Author Topic: The Trump-Reagan parallels  (Read 5194 times)

Oceander

Re: The Trump-Reagan parallels
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2017, 05:51:34 pm »
Yeah, but Donny is President and your man is sitting in his on his lazy ass in his mom's basement running a ponzi scheme.

/snicker

Two points:

(A) that ain't "my man" so your slurs are simply specious.

(B) then why aren't the Trump lovers content with letting Trump be his own president, instead of building false analogies to try and turn him into something he isn't?

In point of fact, I doubt if Reagan would do as well now as he did when he was president because times have changed, sometimes in drastic ways.  So the comparison is not only specious, not only trivializes Trump, but also runs the risk of categorizing Trump in a way that would make him less of a president, not more. 

But, bottom line is this:  the constant need to make false comparisons to Reagan simply demonstrates the fact that even Trumps most devout worshippers know he's got serious flaws that they cannot simply wish away. 

Offline r9etb

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2017, 05:51:59 pm »
Most of you sound too young to have actually lived as adults during Reagan's Governor terms, when he took on rioting students, in terms you would deem brutish and not delicate and nice, like you want Trump to be.

Ironic, you telling us about "living as adults."

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2017, 06:10:36 pm »
While some of Trump's policy choices today would no-doubt align with Reagans, they are choices of convenience rather than principle (IMHO) - what he thought would get him elected.

I'd like to introduce you to Donald Trump @Scutter ... you're apparently unaware of the principles that have driven our President for the past 37 years:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=305-erOr3jk

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2017, 06:14:10 pm »
Oh. My. God.

Does this graphic really purport to favorably compare the communication styles of Reagan and Trump? Seriously?

Oh. My. God.  @bolobaby   

Did you really miss the full meaning of the graphic?  Seriously?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2017, 06:20:34 pm »

(B) then why aren't the Trump lovers content with letting Trump be his own president, instead of building false analogies to try and turn him into something he isn't?

I believe I already made that point in an above post where I cited Donny, Reagan and Coolidge and men of their time.

BTW, McMuffin symbolizes to me all the fail of the #NeverTrump movement. He may not have been your particular vote this year but he sure is the embodiment of it......unless you were a Shrill Stein voter. In that case carry on.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2017, 06:21:32 pm »
Oh. My. God.  @bolobaby   

Did you really miss the full meaning of the graphic?  Seriously?

And did you really miss out on the fact that the really important comparisons are missing?  Seriously?

Offline r9etb

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2017, 06:22:34 pm »
He may not have been your particular vote this year but he sure is the embodiment of it......unless you were a Shrill Stein voter. In that case carry on.

He's maybe your embodiment of it, but that's you building strawmen.

Oceander

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2017, 06:24:50 pm »
I believe I already made that point in an above post where I cited Donny, Reagan and Coolidge and men of their time.

BTW, McMuffin symbolizes to me all the fail of the #NeverTrump movement. He may not have been your particular vote this year but he sure is the embodiment of it......unless you were a Shrill Stein voter. In that case carry on.

/snicker

« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 06:34:09 pm by mystery-ak »

Offline thackney

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2017, 06:25:35 pm »
Reagan was a paragon of integrity. A man who insisted on always wearing a suit and tie when in the Oval Office, because he didn't want to disrespect the office.

Reagan was a great man and showed immense respect for the office of president.  But the "always suit and tie in the Oval Office" is a myth.

Usually yes, always no.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2017, 06:45:20 pm »
And did you really miss out on the fact that the really important comparisons are missing?  Seriously?

@r9etb

Yes, of course she did. She's been in the bag for Trump since day one and doesn't bother with anything akin to logic or facts.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2017, 06:48:43 pm »

Nope... I didn't miss a thing.   But the list is rather incomplete @r9etb.   I would have added additional parallels between President Trump and President Reagan:

* Patriots who unabashedly love their country
* Peace through strength
* Lower taxes
* The respect, trust and support of America's backbone--the working class
* There is nothing America cannot accomplish
* The right man for his times
* Make America Great Again

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2017, 06:49:27 pm »
They had dementia in common.  Reagan at the end of his two terms.   Trump entered the office with the disease.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2017, 06:51:45 pm »
I like Reagan, but amnesty, Iran-Contra, it was not a perfect presidency either.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2017, 06:52:00 pm »
Ironic, you telling us about "living as adults."
Speaking as someone who remembers when Harry Truman assumed the presidency on the death of FDR, I hope you will reserve your lecture for other venues.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2017, 06:52:49 pm »
They had dementia in common.  Reagan at the end of his two terms.   Trump entered the office with the disease.

Oh, that stings.

:laughingdog:

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2017, 06:56:57 pm »
I like Reagan, but amnesty, Iran-Contra, it was not a perfect presidency either.

Doubling the national debt .....

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2017, 06:58:04 pm »

:thumbsup:

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2017, 07:01:21 pm »
@r9etb

Yes, of course she did. She's been in the bag for Trump since day one and doesn't bother with anything akin to logic or facts.

Interesting @bolobaby  ... I wonder why you're afraid to take your tired, worn out blather directly to me.   :pondering:

geronl

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2017, 07:03:57 pm »
Trump is Bobo the monkey compared to Reagan

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2017, 07:05:09 pm »
Which pea-brained-offspring-of-first-cousins brought evan mcmuffin into the conversation?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2017, 07:08:31 pm »
/snicker

Trump lovers cannot accept their God's clay feet, so they have to build specious comparisons to assuage their feelings of inferiority.

Nailed it in a pithy reply.

We're dealing with night and day here.  The only similarity between the two is that they both became President.

Any of the ridiculous comparisons given are wishful thinking and insecurity.

(But the communication parallel was a good laugh, wasn't it?  Yikes!)
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2017, 07:09:29 pm »

Well played, @Rivergirl !  WELL played!  :silly:

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2017, 07:16:23 pm »
Next we will be reading about the articulate parallels of Trump to George Washington, Trump to Abraham Lincoln, Trump to Moses and Trump to Jesus Christ that all American cults of personality make of their political messiah.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline r9etb

« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2017, 07:29:20 pm »
Speaking as someone who remembers when Harry Truman assumed the presidency on the death of FDR, I hope you will reserve your lecture for other venues.

I wasn't speaking of his age....

Offline musiclady

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2017, 07:36:54 pm »
Next we will be reading about the articulate parallels of Trump to George Washington, Trump to Abraham Lincoln, Trump to Moses and Trump to Jesus Christ that all American cults of personality make of their political messiah.

Actually, we've already seen absurd parallels with those, and more (including Churchill  :silly:).

This has been full blown for quite some time.