Author Topic: What causes a hangover?  (Read 989 times)

rangerrebew

What causes a hangover?
« on: February 21, 2017, 12:03:02 pm »
What causes a hangover?

Download PDF Copy

By Sally Robertson, BSc

The experience of a hangover varies between individuals, but, generally it is characterized by headache, fatigue, dizziness, nausea, and dehydration. A hangover can also cause difficulty concentrating, sensitivity to light and noise, thirst, diarrhea, and lethargy. Psychological effects may include feelings of irritable, depressed, or anxious. For some people, just one alcoholic drink can result in a hangover, while others can drink heavily and still not experience a hangover.

The main reason people get hangovers is drinking too much alcohol. Generally, the body processes approximately one alcoholic drink per hour, so drinking many drinks over a short period increases the risk of a hangover once the intoxicating effects of alcohol are no longer felt. There are a number of reasons why drinking too much alcohol can lead to a hangover and some of these are described below.

http://www.news-medical.net/health/What-causes-a-hangover.aspx
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 12:03:41 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline uglybiker

Re: What causes a hangover?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 12:47:51 pm »

The main reason people get hangovers is drinking too much alcohol.

NO !
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 01:07:30 pm »
Speaking as a person who has a little experience in dealing with a hangover, I feel qualified to add the following tips.

The only cure that exists for a hangover is time.
Drinking lots of water and eating bananas and candy will help.
Coffee makes a hangover worse, not better. Coffee is a diuretic, which is the last thing you want if you have a hangover. And, the caffeine will make the shakes even worse. How the myth that coffee will sober you up got started I will never understand. Coffee does not make you sober at all. It just makes you shaky, jittery, and nervous. It's the worst thing to drink when hungover. Orange juice is ten times better for you.

Anyway, those are my comments for whatever they are worth.
Cheers!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 01:08:22 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 01:24:05 pm »
Not staying drunk causes hangovers.  :beer: :thud:
Not getting drunk prevents them.

When I found out the US Olympic Beer Drinking Team shirts were a joke!
:nometalk:, I broke training and quit.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis