safekeeping.

The Svalbard Seed Vault in Norway is the world's biggest collection of agricultural biodiversity and, following the latest deposit, now contains over 930,821 samples. The preparation and shipment of the seeds was partially funded by Crop Trust, which organises and manages the global system of seed collections.

Marie Haga, executive director of the Crop Trust, said: "Today's seed deposit at Svalbard supported by The Crop Trust shows that despite political and economic differences in other arenas, collective efforts to conserve crop diversity and produce a global food supply for tomorrow continue to be strong.

"Together, the nations that have deposited their seed collections account for over a quarter of the world's population.

"Nearly every country has agreed on the importance of conserving crop diversity through Target 2.5 of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals to conserve agricultural diversity in seed collections. Crop diversity is a fundamental foundation for the end of hunger."

The vault, also known as the Doomsday Vault, was opened in 2008 after two years of construction. It is a secure facility designed to house seeds in a bid to protect against biodiversity loss resulting from global crises – be it climate change, a natural disaster or war.

More: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/arctic-circles-doomsday-vault-gets-huge-seed-deposit-1607965

Anxiously waiting for the flurry of "We're all gonna die" articles from the yellow press.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 03:18:36 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Joe Wooten

Re: Huge seed deposit made to the Doomsday Vault in the Arctic Circle
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 04:25:31 pm »
One thing I've always been curious about is how in the hell are the survivors of some planetary-wide disaster going to get to this vault and then open it if they do not have the civilization to build ships to get there and retained enough knowledge to remember the vault was there for their use?

Wingnut

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 04:44:09 pm »
Couple of nights ago the TV show Scorpion (Dirty Seeds, Done Dirt Cheap) had a storyline centered at the
the world’s seed trust which is malfunctioning. Scorpion needs to leave immediately to Greenland to deal with what could turn into a catastrophe. They arrive to a facility with no power while a blizzard rages outside. They pry open the doors to darkness.
I thought it was some hollywood made-up place.   Guess I was wrong.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 07:02:00 pm »
One thing I've always been curious about is how in the hell are the survivors of some planetary-wide disaster going to get to this vault and then open it if they do not have the civilization to build ships to get there and retained enough knowledge to remember the vault was there for their use?

Not only that, but you can't hardly grow jack that high up above the Arctic circle, so they're going to have to go get it somehow and then trek back to somehere where they can be raised and harvested.
The Republic is lost.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 01:35:10 am »

The reality is it is contingency for much smaller tragedies.  It was recently used to recover some ancient grains destroyed in the Syrian civil war.
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/09/23/442858657/syrian-civil-war-prompts-first-withdrawal-from-doomsday-seed-vault-in-the-arctic

One of those cases where they over-engineer for the worst case scenario so the smaller events are easy to deal with.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 01:38:53 am »
Whereas I was thinking the headline meant they had deposited a huge seed:

Wingnut

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 01:54:46 am »

I'd Tap That
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 02:10:29 am by Wingnut »

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 02:05:57 am »

What the heck is that?

Wingnut

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 02:11:30 am »
What the heck is that?

Brazilian Nuts

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 02:13:59 am »
I'd Tap That

I thought you were Mr Moral?

@Wingnut

Wingnut

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 02:25:52 am »
I thought you were Mr Moral?

You need to find some peace in your life.  Cuz you ain't gonna find it trying to climb up my ass cowboy.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 03:34:13 am »
What the heck is that?

Coco de Mer palm seed.  But it looks.... alarming.